Page 2 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 33
Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
All NSW (General) (General) (General)  

Author
where is the crag at wingello?

hangdog
3-Feb-2009
6:18:42 PM
i just spent an hour google earthing and googling trying to a better picture of where this place is and just as i worked it out someone walks in and tells me that he has been there and can show me around. AAAAaaah
Ok so it killed some time. and yes DEFINATELY not a summer crag

wallwombat
3-Feb-2009
6:22:54 PM
On 3/02/2009 hangdog wrote:
>i just spent an hour google earthing and googling trying to a better picture
>of where this place is and just as i worked it out someone walks in and
>tells me that he has been there and can show me around. AAAAaaah
>Ok so it killed some time. and yes DEFINATELY not a summer crag

I can show you around anytime, when it is cooler. I live 30mins away from the crag.

rodw
3-Feb-2009
6:36:26 PM
Its a top place out of summer..but agree with everyone....... stay away atm as it bakes....thats why no new routes put up in te last few months.

Btw anyone going there...stay off projects...if unsure just stay off until you know...plenty of routes there now to keep you entertained until you confirm if a project or not.

Also if you got a 4wd you can pretty much get to the top of the crag to save you the walk back up the hill...its a killer.

BundyBear
10-Feb-2009
2:17:07 PM
The crag that does not exist now does exist.

http://www.climb.org.au/index.php?page_id=10&action=crag&crag_id=314

enjoy !!

widewetandslippery
11-Feb-2009
1:27:23 PM
Good intro Bundy. A few things to add. There is 1 shop in Wingello. Get what you need before you get there. Sutton Forest servo does shit coffee, good bacon and egg rolls. Buy a thermos. There is something wrong with someone who can drive from sydney to the gello prior to starting drinking coffee or beer.

The official campsite is obvious. You will drive past it. Pit dunny and water tank. If you camp somewhere else do so discreetly. Don't do it in front of a no camping sign.

Moutain bikers seem to have a good relationship with the state forest people and therefore national parks. Hopefully climbers will as land users continue this precedant in a good way.

The road is dying. The walk in from the top of the hill/sign/bee hives is about 40 mins. If you get your 2wd stuck get yourself out. Don't go crying mommy to the state forest or parks. Climbing don't need that sort of attention.

The brown snake warnings in the thread above are real. They are big and will kill you. Take an elastic bandage.

Most of developed climbing has a north or western aspect. The crag is a sun trap.

Don't go to the Marulan pub (Terminus Hotel), thats where I drink.

BundyBear
11-Feb-2009
2:02:22 PM
Complete guide here ==> http://www.climbinganchors.com.au/pages/wingello
WM
11-Feb-2009
5:31:21 PM
Hey Bundy the numbers don't match the topo for Rave Cave in the ACA guide

wallwombat
18-Feb-2009
8:56:37 PM
Went out to Wingello this arvo after work. The NP&WS have closed the road where it turns left down the first big hill (near the big clearing on the right where the bee hives used to be.) due to the recent bush fires.

I have walked in from there a few times and its not a hard walk - about 4km- but I reckon it's probably best to wait until they have finished their clean up.

I'm going to ring them tomorrow and suss out the situation.

rodw
18-Feb-2009
10:12:36 PM
Lol...whats the bet they dont open it? Did the fires get up that far?

wallwombat
18-Feb-2009
10:35:56 PM
It's closed with plastic tape like the police use at crime scenes. The road that goes straight ahead there is also closed. There was a number for enquiries on the sign - 02 48877270

The fire seems to have got as far as the Morton National Park sign at that corner, although it may have been back burned there.

I'll take a walk out there one day next week after work and have a look see.

BundyBear
19-Feb-2009
8:55:38 AM
On 18/02/2009 wallwombat wrote:
>It's closed with plastic tape like the police use at crime scenes. The
>road that goes straight ahead there is also closed. There was a number
>for enquiries on the sign - 02 48877270

Sounds like its only a temp closure (well I hope so anyway - I still got my project to tick)

I justed called them, they said they are just fixing up the road. It will be open again on the 31st March 2009.

** Please keep clear of this area until then, we dont want to be upsetting NPWS **

rodw
19-Feb-2009
9:27:15 AM
You can walk in still probably but no driving. If walking in you can walk down to la sancta wall then walk across the bottom to the other walls....that would be quicker? (thought the markers might have burnt down with the trees)

Mind you March 31st is about right for the gello season to start up again anyway...and maybe with a better road in.

BundyBear
19-Feb-2009
2:09:19 PM
A good road now. Check these piccys

http://www.wingello.rfsa.org.au/gulp%20rd%2044.html

Page 2 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 33
There are 33 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints