HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Crag & Route Beta

Crag & Route Beta

Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
International (General) (General) (General)  

Author
Climbing in Bali

brat
24-Mar-2009
10:25:29 PM
Hi all, has anyone done any climbing in Bali, we have a 6 month old baby and would like to climb (sport/trad), surf and dive near to base, any ideas please?
Cheers
Chris
Johnie2.5
25-Mar-2009
2:12:14 PM
check out the video on udini.com about climbing in bali

G

brat
25-Mar-2009
9:14:18 PM
Thanks, can't wait to get there!

brat
28-Mar-2009
12:16:04 AM
PS the video's a bit ordinary but the location seems great!

figs
2-Mar-2012
3:17:55 PM
Did you check out the climbing around Pecatu / Padang Padang beach?

I'm going there soon but can't find much info on it. I wanna know if it's worth lugging a rope and draws there for the handful of bolted climbs. Apparently the bolts aren't great..?

All the info I could find...

http://cafebali.blogspot.com.au/
http://www.mountainproject.com/v/padang-padang-beach/107104349
http://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/Asia/Indonesia/Not_Java_Island/Bali/Pecatu/
http://www.udini.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=193:gibbon-climbing-club-bali-indonesia&catid=54:climbing&Itemid=148

figs
5-Mar-2012
9:42:31 AM
So no ones been climbing in Bali?

ado_m
6-Mar-2012
2:30:15 PM
don't do it if now - i explored options recently - gibbons climbing club closest to bali , but supposedly it is shitty rusty bolts, super sketch, no real safety understanding and potentially pissing down slippery limestone. on java there are decent options in north east supposedly, but don't bother until dry season. go to thailand instead

figs
6-Mar-2012
10:40:12 PM
well i'll be in the area anyway.. super sketch huh. wont bother with the rope and gear then.

figs
18-Apr-2012
2:43:08 PM
Just got back. Nice trip but not much climbing where we were: http://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/Asia/Indonesia/Not_Java_Island/Bali/Pecatu/

Couldn't really see any great bouldering (maybe we missed it) and the handful routes were not really worth it. Old bolts and right on a fairly busy beach.
dfinnecy
19-Apr-2012
5:14:29 PM
I went to Padang Padang beach, I didn't know there would be climbing there. It was a pleasant suprise to get in some beach side bouldering over deep sand. Climb the routes as high as you dare and jump off.

There were some local guys there climbing the routes, not too hard, 12-15 mtrs, nice limestone, kinda polished. Not worth lugging gear over for. The bolts didn't look too inspiring.

There are some climbs down in the cave at Ulu Watu as well. That is some sharp rock.

Go surfing. Go to Nusa Lembongan, awesome little island a short boat ride away.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
19-Apr-2012
5:24:19 PM
On 19/04/2012 dfinnecy wrote:
>There are some climbs down in the cave at Ulu Watu as well. That is some
>sharp rock.
>
There were no bolts there in the mid 70's. Heh, heh, heh.

>Go surfing. Go to Nusa Lembongan, awesome little island a short boat
>ride away.

I was in the second ever group to surf the right* at the jap shipwreck there...
The island 'chief' gave us a ceremonial welcome!!
I wonder if he still does that now the place has long-time been 'discovered'?

* ~> but it wasn't as good as the left off the far headland when the right started closing out due the swell size increasing!

There are plenty of other excellent surfing locations in that part of the world too, especially if one has a boat to get to them.

howzithanging?
19-Apr-2012
10:24:41 PM
there are bolts on a few routes on the walk down from uluwatu
dfinnecy
20-Apr-2012
8:44:36 AM
That's rad M9,

>I was in the second ever group to surf the right* at the jap shipwreck there...
>The island 'chief' gave us a ceremonial welcome!!
>I wonder if he still does that now the place has long-time been 'discovered'?

I didn't get a welcome from the chief but we hung out with some powerful lookin dudes grooming their c--ks, ahem, sorry, roosters.

It has been discovered but it is still a great change of pace from the hullabaloo around Kuta. It feels very friendly and mellow on the island, great surf, some amazing snorkeling, loads of places to explore.

No climbing though. There is some rock but you would need falconers gloves to grab it.
Dimitri
18-Jul-2013
7:04:10 PM
Hi Hi
I live in Bali and doing climbing there is possible!

There are several clubs with artificial walls, nothing extraodinary, but nice to take a look when you are in holiday. For example, im in the Gibon Climbing Club.

3 spots for naturals routes:
- Kintamani, hard to find if you dont know. There are high routes from 5 to 8 (europe cotation). We recently put new anchors ;)
- Padang Padang, some boulder and routes about 8m high max, but really old spits, you'll have to use natural anchors, trees, etc..
- Uluwatu, high routes about 40m high and some boulder. Same really old spits, you may manage to use column of the house on top of the cliff..

Sincerely, rock climbing is not the best of Bali, However, there are really good canyoning where you can go to unspoiled nature and abseil beautiful waterfall. Its awesome, and the team is nice. The tour that organize is Adventure & Spirit, definitely a must do in Bali ;)

You can contact me when you are in Bali if you need more info
c u
step95
27-Aug-2013
6:14:54 PM
Hi Dimitri can you email me on step95@hotmail.com.
Im in bali and would like to.go.for.a.climb but need info for the location of the crag ypu talk about.
Thanks

There are 15 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints