Damien Gildea
13-Aug-2016
12:32:18 PM
Cool, thanks. Looks OK, a bit thin.

Here is from the same time last year.

braedenh88
21-Aug-2016
12:14:03 PM
Any updates after the warmish week up on blue? Weather looks pretty good for this next week with lots of low temps and stable weather
JohnK
22-Aug-2016
11:59:30 PM
On 21/08/2016 braedenh88 wrote:
>Any updates after the warmish week up on blue? Weather looks pretty good
>for this next week with lots of low temps and stable weather

Having just returned from Blue Lake, in my view, the ice is the worse I have seen it since in my 12 annual trips there over the last 14 years. Although Blue Lake itself is frozen, the snow levels surrounding the lake are also the worse I have seen it, but this is the latest I have been in August.

However, you will find stuff to top rope and to lead, but certainly not as good as previous years or as good as it can be.

The snowy is also not frozen over, and you will have to balance carefully on the various rocky steps to cross it (from Charlotte's) or strip down to make sure you don't get your boots wet.

The snow over the last few days certainly helped, and this week may help further.

John K.

dalai
24-Aug-2016
4:54:21 PM
Does anyone have a newer version of the Mt Buller guide? Email address on the Mt Buller guide page bounced...
dalai
10-Oct-2016
12:30:11 AM
After the knee finally being on the mend, some light dustings of snow earlier in the week and still a reasonable amount of snow on the Mt Buller summit webcam, I headed up last night to camp at the free Carters rd campground and checked it out this morning. As the road is open and free to the village I was able to drive to the top of the village.

Optimistically I thought there would be more on the southern faces...

As I hadn't been around that side of the hill, I decide to drop down and traverse under the faces There were patches of snow in gullies number one and two but the rest of the mountain was bare. Made for some challenging sections traversing through thick uncovered bushes.

Walked up the Western ridge walking track once I got across to it and then up the track to the summit, across the top and then back down into the base of gully one. Was able to link some snow patches, but was mostly front pointing turf. One more lap around and I was able to find some less steep but more continuous sections of snow, including one a narrow rib of snow hemmed in between rock walls. Was blowing a gale across the top, thankfully somewhat sheltered on the southern faces.
Damien Gildea
15-Oct-2016
8:17:57 PM
There's more snow up high in the backcountry than I've ever seen in October. Blue Lake is still frozen with a foot of snow on top, all the gullies are banked out and there are still remnants of water ice, though nothing climbable. These pics are from Friday 14/10. The road to Charlotte Pass only opened the previous afternoon. I went up the right side of the main gully, right of the cornice, then continued up Twynam.

OzMamba
16-Oct-2016
4:25:31 PM
Looks super. How firm was the snow? Looks like stakes would have been ok?
Damien Gildea
16-Oct-2016
5:55:25 PM
In the gullies it was softer than I expected, though it was early afternoon. Stakes would be OK if you wanted pro or anchors.

That obvious line along under the cornice is not a slab avalanche crown. It marks a bergschrund-like crack about six inches wide at the far-right end, and a few feet deep.

Up around on the slopes and heights it was quite firm, but not icy, great for skiing.
timbigot
16-Oct-2016
7:41:33 PM
Looks like more snow than when i was there in August!

TRADgic
18-Oct-2016
9:14:26 AM
Yo Damo, gotta chime in here. The line under the cornice is a 'Crown Wall', as documented elsewhere by the various avalanche advisories. This face slid (as the debris below would clearly indicate) following the storm event that was I think late September. The right hand side or the face also has a clearly defined crown wall also. This 'schrund, as a result of the snowpack creating a fault where one half decides it's off to become glacier (or other subsidence beneath like depth hoar leading slow wet slide). The snowpack above decides it will stay as 'mountain'. I think in this instance the avalanche event has created a weekness that has later propogated a fissure 'to ground' and is slowly subsiding . The nett result is that the cornice above is the equivalent of 20 full cargo containers sitting teetering above a slope with no bridging support from the snowpack below. Effectively a now a cornice that is becoming a serac. Semantics? Do you agree? Just figure it's best not to play the objective danger down. You could be sunning yourself lakeside and get smudged by this puppy once the cohesion fails.
dalai
26-Jun-2017
10:26:08 AM
Mt Buller 25/06/2017

Walked in via the West Ridge yesterday. Good workout!

There was a fresh dusting of snow down to Round hill. Only patchy cover of snow in the gullies with shrubs still poking through and only a thin rime over the rock outcrops.

Met a couple of guys also up to check out the climbing and they had gone across to check out the Waterfall gully. Icicles were starting to form but nowhere near climbable!

Page 2 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 31
There are 31 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints