Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
All NSW (General) (General) (General)  

Author
Wingsuit flypast of Balls Pyramid
mikllaw
20-Dec-2015
7:52:28 PM
http://imgur.com/gallery/eWnA1Tu

[Moderator edited title from balls pyramid, to Wingsuit flypast of Balls Pyramid.]

IdratherbeclimbingM9
20-Dec-2015
8:58:30 PM
Blerrie brilliant.
Thanks for sharing.

The drone(?) footage suggests yet another ascent, that I'm also pleased to say pleases me!
;-)
PeterW
20-Dec-2015
9:07:59 PM
Just - Wow! I don't think I've *ever* seen it filmed from that angle before! Thanks!

Definitely brings back memories! And I chuckled when I realised even in this clip you can see the multitude of birdlife in the skies of Balls Pyramid.

My only regret is that the clip is so short, and it's hard to make out details in the "interesting" (to climbers) bits. (Is there a "real" video somewhere?)

IdratherbeclimbingM9
20-Dec-2015
9:19:17 PM
Mikl. When are we going there?
:)
PeterW
20-Dec-2015
9:23:58 PM
OK, I should have done the video search first! (And that's no drone, M9!) It was Jeb Corliss and Luigi Cani in April this year!

Here's the YouTube link because embedding the video doesn't seem to be working for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqQrWWpcT0I

- I tried the code suggested by YouTube, which gets a suspicious content warning.
- I tried the YouTube code posted by ajfclark (and several variations) which all of which result in the blank box below:
(The YouTube docs suggest the tag is no longer supported.)

martym
20-Dec-2015
10:11:19 PM
On 20/12/2015 PeterW wrote:
>OK, I should have done the video search first! (And that's no drone, M9!)
>It was Jeb Corliss and Luigi Cani in April this year!
>
>Here's the YouTube link because embedding the video doesn't seem to be
>working for me (yet).
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqQWWpcT0I
>

Thanks for posting the extended video! Strange choice of music..

I never quite realised how 2D that pyramid is.
PeterW
20-Dec-2015
10:18:08 PM
On 20/12/2015 martym wrote:
>I never quite realised how 2D that pyramid is.

I've climbed Balls Pyramid and I didn't realise! :-)

It doesn't show clearly in the video, but there's quite a banana bend in the formation which I suspect lulls the eye into thinking it's wider. Also, it *is* wider down lower - but the top is definitely skinny!
Damien Gildea
21-Dec-2015
9:19:39 AM
On 20/12/2015 PeterW wrote:
>On 20/12/2015 martym wrote:
>>
>I've climbed Balls Pyramid and I didn't realise! :-)
>
>It doesn't show clearly in the video, but there's quite a banana bend
>in the formation which I suspect lulls the eye into thinking it's wider.
>Also, it *is* wider down lower - but the top is definitely skinny!

It looks really green and vegetated in this imagery. In other shots I've seen it looks much rockier and barer. Does it change much through the seasons?
patto
21-Dec-2015
10:01:31 AM
On 21/12/2015 Damo666 wrote:
>It looks really green and vegetated in this imagery. In other shots I've
>seen it looks much rockier and barer. Does it change much through the seasons?

I think that is the angle of viewing. Vegetation will grow on horizontal surfaces where earth can accumulate. When looking down you will see this vegetation.

In contrast when looking at Balls Pyramid from a level or lower aspect you will see the vertical surfaces which as mostly unvegetated rock.

ajfclark
21-Dec-2015
11:37:55 AM
There's extra [] in your code.

And the screen imediately asfter posting never displays the videos for some reason, you have to reload the whole thread.
PeterW
21-Dec-2015
1:44:33 PM
On 21/12/2015 ajfclark wrote:
>There's extra [] in your code.

I absolutely tried it without the [] characters! And I *usually* reloaded the thread, but perhaps I didn't on just the wrong occasion! Anyway, thanks!

Interestingly, it's working now, and I would have bet my house that I'd tried it just as it is now!

ajfclark
21-Dec-2015
3:27:23 PM
Aye, HTML, she be a harsh mistress.
PeterW
21-Dec-2015
9:49:16 PM
On 21/12/2015 Damo666 wrote:
>It looks really green and vegetated in this imagery. In other shots I've
>seen it looks much rockier and barer. Does it change much through the seasons?

I can only speak about December, but I have to admit there was a lot of vegetation at the time. It's easy to get misled by the massive foreshortening affect in the video, but there's a *lot* of rock and much of it is actually quite broken and weathered. I think Patto has the right idea when he says looking down will seem more vegetated than looking up.

Something that's not obvious in the video is that just about any vaguely level vegetated area will likely have one or more bird nests on it!
kieranl
21-Dec-2015
10:00:38 PM
On 21/12/2015 PeterW wrote:

>Something that's not obvious in the video is that just about any vaguely
>level vegetated area will likely have one or more bird nests on it!

So no need to take food for the bivvy?

IdratherbeclimbingM9
3-Feb-2016
11:35:11 AM
On 20/12/2015 martym wrote:
>Thanks for posting the extended video! Strange choice of music..
>
+1 re the thanks.
Re the music, I liked it as it was sufficiently surreal / ethereal to compliment the magic of that awesome natural location.

There are 15 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints