Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
VIC Grampians Central (General) (General) [ Grampians Guide | Images ] 

Author
Rosea
dan_b
18-Jun-2015
7:45:16 PM
Hi all,

1. Whats the closest camping to Rosea currently? Borough Huts? Boreang - facilities not important.

2. More keen to just to get outside this weekend than necessarily climb anything, however, if rain stays away, are the routes on the main cliff permanently damp this time of year anyway?

Thanks,
Dan

JamesMc
18-Jun-2015
8:45:44 PM
Camp sites along Stony Ck Road are closest. You can walk from them to Rosea.
dan_b
18-Jun-2015
9:34:20 PM
Thanks
kieranl
18-Jun-2015
9:50:10 PM
After the rain this week I think Rosea will be pretty wet, not to mention cold (Stawell forecast maxes of 13 Saturday and Sunday). Worth the walk for the atmosphere though.
MichaelOR
18-Jun-2015
9:56:23 PM
If being in the clouds counts as 'atmosphere'!
Rosea is just plain cold in winter - even on a sunny day. Even if it's out, once the sun leaves the cliff (early), you'll freeze.

shiltz
19-Jun-2015
9:45:27 AM
I've climbed up there this time of year. While the sun is out you'll love it, when it goes behind a cloud you'll freeze if you're not moving. So make an early start, take a downie and a thick pair of socks for the belays. Late afternoon the temperature will drop very quickly, hence the early start.
dan_b
19-Jun-2015
10:05:50 AM
Thanks all; I think I'll bring a rack and try and get on something easy. If its cold/wet and with limited visibility, I'll just pretend I'm on a real mountain.

shiltz
19-Jun-2015
12:08:03 PM
Stay well away from Bundaleer this time of year, it is really cold.
Centurian is a good winter destination if its open at the moment.
kieranl
19-Jun-2015
12:31:42 PM
Centurion is in the closed area of the Northern Gramps.
f_abe
19-Jun-2015
12:32:40 PM
On 19/06/2015 shiltz wrote:
>Stay well away from Bundaleer this time of year, it is really cold.
>Centurian is a good winter destination if its open at the moment.

Centurion?

A bit like dreaming of steak and blowjobs but settling for maccas and a wank...

jezza
19-Jun-2015
1:36:19 PM
At this time of year it's worth considering camping at Sister's Rocks near Stawell. Excellent facilities, beautiful surroundings, warm fires, nice and quiet all weekend, a quick run to Rosea, and you might get to see a real footy team kick stuff around.
gfdonc
19-Jun-2015
3:44:31 PM
Ah, Sister's Rock. I regret passing up the opportunity to sandbag some visiting Americans (who I was giving a lift to) by pulling in there late one night, setting up camp and announcing we'd arrived at The Pines.

Seriously (for a change) - try Dreamtime Wall?

kieranl
19-Jun-2015
3:44:58 PM
On 19/06/2015 dan_b wrote:
>Thanks all; I think I'll bring a rack and try and get on something easy.
>If its cold/wet and with limited visibility, I'll just pretend I'm on a
>real mountain.
Hope you get something done. I've had some great days there in winter too. Unless you go and look you don't know. Take gloves for the belays too.
Report back!

JamesMc
19-Jun-2015
4:56:41 PM
I gather that the road to Dreamtime Wall is dosed,

JamesMc
22-Jun-2015
10:03:49 PM
Dan, I hope you had as much fun as we did climbing in the sun at Rosea yesterday,

JamesMc

There are 15 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints