Crag & Route Beta

Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
VIC Eastern Cathedral Range (General) (General) [ Cathedral Guide | Images ] 

Author
Death Block on Jerry Pot - Cathedral Ranges

Pat
30-Jan-2020
2:21:53 PM
On the last pitch of Jerry Pot (pitch 3) there are significantly dangerous blocks.

After leaving the belay you head left towards the arete. When almost there there is a relatively smooth section that is guarded by a section of distinctive angular stacked flakes that face south to the Sugarloaf. These are about 3-4 meters from the arete - that is the left hand edge of the buttress and probably about 15 meters from the top.

Pat
30-Jan-2020
2:23:18 PM
There are at least two that are almost out of the stack of flakes. You can see daylight behind the big one which is about 1.2 meters by .6 meters. I could move it by hand. They all sit almost directly in line with the belay for that pitch.

They are easy to bypass by going to the edge of the arete on easy ground. They would cause significant problems if they came loose while leading.

I may trundle if I can be bothered walking up the track to the back to set an abseil.
dalai
30-Jan-2020
3:06:53 PM
Would be great if you can be up there on a quiet day and trundle. If you dealt with the two that are almost out, do you think the rest will be safe to leave?

bigchris
30-Jan-2020
5:23:19 PM
Hey Pat,

I'll come and help you if you like :)

Chris
dalai
30-Jan-2020
6:09:39 PM
Thread drift. Chris, have you climbed Free Standing at Neds peak? Though not pure crack is a cool wide crack through a roof. Actually a few wide cracks at Bisset's too...

bigchris
30-Jan-2020
8:15:45 PM
I tried to find it one day last year but it was cold and I was a bit whiny so I bounced (it ended up just being a hiking day!) but I'd love someone to show me where they all are! Got any pointers?

Pat
31-Jan-2020
1:10:14 PM
Neds is a bit difficult to get to at the moment because the bridge is closed and so is the carpark. Carpark is the biggest problem because Ive found the rangers don't really want cars on the side of the road. If you go up, Free Standing is hard to miss.

Good question Dalai - pretty obvious too in retrospect, but I don' know if it will be an issue. They were all pretty much sandwiched in, so it could lead to a cascade once the big one is 'liberated' into it's natural habitat.

There are 7 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints