Page 1 of 3. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 55
Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
All NSW (General) (General) (General)  

Author
Weddin Mountains (near Grenfell) & Nangar Cliffs

Capt_mulch
20-Nov-2007
9:30:52 AM
Has anyone climbed in the Weddin Mountains in the Weddin Mountains National Park near Grenfell in NSW? The NPWS brochure shows a beautiful curving cliff line that's about 18km long and lots of rock. The same goes for Conimbla and Nangar National Parks, which are nearby (and only a couple of hours from Canberra!!).

wallwombat
20-Nov-2007
9:42:10 AM
Mulchy. I spend a lot of time in Grenfell and I have checked out both sides of the range. It is choss and choss of the big detached block variety. I believe it is a bit too dangerous to climb there and a possible death sentence to belay there.

There might be a little potential at one of the lookouts but only to a devout lover of choss.

Shame.

Capt_mulch
20-Nov-2007
9:47:08 AM
I suspected as much. Looked like there was plenty of bouldering potential there though. It's sad to see so much cliff and so little quality. I'm going to check it out anyway as the best the about Canberra is the road out of here (it looks like there are some nice walks there too).

wallwombat
20-Nov-2007
10:02:52 AM
There is some good looking granite boulders out there but most are on private property.

I've bouldered in Ben Halls Cave on the other side of the mountain. Crappy but I wanted to be able to say, 'I've bouldered in Ben Halls Cave'.

If you are going to check it out let me know as I'm in Grenfell every couple of weeks. We can have a go at the lookout cliff. You're belaying , though.

Yes, I have wanted to traverse the range for ages. Take a couple of days but your on top of Weddin Mountain for the whole time. It would be a good walk.

Warning: It gets bloody hot out there. Crazy-loco-feels-like-you-are-in-a-desert hot. Plan accordingly.

Capt_mulch
20-Nov-2007
10:14:36 AM
OK, it sounds like a cooler weather jaunt, but I'm still interest WW. The funny thing about "hot" is that it is all relative. I recently spent three years in the tropics and it was in the low thirties every day and max humidity, so when it is hot here I'm really not feeling to bad. OK, I sweat like a pig so doing anything strenuous like a cranking climb would not be a good idea, but bouldering with an esky of beer in a pile of ice sounds fun.

> Widewetandslippery and I are going to be hitting Bungonia a bit as it gets hotter
Give me a yell - I'm definitely interested! (though take it easy on me, OK?. No John Fantini death routes please!).

wallwombat
20-Nov-2007
10:29:57 AM
Check out Nerriga. It's close to Canberra. There is heaps of sandstone. There is primo camping ,next to a beautiful river. You'd love it.

There is a guide here.

http://www.canberraclimbing.com/pages/climbing/nerriga.htm

Capt_mulch
20-Nov-2007
10:47:07 AM
Nerriga has been on my list for a while. In fact, I think I'll go there this weekend. If I can convince my wife that there are some fish in the river, she'll be happy too. BTW, is Nerriga all trad? Are there any belay bolts?

wallwombat
20-Nov-2007
10:57:48 AM
It's mainly bolted sport climbs.

rodw
20-Nov-2007
11:30:02 AM
The river is apparently really good fishing, so you wont even be lying...for camping just after the bridge hang a right on the dirt track that seems to go under the bridge, just before you get to the bridge though there is a sharp left hand track that follows the river along...thats is were you want to camp.

Capt_mulch
20-Nov-2007
11:35:27 AM
Excellent beta, thanks.
mikl law
20-Nov-2007
12:04:22 PM
Check out nangar. I climbed there in the 70's and it was good then, but had a death walk in (from the highway). There may be better access now.
2 cliffs, blocky orange rock with natural pro

Capt_mulch
20-Nov-2007
12:51:14 PM
> There may be better access now.
Ace Cooper didn't drag you in there on one of his epics did he? :-)
The NPWS brochure has a photo of Mount Nangar that looks sweeeet. The map shows a decent road to Dripping Rock, which is about 2km from Mount Nangar, and there is a camping ground at Terarra Creek which looks about 3km of Murga Mountain. What was the rock Mike? Quartzite or Sandstone??

rodw
20-Nov-2007
1:45:07 PM
Heres a piccy of the place,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ljackson/124909527/

One of the guys on Cragx was scoping it out for potential.
widewetandslippery
20-Nov-2007
1:50:37 PM
That looks pretty good. Who went there. You aren't keeping secrets from me?

Capt_mulch
20-Nov-2007
2:09:36 PM
Quick, in there this weekend and bag some routes!!

GravityHound
20-Nov-2007
2:24:47 PM
Ask M9 about Nangar. He has actually climbed there.

I have been keen to get out there and have a look (pretty close to home) but have yet to venture.

rodw
20-Nov-2007
2:28:38 PM
Do a search in Cragx dude and you find the thread.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
20-Nov-2007
4:15:58 PM
mikl wrote
>Check out nangar. I climbed there in the 70's and it was good then, but had a death walk in (from the highway). There may be better access now.
>2 cliffs, blocky orange rock with natural pro

&

>Ask M9 about Nangar. He has actually climbed there.

I lived near it for a few years (& almost bought a property adjacent it), and actually asked Mikl about his experience there while trying to suss what had/hadn't been done. Mikl prolly doesn't remember me as I was just another customer, because he was working for Mtn Dsgns (Canberra ?), at the time and had a broken wrist/arm that he was recovering from ...
Told me he couldn't remember too much about what he had done there and to consider anything I did as a new route!

It is more like one continuous horseshoe shaped cliffline, though it rises and falls in height becomes scrappy discontinuous a bit in places, but extends for a couple of km.
It is definitely orange coloured and climbs are only natural pro, and in my opinion the rock is quite splintered with a tendancy to sharp slithers in lots of places, ... ~> hard on your gear.
Don't be put off adventuring as amongst this however are some good lines, particularly on the headwall at the Sth end (hook of the horseshoe), which is av. approx 80 - 120m in height (ie 2 to 3 pitches), with overhanging territory amongst it.
Me and mate/s put up about 10 lines (all free), on the Western escarpment and 3 or 4 lines (mostly aid), on the headwall, but never got around to doing anything on the East escarpment. Forbes Snr Scouts had put up 3 lines (& possibly more) in the vicinity of the major weakness (scramble gully) at the Wst end of the Sthn Headwall. Though I tried, I was unable to find any further detail from the Scouts, but what they did was initialled with white paint at the starts thereof.
Nothing I have done there is written up, though if it was to be developed further I would contribute my notes ...

Re the Weddin Mtns; I agree that it is mostly choss. A few lines could be unearthed amongst it, but probably would take considerable effort to find!

The boulders around Eugowra have much greater potential in my opinion, and I have done a dozen or so lines there on the taller ones (mostly aid).

Capt_mulch
20-Nov-2007
7:03:48 PM
This is starting to sound good Rod. What is the rock type??
climberman
20-Nov-2007
9:10:38 PM
On 20/11/2007 rodw wrote:
>The river is apparently really good fishing, so you wont even be lying...for
>camping just after the bridge hang a right on the dirt track that seems
>to go under the bridge, just before you get to the bridge though there
>is a sharp left hand track that follows the river along...thats is were
>you want to camp.

OK, now I'm really interested... what fish ?

Page 1 of 3. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 55
There are 55 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints