Crag & Route Beta

Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
All TAS (General) (General) (General)  

Author
Road to Whitewater Wall
Chris T
13-Dec-2014
8:47:51 AM
Does anyone have information on the current state of the road to Whitewater Wall? Do you think that something like a VW Van or basic 2WD vehicle with standard ground clearance could get there, possibly with some effort?

Rocker
13-Dec-2014
12:29:22 PM
Yeah 2wd no problems in dry, i'v driven school groups in there in 12seat minibuses, except the last 30 Meters.
Chris T
13-Dec-2014
1:14:57 PM
On 13/12/2014 Rocker wrote:
>Yeah 2wd no problems in dry, i'v driven school groups in there in 12seat
>minibuses, except the last 30 Meters.

Thanks for the info. I was there maybe 14 years ago but I imagine the road conditions change a bit. Have you been in there recently?

Doug
13-Dec-2014
3:53:20 PM
At the closest weather station (Friendly Beaches) just to the north of WWW rainfall has been recorded on 11 of the 13 days so far this December, with a total of just under 50 mm over that period. (Yes, we've had a sustained period of easterly weather, but it has cleared off now.) However, the road seems to have stayed pretty much unchanged over the past 10 years or so. As long as you take it slowly and easily you should get in without any problems.
dan_b
14-Dec-2014
5:12:59 PM
I walked in, two years ago. I was kicking myself as 1. It was navigable (with caution) in a two wheel drive with average clearance 2. I had a hire car anyway. Everyone knows nothing off-roads like a Hertz.

Doug
15-Dec-2014
8:13:20 AM
Quote from a friend who was there recently ~ "BTW saw your post on WWW road. Was there last week, no way would I take a small car in, it is shite!"
Wendy
15-Dec-2014
9:40:29 AM
I drove my mazda 323 in there last Feb. Mostly completely cruisy, 1 or 2 small sections requiring some navigation. It was quite amusing that my parents had given me this car as they had bought a 4wd. I sent a photo to show them that the little red car was really a 4wd in disguise.
There was also a small hire car (a Getz maybe?) in there one day. I would start driving in and if it gets to bad, park and walk from there. You can always camp at the NP sites on Coles Bay, which are really nice. As long as it's not school holidays in which case they will be chockers.
gfdonc
15-Dec-2014
12:15:40 PM
If you're still concerned, I'd be tempted to take a spade if you have the option, as any of the rutted bits are likely to be sandy and easy to 'modify' to make it easier to pass.
mitch46and2
15-Sep-2015
9:19:57 PM
Anyone updates on road conditions and 2wd access?
Will be there late Nov in a vw caddy van. Is it possible to
Just pick a line through the ruts? Cheers
mitch46and2
7-Oct-2015
8:25:09 PM
anyone been down here recently??
Cam McKenzie
8-Oct-2015
8:08:54 AM
We tried to get in last weekend in an i40, which as it turned out was a rather bad idea! Gave up after a couple of hundred metres. You could definitely get it in and out, but it just depends on how much you value the bottom of your car.

Have got an old liberty and Corolla hatch in there in the past without too many problems, but that was some time ago. The track didn't seem to be in any worse condition though.

There are 11 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints