HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Crag & Route Beta

Crag & Route Beta

Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
VIC Northwest (General) (General) (General)  

Author
Ben Nevis (North cliff) beta
jdb
8-Apr-2015
9:17:54 AM
Morning All,

I was thinking of heading to Ben Nevis (via Buangor and Warrak) to climb Big Ben on the North cliff and would like some beta please.

1) Is it accessible by 2WD vehicle (Commodore)
2) Are the bolts O.K ?, given the first ascent was in1991 (or have they been replaced?)
3) Would it be a good thing to replace the bolts? (re 2)
4) Would a new rap point at the end of pitch 1 of Great Pretender be desirable? (given the second pitch sounds ordinary (from NW Vic guide)

Cheers, JDB
jdb
13-Apr-2015
8:50:14 AM
Dear JDB,

1) Yes, the dirt roads are excellent from either direction (ie Beaufort and Buangor)
2) The bolts are excellent well spaced stainless steel
3) See 2
4) Don't bother

Note: Big Ben (if you can find it) is one of the best slab/face climb I've ever done. I would recommend combining the second and third pitches. As for finding 'said' route (we erected a cairn on the ramp), the climb starts on top of a ramp, so when you are descending down the scrubby gully keep and eye out.

Take the slab-meister Martin Jackson with you, because there are zero holds on the 2nd an 3rd pitches!!

Hope this beta is useful.

Cheers, JDB

IdratherbeclimbingM9
13-Apr-2015
11:03:48 AM
Hmm.
Careful jdb, as JDB might be a split personality stalker, ... given the identity-crisis quirky user-id swaps/impersonations that Chocky has endured in the past.
;-)
jdb
13-Apr-2015
11:43:46 AM
Heh, heh, heh........

IdratherbeclimbingM9
13-Apr-2015
12:47:53 PM
On 13/04/2015 jdb wrote:
>Heh, heh, heh........

Hmm*.
Where have I heard that before?

*Con_text:
>quirky user-id swaps/impersonations
robin2
15-Apr-2015
8:41:53 PM
Hi John. My recollection of Ben Nevis is that the bolts were very spaced. I believe the routes were bolted on lead, so the bolts were where you least needed them. My only climbing experience there was climbing to the first bot, bailing, then spending the rest of the day walking out. I think the drive in is OK.

There are 6 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints