Goto Chockstone Home

  Guide
  Gallery
  Tech Tips
  Articles
  Reviews
  Dictionary
  Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

      Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

  Shop
FREIGHT FREE
in Australia

Black Diamond: Camelot X4 - Size 0.2 (Yellow) Strength: 6kN Range: 9.9 to 16.5mm   $75.00
25% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints





Chockstone Forum - Crag & Route Beta

Crag & Route Beta

Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
VIC Grampians Northern Hollow Mountain & Surrounds (General) [ Grampians Guide | Images ] 

Author
Drawn arrows along path

swampy
26/04/2007
12:40:06 PM
Just wondering what somebody was thinking when they decided to draw dot to dot arrows on the rocks along the walk in towards Cut Lunch Walls?
The easy-to-follow track which has cairns in place, and massive walls as handrails to follow now has the addition of arrows, some drawn next to carins! All guides have very clear descriptions on how to get to this area and beyond. Perhaps whoever felt the need to draw the arrows should invest their time more wisely and read the guide books a little better.

phil_nev
26/04/2007
1:15:59 PM
I noticed something similar at the campsite boulders recently...

Some idiot has used chalk to write the V grades of a few problems, including arrows pointing where the problem starts, finishes etc and has even marked 'RF" (Being Right foot goes here) on the rock.

No wonder this great area has massive access issues.

BadBrad of the Isles
26/04/2007
1:47:31 PM
Yeah i saw the scrawl at campsite recently, not pretty at all. Couldnt think of any reason for it, the lines there are fairly evident and definitely without need for beta drawn all over the show.

nmonteith
26/04/2007
2:01:06 PM
On 26/04/2007 swampy wrote:
>Just wondering what somebody was thinking when they decided to draw dot
>to dot arrows on the rocks along the walk in towards Cut Lunch Walls?

WTF? This has only appeared in the last month or so. Pathetic.

tnd
26/04/2007
2:40:45 PM
They must have got the idea from those lines they draw on the floor to teach people dance steps!

Climbing with the Stars, anyone?

Dom
26/04/2007
5:42:09 PM
This community needs a hero. A hardman who will stand up to the gym rats, boulderers and filthily sports climbers who desecrate our crags at every opportunity. A hero for those of us who do little more than sit at our desks dreaming of what we would do if we saw this kind of thing going on in front of us... and we had some friends to back us up if the offending party told us to go away... and we knew kung-fu.

After reading his article in Crux #3 I'm pretty sure that hardman is Mitch Warren. I've asked around and I've managed to cobble together a rough description; just so we can all thank the man after he's kicked some ass around Stapleton:

He looks like a cross between Norris and Bronson




You get the picture
climberman
26/04/2007
8:45:14 PM
Dom that is the best post so far of 2007. Will be hard to top.

Rupert
27/04/2007
12:34:23 AM
Dont forget Barry The Cougar:

neats
27/04/2007
8:19:28 AM
Maybe we need The Hoff!

tnd
27/04/2007
8:58:32 AM
I don't think Mitch has so much chest hair.

Macciza
27/04/2007
9:18:30 AM
On 26/04/2007 tnd wrote:
>They must have got the idea from those lines they draw on the floor to
>teach people dance steps!
>
>Climbing with the Stars, anyone?

Not at all - Everyone does it in Europe, our Fatherland of climbing, it's the latest sport craze.
The Emirates have been doing it for ages and now use interperative signs at premium locations

Macciza
27/04/2007
9:32:36 AM
On 26/04/2007 swampy wrote:
>Just wondering what somebody was thinking when they decided to draw dot
>to dot arrows on the rocks along the walk in towards Cut Lunch Walls?

Just making it safer for the masses - they are called 'Chalk Blots' - some of the original cairns were quite
crumbly and a bit runout for people not solid at the grade. You don't have to use them if you don't want . .

AlanD
27/04/2007
10:48:22 AM
On 27/04/2007 Macciza wrote:
>On 26/04/2007 tnd wrote:
>Not at all - Everyone does it in Europe, our Fatherland of climbing, it's
>the latest sport craze.
>The Emirates have been doing it for ages and now use interperative signs
>at premium locations

> You don't have to use them if you don't want . .

Who cares what they are doing in Europe. It's unacceptable here to leave such markings here in Australia.

gordoste
27/04/2007
10:52:33 AM
don't worry macciza is just building a straw man. i love straw men

tnd
27/04/2007
11:09:44 AM
On 27/04/2007 AlanD wrote:
>On 27/04/2007 Macciza wrote:
>>On 26/04/2007 tnd wrote:
>>Not at all - Everyone does it in Europe, our Fatherland of climbing,
>it's
>>the latest sport craze.
>>The Emirates have been doing it for ages and now use interperative signs
>>at premium locations
>
>> You don't have to use them if you don't want . .
>
>Who cares what they are doing in Europe. It's unacceptable here to leave
>such markings here in Australia.

Um...I think you may have missed the sarcasm intended in Macca's post.

AlanD
27/04/2007
2:30:23 PM
Quite probably. The hassles of text based communication ...

Macciza
27/04/2007
4:15:07 PM
On 27/04/2007 AlanD wrote:
>
>Who cares what they are doing in Europe. It's unacceptable here to leave
>such markings here in Australia.

Yeah - I do have to agree here , that is kinda how I feel about excessive ring-blotting . . .

kuu
27/04/2007
4:56:29 PM
On 27/04/2007 Macciza wrote:
alia.
>
>Yeah - I do have to agree here , that is kinda how I feel about excessive
>ring-blotting . . .

But which is worse -- excessive 'ring blotting' or 'excessive ringbolting'? Or are they the same thing?

climbau
28/04/2007
3:51:22 PM
On 27/04/2007 kuu wrote:
>But which is worse -- excessive 'ring blotting' or 'excessive ringbolting'?
>Or are they the same thing?
Blotting them makes them harder to see doesn't it??? So...that makes it a good thing ...right?????

There are 19 messages in this topic.

 

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.



Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints