Crag & Route Beta

Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
VIC Southwest You Yangs (General) (General) [ You Yangs Guide | Images ] 

Author
funny business at the N.W outcrop

westie
11-Feb-2008
8:54:13 AM
Anyone whos climbed here in the past few months would have noticed the odd activity in the valley below the North Western outcrop. You would have also noticed on the walk in that 'farmer joe' has put up surveillance cameras along his fenceline. Interesting.

Walking back to the car on the weekend I noticed a couple of climbers sniffing around the crappy boulders in farmer joes top paddock ingnoring the cameras and multiple signs to keep out. I fancy if we all want to keep sneaking around this area its a bloody good idea to keep out of the signposted area and just jump the fence at the fence junction and head to the climbs from there. Maybe city folks have some funny ideas about property but I know country folk have very definite ideas.

Any ideas on what's going on? looks like a film/TV set of some sort.

Also kudos to whoever has that new(ish) project in the area. Bloody thin over that buldge.
dalai
11-Feb-2008
9:25:11 AM
I'd suggest Spielberg's The Pacific...

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22732991-2862,00.html

westie
11-Feb-2008
10:18:53 AM
On 11/02/2008 dalai wrote:
>I'd suggest Spielberg's The Pacific...

That'll be a funny footnote for the trainspotters.

"...In the distance over Tom Hank's shoulder you'll notice a rock climber pumping out on the north face of Iwo jama."

tmarsh
11-Feb-2008
12:38:15 PM
They say that war is hell. Which must be true if you can film it in the You Yangs. At least they won't have to overdub the sound of gunfire.

nmonteith
11-Feb-2008
12:43:40 PM
Your a quotable quotes machine Mr Marsh.
WM
11-Feb-2008
12:51:25 PM
thats the best crag sledge I've ever heard

Westie there's a bit more info on that project here: http://www.chockstone.org/Forum/Forum.asp?Action=DisplayTopic&ForumID=15&MessageID=2946&PagePos=&Sort=&Replies=44&MsgPagePos=40

IdratherbeclimbingM9
11-Feb-2008
12:51:34 PM
>At least they won't have to overdub the sound of gunfire.

SCV and the percussion hammer drill mob no doubt!

westie
11-Feb-2008
1:32:32 PM
On 11/02/2008 WM wrote:

>Westie there's a bit more info on that project here:

cheers.
dalai
11-Feb-2008
1:40:53 PM
On 11/02/2008 WM wrote:
>Westie there's a bit more info on that project here: http://www.chockstone.org/Forum/Foru
>.asp?Action=DisplayTopic&ForumID=15&MessageID=2946&PagePos=&Sort=&Replies=44&MsgPagePos=40

That didn't provide any more details other that a hold has ripped off it...

Where on the crag is it?

harold
11-Feb-2008
6:25:09 PM
The movie set is in the dam in the paddock below North Western. I was climbing there the other day while they were doing a few takes. There were calls of 'action' through a loud speaker, really loud machine gun noises and guys running and yelling through these fake hills and trees in the dam. Quite entertaining.
As Westie says, please don't go taking short cuts through the paddock because they are probably a bit paranoid about trespassers while all their movie gear is set up down there. It is not any longer to walk around the fence line.
My project is the face between Virgo and Talmud. I took a break from it for a while but I have got some motivation back and am hoping to get it done in the next few months. All this talk of projects lately on chocky. I expect it will take quite a few days, so if anyone wants a climbing partner out at north western, shoot me an email - I am keen as to get out there.
WM
11-Feb-2008
7:16:22 PM
dalai
12-Feb-2008
9:17:43 AM
Looks great Harold!

Glad to see someone out there and doing new routes. I remember looking at that wall from the ground a long time ago thinking it looked poossible and would make a good You Yangs face route.

Best of luck with the send!

There are 12 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints