Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Crag & Route Beta

Crag & Route Beta

Page 2 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 35
Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
VIC Grampians Victoria Range Death March Wall (General) [ Grampians Guide | Images ] 

Author
Death March Wall - New Sporty route

ajfclark
25-Nov-2008
7:40:49 AM
On 24/11/2008 BA wrote:
>PS How do you apply italics or bold to replies?

bold = <b>bold</b>
italics = <i>italics</i>

wallwombat
25-Nov-2008
12:24:09 PM
How do you do the thing where you put a line through a word, like M9 does occasionally?

ajfclark
25-Nov-2008
12:33:23 PM
On 25/11/2008 wallwombat wrote:
>How do you do the thing where you put a line through a word, like M9 does occasionally?

strikethrough/deleted = <del>strikethrough/deleted</del>

In general you can just google "html tag [effect]".
kieranl
25-Nov-2008
12:38:54 PM
Good route Mark. You got me worried by the start of this thread, properly sucked in :)

Now, as a reward you can try the hanging off-width to the right of Whispers. Jeff Lamb had a fling at it many years ago but I don't know if there have been any other attempts.

** Post-edit ** Actually this is one is Wendy's style.

Pat
25-Nov-2008
12:39:56 PM
Just to keep it on topic - what's that thing called that hangs down the back of your throat?

ajfclark
25-Nov-2008
12:41:51 PM
On 25/11/2008 Pat wrote:
>Just to keep it on topic - what's that thing called that hangs down the back of your throat?

The little punching bag thing? The uvula.

The good Dr
26-Nov-2008
8:39:48 AM
The Super Dodgy Topo

kieranl
26-Nov-2008
9:15:01 PM
On 26/11/2008 Wingello Panther wrote:
>your pic makes the route looks like it goes straight up.
Which it would if it's starting left of NWBD, crossing it and finishing right of it. Very impressive bit of wall.

The good Dr
27-Nov-2008
8:33:42 AM
On 26/11/2008 Wingello Panther wrote:
>your pic makes the route looks like it goes straight up.
>good beta doc?

The line is pretty direct (the photo is very foreshortened)
MJH
29-Nov-2008
11:41:07 AM
Thanks Neil, but that doesn't help. I'll follow it up with Ramon.
So you and Retro Jo are the only sporties to place U bolts in the Vic Range?
I heard a rumour there are some dubious new mini sports routes at the Tower, possibly around the east side in a cave. Any info?

WM
30-Nov-2008
2:59:09 PM
On 29/11/2008 MJH wrote:
> Retro Jo

Hey Mick if you've got a bone to pick with Joe, by all means spit it out. Name calling is pretty pathetic though - not to mention defamatory.
fish boy
30-Nov-2008
9:17:04 PM
On 30/11/2008 WM wrote:
>On 29/11/2008 MJH wrote:
>> Retro Jo
>
> not to mention defamatory.

Only if it's not true......

Pat
30-Nov-2008
9:44:51 PM
I think you can still defame someone, even if its true, but maybe a lawyer type could square us away on
that one. Libel is when it not true - I think. Just don't call me a half wit or I'll sue:)
Atomic_Tomatoes
30-Nov-2008
11:09:11 PM
Defamation

What it is

The basic idea of defamation law is simple. It is an attempt to balance the private right to protect one's reputation with the public right to freedom of speech. Defamation law allows people to sue those who say or publish false and malicious comments.

There are two types of defamation.
* Oral defamation -- called slander -- for example comments or stories told at a meeting or party.
* Published defamation -- called libel -- for example a newspaper article or television broadcast. Pictures as well as words can be libellous.

Anything that injures a person's reputation can be defamatory. If a comment brings a person into contempt, disrepute or ridicule, it is likely to be defamatory.
* You tell your friends that the boss is unfair. That's slander of the boss.
* You write a letter to the newspaper saying a politician is corrupt. That's libel of the politician, even if it's not published.
* You say on television that a building was badly designed. That's libel due to the imputation that the architect is professionally incompetent, even if you didn't mention any names.
* You sell a book that contains defamatory material. That's spreading of a defamation.

The fact is, nearly everyone makes defamatory statements almost every day. Only very rarely does someone use the law of defamation against such statements.

Defences

When threatened with a defamation suit, most people focus on whether or not something is defamatory. But there is another, more useful way to look at it. The important question is whether you have a right to say it. If you do, you have a legal defence.

If someone sues you because you made a defamatory statement, you can defend your speech or writing on various grounds. There are three main types of defence:

* what you said was true;
* you had a duty to provide information;
* you were expressing an opinion.
For example:
* You can defend yourself on the grounds that what you said is true.
* If you have a duty to make a statement, you may be protected under the defence of "qualified privilege." For example, if you are a teacher and make a comment about a student to the student's parents -- for example, that the student has been naughty -- a defamation action can only succeed if they can prove you were malicious. You are not protected if you comment about the student in the media.
* If you are expressing an opinion, for example on a film or restaurant, then you may be protected by the defence of "comment" or "fair comment," if the facts in your statement were reasonably accurate.
* There is an extra defence if you are a parliamentarian and speak under parliamentary privilege, in which case your speech is protected by "absolute privilege," which is a complete defence in law. The same defence applies to anything you say in court.

The same basic defences apply throughout Australia, although the things you have to prove to apply them may differ. For example, in some Australian states, truth alone is an adequate defence. In other states, a statement has to be true and in the public interest -- if what you said was true but not considered by the court to be in the public interest, you can be successfully sued for defamation.

nmonteith
1-Dec-2008
8:57:05 AM
On 29/11/2008 MJH wrote:
>Thanks Neil, but that doesn't help. I'll follow it up with Ramon.

I just thought I'd point you in the direction of a whole topic devoted to that question!

>So you and Joe Godding are the only sporties to place U bolts in the Vic
>Range?

As far as i'm aware - everyone else places rings or expansions.

>I heard a rumour there are some dubious new mini sports routes at the
>Tower, possibly around the east side in a cave. Any info?

I don't know of anything done recently, but there is a route that Kent and I did in 2003 called Donky Kong Jnr (23) which is around the back side in a cave. One carrot and two ring bolts.

Page 2 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 35
There are 35 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints