Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 21
Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
All ACT (General) (General) (General)  

Author
Directions for Wickerslack Crag, Queanbeyan

Capt_mulch
17-Sep-2007
4:08:39 PM
Does anyone have any specific directions to Wickerslack Crag, near Queanbeyan? I can find Wickerslack Lane, just off Old Cooma Rd on Google Maps.

pat
17-Sep-2007
4:27:27 PM
Gee that takes me back 25 years to my very first climb. Its a pretty small outcrop, unless things have developed since I was there. Three small top ropes and a blank abseil. I was with a school group and was bored with the climbs and asked if I could try to climb the abseil. Crimped my way up on micro edges in giant Blundstones. Been hooked ever since (on climbing that is.) I remember that it is on the LHS as you go along the road and down towards the river. Probably the Molonglo. You should be able to find it if you just go out and poke around. You could do much better than that in the ACT area if you are looking for riverside crags though.

wallwombat
17-Sep-2007
4:50:58 PM
Mulchy, why do you want to go there? It hardly sounds inspiring.

All that beautiful granite just sitting there waiting and your looking for directions to this joint.

Make sure you go and check out Mount Alexandra at Mittagong next time you drive up to Sydney. Even if you don't have time to climb, it's only 10 mins from the car park so you should at least have a look.

Have you been to Nerriga?

cruze
17-Sep-2007
5:11:50 PM
It is a good beginner area with about 5 sets of stainless anchors. Climb wherever you want at grade 5-18. I am assuming it is for your wife's cousin. Access is a breeze. Park somewhere near Webber Place in southern Queanbeyan and head south-west along a combination of fire trails at an angle of about 45 degrees to the river. It is the only sizeable outcrop about 100m south of an old mine/quarry. It is the grey blob towards the top of the following map:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=queanbeyan&ie=UTF8&ll=-35.381733,149.247277&spn=0.003193,0.004989&t=h&z=18&om=1

Capt_mulch
17-Sep-2007
5:51:21 PM
I'm getting my wifes cousin into climbing - he's got good attitude and is stoked after flashing a 14 at Kambah Rocks on his first climb. I want to take him to some climbs that are close to build his confidence. Its also nice to try some different rock.

I'll definitely check out Alexandra as I'm heading past there at least once a month.

Don't know Nerriga - where is it?

wallwombat
17-Sep-2007
7:22:44 PM
On 17/09/2007 Capt_mulch wrote:
>Don't know Nerriga - where is it?

East of Goulburn. North of Braidwood. On the road to Nowra, if you decide to go that way (that sounds stupid). The road continues past Nerriga , past Tianjara Falls , past the turn off to the northern end of the Budawangs and ends up in Nowra. Some nice sandstone sport climbs. Great camping on the Clyde River.

Edward Sillypants
17-Sep-2007
8:51:37 PM
>Nowra. Some nice sandstone sport climbs...

No !!! you can't be serious .
YOU CAN NOT BE SERIOUS !!!

Wombat, you are a genius !!! No one on this forum knew that !!!???

Ive heard there is a nice big crag out the back of Natimuk ' somewhere ' ... sssshhhhh;-)

wallwombat
17-Sep-2007
9:50:26 PM
On 17/09/2007 Edward Sillypants wrote:
>>Nowra. Some nice sandstone sport climbs...
>
>No !!! you can't be serious .
>YOU CAN NOT BE SERIOUS !!!
>
>Wombat, you are a genius !!! No one on this forum knew that !!!???
>
>Ive heard there is a nice big crag out the back of Natimuk ' somewhere
>' ... sssshhhhh;-)
>

I was referring to Nerriga, you fruckin tool.

Edward Sillypants
17-Sep-2007
10:13:47 PM
On 17/09/2007 wallwombat wrote:
>On 17/09/2007 Edward Sillypants wrote:
>>>Nowra. Some nice sandstone sport climbs...
>>
>>No !!! you can't be serious .
>>YOU CAN NOT BE SERIOUS !!!
>>
>>Wombat, you are a genius !!! No one on this forum knew that !!!???
>>
>>Ive heard there is a nice big crag out the back of Natimuk ' somewhere
>>' ... sssshhhhh;-)
>>
>
>I was referring to Nerriga, you fruckin tool.
>
>

Lol ... isn't the internet wonderful ... lower class AHEM !!! working class people who once felt alienated by middle class environments such as Chockstone, can now interact with ' them snobby bastards up there !!! '

Its OK , mate , one day you will learn the subletease of irony ;P

>wallwombat
>23/02/2007
>10:55:16 AM

>Thanks. As I said , I'm an idiot!

wallwombat
17-Sep-2007
10:36:18 PM
Don't kid yourself by considering yourself a master of irony. You aren't. You are a sad little fabrication of a human being who displays serious pathological behavior. You are the kind of pathetic creature that ends up topping themselves. I feel sorry for you. : (

Write whatever you want. I've finally resorted to the ignore tab. Life is too short to waste time on your demented histrionics. Goodbye you sad little man.

wallwombat
17-Sep-2007
11:01:04 PM
I apologise to everyone on this forum. I have let this troll bring me down to his level.

muki
17-Sep-2007
11:44:28 PM
Don't let em get to you, I've had to come to terms with the shit heads on this site myself, in the early
days when I was naive & altruistic I thought that this site would be great to talk to other climbers and
share info, and I would be able to get info from other like minds, then all the trolls started up, at first I
did'nt understand the concept of trolls, mean petty ugly creatures that live under bridges, well I got
sucked in thinking that this person was for real, now I just hit the ignore comment button as well as the
vote off button and get on with trying to have a good time! Now all I see is a little grey box that lets me
know I have saved myself the trouble of having to deal with their pathetic cry's for attention. BP

rodw
18-Sep-2007
7:36:28 AM
See what happens wombat, a few weks ago you were a calm, level headed trad climber, you discover some boulders last week and you become a angry (not so young) man....come back to sport climbing dude and you can have the best of both worlds.

Capt_mulch
18-Sep-2007
8:30:38 AM
> I have let this troll bring me down to his level.

Doesn't bother me, I'm actually quite impressed. Remind me never to f#($ up if I'm belaying you sometime...

Thanks for the betas though, I've now got plenty to play with, though I haven't been to Booroomba yet - it looks like I could spend plenty of time down there. The other good thing is I've now got a belayer in the family - my wife is a Solomon Islander and her cousin is half Solo / half Aussie. In Solomon Island culture cousins have to do what their older cousins tell them - bwah ha ha!!! - that is until the Aussie side kicks in....

wallwombat
18-Sep-2007
10:48:20 AM
Booroomba is great. When your wife's cousin gets everything dialed, take him up there. He will love it.

I'm keen to get up there. Anytime.

Edward Sillypants
18-Sep-2007
6:59:24 PM
On 17/09/2007 wallwombat wrote:
>Don't kid yourself by considering yourself a master of irony. You aren't.
>You are a sad little fabrication of a human being who displays serious
>pathological behavior. You are the kind of pathetic creature that ends
>up topping themselves. I feel sorry for you. : (
>
>Write whatever you want. I've finally resorted to the ignore tab. Life
>is too short to waste time on your demented histrionics. Goodbye you sad
>little man.

:D

' histrionics ' ... that's a big werd 4 a self-confessed/confussed idiot !!! :D

I believe on ur side of town they use the quaint term ' drama queen ' ;-)

Peek-a-boo !!! at u 2 , from behind the ignore tab ...
grangrump
21-Sep-2007
2:04:36 PM
On 17/09/2007 cruze wrote:
>... It is the only sizeable outcrop about 100m south of an old mine/quarry. It is the grey blob towards the top of the following
>http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=queanbeyan&ie=UTF8&ll=-35.381733,149.24777&spn=0.003193,0.004989&t=h&z=18&om=1

Um you'll find it is the southernmost grey outcrop near the middle of that link, overlooking the river (crag faces ca NE?). Basically park in the suburbs just North and stroll southwards past the very old lime pits and through the quarry (also visible in link).

Nice summer after work craglet for a bit of rock variety occasionally.
Someone (hatman?) wrote up the routes, but just toprope anything.
I normally take a pair of secateurs as the wild roses usually need pruning.
You may encounter some feral minibikes, but seldom actually at the crag.

Capt_mulch
21-Sep-2007
3:56:18 PM
Good one, thanks for the beta.
grangrump
21-Sep-2007
4:28:29 PM
Capt Mulch
I've PMed you a copy of the route descriptions.

cruze
21-Sep-2007
4:52:52 PM
the link must work differently on my computer because it is most definitely at the top. doesn't matter I am sure you will find it.

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 21
There are 21 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints