Crag & Route Beta

Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
All NSW (General) (General) (General)  

Author
Illawarra escarpment crags
technogeekery
13-Sep-2016
5:39:38 PM
There are some big cliffs on the escarpment west of Albion Park - I've often admired them in the early morning light on the way down to Nowra or Jervis Bay. Haven't found anything online about climbs on them, but they must have been explored. Anyone got any info on them? Anything worthwhile up there? Might be fun to go for an explore...

rodw
13-Sep-2016
7:35:28 PM
A lot of it I think is mining land or hard to access etc..but explore away I say see what ya find..its always surprising what you discover.

Zarb
13-Sep-2016
8:22:57 PM
Some of it has been done. Ask around on the Illawarra climbers facebook page for more info. Apparently a lot of it is choss, but a few good spots in between the mank. It's not very popular simply because access is a bitch, and with places like Nowra, Pt Perp, and Mt Keira not far, nobody really bothers.

I've recently been catching the train up when I need to visit the city, and one cliff which always looks good is just above Coalcliff train station, below the clifftop powerlines. It's an impressive looking orange wall, and rap-in access wouldn't be too hard. I'll try to get a photo next time.

pmonks
14-Sep-2016
4:55:58 AM
Some mates of mine checked out some of that area in 1997 or so. Don't think they climbed anything and I have a vague recollection that they returned with tales of epic scrub-bashing and leeches.
Crones
14-Sep-2016
6:15:04 AM
Is this what you're talking about Zarb?

http://www.thecrag.com/climbing/australia/wollongong/area/634999515

Zarb
14-Sep-2016
7:09:11 AM
That is exactly what I was talking about :D

It's comforting to know that my appraising eye isn't completely off the mark. Now I need to go do them!
technogeekery
14-Sep-2016
1:41:24 PM
Might just go for an explore anyway, always fun to have a mission. I'll post up if I do.
widewetandslippery
14-Sep-2016
3:53:28 PM
I did the second and maybe only other ascent of rod youngs flying pythons. Named after the snake activity on route. Its a rod young route, you abseil a full rope into a bottomless jungle and climb out.

I climbed at nowra later in the day and never went back.
mikllaw
14-Sep-2016
5:51:03 PM
http://www.thecrag.com/climbing/australia/wollongong/area/351930750
technogeekery
15-Sep-2016
1:34:19 PM
Yes, saw that Mikl, but that is above Scarborough, the pictured cliffs are a lot further down towards Albion Park / just before Macquarie Pass. Doesn't look like anything written up on any of the sites about this area.

Reg
17-Sep-2016
8:36:23 PM
Being a local I've spent a day or two trying to find easy access, with no luck. A lot of private land, mines, private-landmines, and catchment area. I tried approaching one of the cliffs from the base but a local land owner was having none of it. There's one spot I often admire and think it may be possible but haven't worked out logistics yet.
technogeekery
19-Sep-2016
10:17:55 AM
Well, if you ever need someone to go bush-bashing with, I'm up for some type-B fun.

rodw
19-Sep-2016
10:42:19 AM
Thats a rainy day/plan b activity...added bonus if it looks good in the rain it might actually be okay...my suggestion is hit up six viewer and do some arm chair research before you head out..and be prepared for a lot of disappointment.

https://maps.six.nsw.gov.au/

There are 13 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints