Crag & Route Beta

Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
VIC Northwest Camel's Hump (General) (General) [ Camels Hump Guide | Images ] 

Author
Snow at Camels Hump??
surfinclimb
30-Jun-2009
10:21:06 AM
Everyone knows that it occasionally snows at camels, but how often is the question and how much? Does it get a blanket for 2 months every year or does it get the occasional dusting thats gone by the afternoon? Let us know and thanks.

nmonteith
30-Jun-2009
10:31:13 AM
No permanent blanket of snow, but what does fall does tend to stay around for a few days. It's evil up there in winter usually.

bluey
30-Jun-2009
10:40:44 AM
Weather forecast is for big nasty weather this week - Camel's will be a bloody cold, wet (and perhaps snowy) proposition.

nmonteith
30-Jun-2009
11:11:43 AM
p.s. - Snow at Camels isn't a freak once a year event. It would happen almost every time it snows on the main resorts.... it just doesn't stay around afterwards because of the lower altitude. It's that yucky zone where snow turns to sleet then cold rain, and the cliff drips with all this seepage.
simey
30-Jun-2009
1:04:49 PM
A good double whammy if you want that real miserable alpine experience would be completing a route on Camels Hump and also Ben Cairn in the depths of winter.
gfdonc
30-Jun-2009
2:28:53 PM
Local challenge .. kinda like doing The Nose and Half Dome in a day?
mikl law
1-Jul-2009
12:58:46 PM
no, The Nose and Tis sa ack at the Plaque area in a lifetime
climberer
1-Jul-2009
4:54:12 PM
When we had that cold snap a couple of weeks ago it was snowing on the mountain, but it was only a couple of cm and was gone by mid-morning. Last winter I only remember one day when there was full-on snow a couple of feet deep that lasted for a couple of days.

It just depends really. Mostly in winter it is cold and wet but there are good days. I was at Camel's Hump last Sunday morning taking photos and it was beautiful - sunny and dry. Would have definitely climbed if I'd had my gear (and I'm a wimp on cold rock).

It helps if you live nearby and can see what the weather's doing, rather than doing the trip from Melbourne with your fingers crossed... The best you can do is look at local weather forecasts before you leave, and try your luck. There's plenty of other stuff to do in the region if you get there and the climbing's looking too miserable...
BA
1-Jul-2009
5:45:05 PM
On 30/06/2009 nmonteith wrote:
>p.s. - Snow at Camels isn't a freak once a year event.

The original access took you through a snow grass saddle. That has to be a bit of a give-away, doesn't it?
kieranl
1-Jul-2009
9:56:07 PM
On 1/07/2009 BA wrote:
>On 30/06/2009 nmonteith wrote:
>>p.s. - Snow at Camels isn't a freak once a year event.
>
>The original access took you through a snow grass saddle. That
>has to be a bit of a give-away, doesn't it?

Probably did it with photoshop.

dougal
1-Jul-2009
10:34:08 PM
It's wet as crap at present.
BA
2-Jul-2009
5:40:53 PM
On 1/07/2009 kieranl wrote:

>>The original access took you through a snow grass saddle. That
>>has to be a bit of a give-away, doesn't it?
>
>Probably did it with photoshop.

Bugger off Kieran .. I know snowgrass ... it's the same stuff you get at Buffalo. As slippery as a butchers dick (to quote Mikl), and to be avoided at all costs. ;-b

mattjr
2-Jul-2009
7:50:15 PM

No photoshop.. I promise!!

There are 13 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints