Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
All NSW (General) (General) (General)  

Author
Weddin Mountains (near Grenfell) & Nangar Cliffs

wallwombat
20-Nov-2007
10:22:28 PM
On 20/11/2007 climberman wrote:
>OK, now I'm really interested... what fish ?

Mainly native fish. Native Bass, etc

http://www.southcoast.com.au/clyderiver/index.html

GravityHound
20-Nov-2007
10:36:21 PM
On 20/11/2007 wallwombat wrote:
>On 20/11/2007 climberman wrote:
>>OK, now I'm really interested... what fish ?
>
>Mainly native fish. Native Bass, etc
>
>http://www.southcoast.com.au/clyderiver/index.html

Nah. Bass arent found on the western side of the mountains. Going to find silver perch, golden perch (yellow belly), some Murray Cod if your lucky and plenty of carp as well.

wallwombat
20-Nov-2007
10:51:36 PM
Nerriga isn't on the western side of the mountains.

The web site says the Clyde River contains Native Bass. Considering it's one of the most pristine rivers in NSW , I think it might.

rodw
21-Nov-2007
8:10:17 AM
Its the Endrick River and its Trout..also take your metal detector and your non climbers can go gold porspecting...had a chat a few years ago with the publican and at the time he showed me a jar full of gold nuggets he had gotten by walking around with a detector around were the crags are.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
21-Nov-2007
8:42:43 AM
On 20/11/2007 Capt_mulch wrote:
>This is starting to sound good Rod. What is the rock type??

I think it is some sort of metamorphosed siltstone. Am seeking confirmation from a learned mate. Will give further feedback when available however when replying to you I got the following message ...
... 'Unable to send message. Recipient's private message store is full.'

Capt_mulch
21-Nov-2007
8:50:44 AM
Thanks Rod, PM inbox is now empty.

I like the gold prospecting idea - you could make the trip pay for itself!

GravityHound
21-Nov-2007
9:34:11 AM
On 20/11/2007 wallwombat wrote:
>Nerriga isn't on the western side of the mountains.
>
>The web site says the Clyde River contains Native Bass. Considering it's
>one of the most pristine rivers in NSW , I think it might.

Ah, my mistake. Thought it was Nangar. Sorry.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
21-Nov-2007
9:40:15 AM
Even in wet years the intermittent minor stream coming out of Nangar into the Mandagery Ck does not carry much water, so no fishing there I'm afraid.

wallwombat
21-Nov-2007
9:48:03 AM
On 21/11/2007 GravityHound wrote:
>On 20/11/2007 wallwombat wrote:
>>Nerriga isn't on the western side of the mountains.
>>
>>The web site says the Clyde River contains Native Bass. Considering it's
>>one of the most pristine rivers in NSW , I think it might.
>
>Ah, my mistake. Thought it was Nangar. Sorry.

That's OK. I was wrong too, Houndman.

For some reason, I thought it was the Clyde. The Endrick could well have some Australian Bass in it too. A lot of those South Coast rivers do.

Capt_mulch
21-Nov-2007
1:49:25 PM
> Heres a piccy of the place,
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/ljackson/124909527/
> One of the guys on Cragx was scoping it out for potential.

This guy has some great pics on his flickr site - can anyone give me some beta on where the crags in the flickr album are?

wallwombat
21-Nov-2007
3:44:25 PM
I could only find one photo of Nangar. The rest seemed to be a mix between the Blueys, the Bungles and Frog Butress, with a little bit of Ebor Falls there too.

I would be very keen to go and check out Nangar , once summer is gone. Some of the aid routes that Rod put up on the 120m headwall sound great.

Capt_mulch
21-Nov-2007
3:48:49 PM
> once summer is gone. Some of the aid routes that Rod put up on the 120m headwall sound great
Count me in, I'll have my aid gear by then too (Aid, the climbing that dare not speak it's name!)

IdratherbeclimbingM9
21-Nov-2007
3:54:05 PM
>once summer is gone

&

Mikl wrote
>but had a death walk in

I too have had horrie experiences with heat there. High 30's / low 40's is not uncommon and the amphitheatre makes for negligible breeze. This is why we did more routes on the West escarpment because it was in shade from mid arvo onwards …

Winter is good for the headwall end as it faces North.

Capt_mulch
21-Nov-2007
3:58:02 PM
Perfect excuse for getting out of Canberra and it's finger tip heat sucking granite in Winter. But then of course, there's ice climbing at Blue Lake...

IdratherbeclimbingM9
21-Nov-2007
4:13:51 PM
Believe me, if it is too hot to climb at Booroomba, then Nangar would be worse! Further west and lower elevation for starters ...

For further general info here (following) is a cut'n'paste (slightly edited), of select portions of a PM conversation/s I had (a while back), about the area ...

>>>>Enjoy your aid climbing.

>>You ought to give Nangar Cliff (between Orange and Eugowra) a bash. Even
>>mikl has climbed there in days of yore.

>i think i can se nangar from the top of mt canobalas and have wondered about that
>often. will have to have a look at it. any guides ever written on it?

No guide to Nangar. Forbes Senior Scouts (Adventurers?), did a couple of routes there in very early days, but I was unable to track further details.
Mike Law did some stuff there but couldn't provide further info. He encouraged me to simply claim anything I did as a first ascent.

We did some single pitch routes on the Western rim. Ian called the one he led 'Red Sails in the Sunset' (a crack and face), but I don't think they have 'officially' been written up. Another was 'Done in Dunlops' (an off-hands-size layback corner crack and face), both at about grade mid teens; the others don't recall as anything particularly significant ...
Must find my old notes and send them in to Sydney Rockies new-routes-collator sometime.
I have also done some longer routes on the main South rim. The best of which is a two and a half pitch route on a pretty obvious line being the arete at LH side (facing cliff), of the gully (a weakness that leads to being able to scramble to the top). It has a thin rurp seam splitting a clean face above a sort of pedestal with loose blocks on it.
I think the Scouts had tried the line due a couple of rurp scars on the seam, but when I got higher on it I saw no signs of their passing, and there was no initials at its base unlike where the Scouts initialled a couple of lines they did in the same area but tending more on the RHS of the gully.

It is further in to it than it looks. For a 1st time you would lose a couple of hours each way easily, if walking from the Orange-Eugowra road side. At least 3 km from where you can park a car then through private property to the 'NP' which is basically the last steep uphill bit. The old fellah who owned the flatter valley land is prolly dead now, so don't know if access has since become restricted.

There is a 4wd track up the back from 'Glen Echo' but access may be restricted these days as it also starts through private property then enters the NP; ... who these days lock gates on everything.

The rock has a propensity to flake in very sharp slithers, so be careful how you rig your pro ...

Capt_mulch
21-Nov-2007
4:24:21 PM
Rod, how long since you've been there? I picked up a NPWS brochure in Cowra last year that shows a with a camping area at Terrara Creek. I might need to do some plain walking there to scope it first.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
21-Nov-2007
4:29:00 PM
I lived in that area '93 - '98 and checked it out pretty thoroughly then.
I am not sure where Terrara Ck is, but suspect it to be on the Canowindra (Sth) side. I generally accessed the place by the shortest distance to walk from a main road, ie which means from the North ...

GravityHound
22-Nov-2007
11:10:19 AM
Nangar is under an hour from where I live so if anyone is heading out there and dont mind an extra tagging along, let me know. i am keen to check it out.

Capt_mulch
22-Nov-2007
11:21:48 AM
On 22/11/2007 GravityHound wrote:
>Nangar is under an hour from where I live so if anyone is heading out there and dont mind an extra >tagging along, let me know. i am keen to check it out.

Me too, it's on the list. I'll give you a yell when I work out a date...

wallwombat
22-Nov-2007
11:32:57 AM
I might go and have a look late next week. I'll be in Grenfell and its less than 100 kms from there. If I get a day thats not too hot, I'll put the walking boots and do some exploring. I'll let you guys know if I do.

Page 2 of 3. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 55
There are 55 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints