Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Crag & Route Beta

Crag & Route Beta

Page 2 of 3. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 46
Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
International (General) (General) (General)  

Author
Climbing in TONGA (+ also New Caledonia)!

nmonteith
25-Nov-2008
11:43:26 PM
http://maps.google.com.au/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=-21.286735,-174.920282&spn=0.012236,0.019312&t=h&z=16&msid=103346140635378518069.00045c82d0f4954afb510
Google map showing where the crag is...
devlin66
26-Nov-2008
12:13:35 AM
One of them. Check out the other end of the island here. I reckon that would be the cave in the photo with a nice overhanging point to the north as well.

EDIT

check out along the coast here on the main land. WOW!
bobjones
26-Nov-2008
6:05:51 AM
so on to the most important question - what are the nearest surf breaks?

I dream of finding the perfect climbing / surfing destination....

Capt_mulch
26-Nov-2008
6:15:57 AM
Hey, I'm with you Bob. I hope to score the same in a few weeks in Gizo in the Western Solomons. BTW - does anyone know about any climbing in New Caledonia (Noumea)? I know that Phil Box has been out there, but I don't think climbing Banyan trees is quite what I am looking for :-)

nmonteith
26-Nov-2008
7:57:56 AM
On 26/11/2008 Capt_mulch wrote:
>does anyone know about any climbing in New
>Caledonia (Noumea)?

My dad has spent a lot of time in the remote parts of New Caledonia and he said there was no decent rock anywhere. It was all dirt and jungle.

rodw
26-Nov-2008
8:13:16 AM
Yeah Ive been there and agree Neil....didnt see much worth climbing at all.

Capt_mulch
26-Nov-2008
8:27:45 AM
How about the French reds then? I'll have to give up the goon :-)

At least it looks like there's some bouldering:

http://www.newcaledoniatourism-south.com/Activities/category.cfm?cid=6

rodw
26-Nov-2008
8:52:59 AM
If there was good climbing there it would have been grid bolted long ago...its a french colony after all.
widewetandslippery
26-Nov-2008
8:59:07 AM
And the french really know how to dynamite fish for dolphins.

Capt_mulch
26-Nov-2008
10:54:53 AM
(Fake French accent) I 'ave received un reply avec le climb du haute montagne en New Caledonia:

there are 4 places for climbing here. 1 small (10MTRS high) in noumea, a
large one in tontouta (near airport), 2 others at koumac (north of NC)
Here below is the web page (in french!!!) of clubs in NC

http://www.ffme.fr/club/structureListe.php?ID_DEPARTEMENT=103

http://www.gecko-club.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=46

On my side, I am at the GECKO CLUB who does organize indoor training on
tuesday and thursday evening. During school holidays, they will closed
these sessions from mid december to mid february.

Capt_mulch
26-Nov-2008
11:31:19 AM
Looks like there's plenty of limestone there (New Caledonia):

http://www.gecko-club.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=34&Itemid=47

MrsM10iswhereitsat.
26-Nov-2008
11:33:42 AM
Hello Mr Capt_mulch.

Did you take a wander through the other photos on the links you provided dearie?
You might find your interest in aid climbing can be maintained while you are over there at this 100m high http://www.gecko-club.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=48&Itemid=47
Le monolythe de POYA

You might also want to treat their top rope setups with respect though, as a
http://www.gecko-club.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=62&Itemid=48
second photo of one young froggie topping out (on one of the NC climbing sites photos), shows him hanging off a single bit of gear a fair way up.

Capt_mulch
26-Nov-2008
11:41:16 AM
Ahh, oui oui!! Merci! C'est tres fantastique! (now I just need a stripy shirt and beret :-)
japosc
1-Dec-2008
8:32:08 AM
Back to Tonga.
I'm glad to see the post received so much attention. As there really is some cool stuff here. As for the
environmental aspects. There are some biologists here that are helping me determine where is good to
establish routes so we do the least about of damage. There still is potential for 100-200 routes on the
island. There is surfing near by on a different island. Look up Ha'atafu beach "resort". There is also some
deep water solo potential in Vava'u, the northern island group in Tonga. If any of you are interested in
helping with the work or hardware please drop me a line.
Cheers.

it seems I'm not receiving emails through the site, so try entering my email manually. japosc@mac.com

nmonteith
1-Dec-2008
8:58:55 AM
I've emailed you but got no reply... A couple of us are pretty pyched for a mid next year trip.
bones
19-Jul-2011
11:40:34 AM
Did anything come of this?
Might be heading to Tonga for a week in October and would love to squeeze in a bit of climbing.....

nmonteith
19-Jul-2011
11:50:20 AM
Nope
bones
19-Jul-2011
11:54:24 AM
hmm

anyone want to give me an accelerated crash course in bolting limestone and a loan of drill etc? ;)

Capt_mulch
19-Jul-2011
2:26:36 PM
Keep the Pacific island crag beta coming - in my new job I get to travel around the Pacific a bit - eehaa

Climboholic
14-Aug-2011
9:04:34 AM
Is anyone interested in following up on this? I could do 3 weeks over there later this year.

It sounds like the guy just went quite. I sent him an email asking how much development he did so hopefully I hear back. But he probably finished his tour with the Peace Corps and forgot all about Tonga.

Neil, I noticed you posted on rockclimbing.com. Did he ever get in touch with you?

Page 2 of 3. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 46
There are 46 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints