Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
VIC Grampians Victoria Range (General) (General) [ Grampians Guide | Images ] 

Author
hindu kush
hairy1
2-May-2007
1:52:29 PM
Hi everyone

I know a few of you have been to the Hindu Kush. Thinking of going there in a couple of weeks time, weather permitting.

From the VRG and update it seems like there might be a couple of ways in (though i might be getting confused here) - any suggestions/tips?

the group will be mainly comprising of people leading in the 12 - 18 bracket - are there sufficient decent routes that they're are not going to be scared to death/put off? :-)

anyone done frank zappa? that the climb i'm keen on....

cheers

hairy

nmonteith
2-May-2007
2:25:05 PM
Its a pretty shit crag hairy1. I went there about 6 months ago, a long walk to a very spread out crag with
little in the way of inspirational lines. Frank Zappa is a total death route. It doesn't appear to have any
gear, and looks like a total sandbag at the grade. I even scrambled around to the top of the route to look
down and still didn't see any good good above the 1/3 mark. There is a lot of rock, and not much to
climb.

The easist way in is via Swamp Wall, then up left of this and follow the ridge. Joe Godding installed a
heap of ugly tape markers for most of this walk. Expect at least a 45 minute walk.

mousey
2-May-2007
3:10:44 PM
i went there last weekend and its not actually there anymore. parks victoria flattened the whole area for a friggen chopper rescue station.
and they whinge about our bloody bolts!

nmonteith
2-May-2007
3:14:24 PM
p.s the adventure climber may enjoy this place. The descents are epic, the rock is loose and the lines
are very un-obvious. Sounds perfect hey? It also rains a lot (cops the clouds from Chimney Pots massif)

mousey
2-May-2007
3:18:32 PM
are you not listening to me neil?

nmonteith
2-May-2007
3:27:49 PM
u also have to be careful of the Indian and Pakistani military.

mousey
2-May-2007
3:28:24 PM
you saw them too? i thought it was just the shit we'd been smoking ay
i never imagined that they would wear such bright coloured overalls

Macciza
2-May-2007
3:41:32 PM
>Frank Zappa is a total death route.
Hey I'm a Zappa fan - please tell me where this route is - I gotta climb it . . .
I thought he meant the Hindu Kush in the Hindu Kush

mousey
2-May-2007
3:45:50 PM
i put up a DWS route called 'i am the walrus' in honour of zappas cover. he was a dude!

Breezy
3-May-2007
9:58:35 AM
On 2/05/2007 Macciza wrote:
>>Frank Zappa is a total death route.
>Hey I'm a Zappa fan - please tell me where this route is - I gotta climb
>it . . .
>I thought he meant the Hindu Kush in the Hindu Kush

i was thinking it was a completely different kind of 'hindu kush' :)

Macciza
3-May-2007
10:18:20 AM
Yeah likewise ;-}

JamesMc
3-May-2007
9:55:41 PM
I've been there a couple of times & thought it wasn't a bad crag. There's certainly a fair bit of walking involved in a visit - its name was inspiredby Eric Newby's book. Jesus Gotta Do This gr 18 stands out as a great route.

JamesMc
kieranl
3-May-2007
10:01:48 PM
Meg and I walked in while preparing the old Vic Range Guide before any climbs were done and were not impressed. Also had more than the usual quota of tiger snakes to jump on that day (3).
Mind you, I wasn't impressed with the Eureka Walls either so we all make mistakes.
jgoding
13-May-2007
1:37:30 PM
I've been in there and generally was not impressed.

The walking track has been recently remarked with yellow tape in the trees and some more cairns. We felt it was appropriate, so that the bush does not get too trashed from bush bashing.

We didn't get to the far reaches of the climbing area (where the best climbing is supposed to be). A friend has climbed a few routes there and said it was worth a visit.

If you do end up getting any good climbing photos I think Michael Hampton might appreciate it if you could forward any good ones to him for his new Vic Ranges guide.

Hope you find some good climbing there...
for fox sake
24-May-2007
2:30:14 PM
Someone ought to tell Mousey that Lennon was actually the Walrus ! ! Oo-kooky-choo

There are 15 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints