The map kieranl posted shows it open
kp
16-Feb-2014
9:35:00 AM
Yes watchtower is open..

ajfclark
25-Feb-2014
10:43:57 AM
I noticed in a recent Wimmera Mail Times article that climbers are being cited as one of the reasons the roads haven't been opened again. From http://www.mailtimes.com.au/story/2108268/northern-grampians-tourism-operators-question-road-closures/ :
Parks Victoria ranger in charge David Roberts said the walks [around Mount Zero] were frequently used by rock climbers who had a tendency to explore, and the closures were about making sure people did not access any burnt areas.

“Mount Zero is accessed from the car park and by allowing access to that car park we particularly don’t want people to be able to get to areas of Mount Stapylton and Hollow Mountain that were quite badly burnt,” he said.
I wonder whether this is a long held attitude that was reinforced or one that was more recently developed as a result of people ignoring the closures in the Victoria Range.
kieranl
28-Feb-2014
3:43:06 PM
Looks like pretty much everything south of Mt Victory Rd is now open, except for Matthews Track.
http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/621246/Grampians-National-Park-Update.pdf
Wendy
1-Mar-2014
8:39:17 AM
Would it be reasonable to assume that the Asses Ears are open from that? It certainly looked like they burnt from the aerial shot, but with the road open and no specific listing as closed. It's not really covered under "all climbing areas in the northern gramps" is it?

ajfclark
7-Mar-2014
12:02:47 PM
I drove back up C222 yesterday and even if Asses Ears is open I'd suggest they might need a bit of time to regenerate a bit. I stopped in at Zummsteins and took a picture:
From 2014-03-06

The left hand side of the image is westish and the trees in this picture looks better than anything further south or north along the road did.
kieranl
7-Mar-2014
4:59:23 PM
Latest update from Parks indicates that Matthews Track is open. This would be the best approach for Weirs creek. Park at the turn below the Emus Foot cliffs and head through the bush to meet the old track where it crosses Weirs Creek. Probably about the same time as the old approach.
Matthews Track was very sandy last time I drove along it so take care if you haven't got 4WD capability.

Duang Daunk
7-Mar-2014
5:30:01 PM
On 7/03/2014 kieranl wrote:
>Matthews Track was very sandy last time I drove along it so take care if you haven't got 4WD capability.

Yeah?
Have you never intentionally hung the tail out while driving your Kingswood along a sandy fire trail?

This is a really good value manoeuvre, especially when a motorcyclist is coming the other way, as it is guaranteed to get their attention.
kieranl
14-Mar-2014
12:40:36 PM
Matthews Track is still showing as open in today's Grampians Track Report.
If you're going to Weir's Creek and coming from Halls Gap direction or have a low-clearance vehicle, Matthews Track west from Syphon Rd could be a good option, as long as it's dry.
The western end of Matthews Track at Red Rock Rd still had a closed gate and other barriers last weekend. Down the east end at Syphon Rd the gate was open.
Track is flat and firm for about 4km going west until it turns left and goes up towards Emu's Foot.Park just before the track swings west again.
From the bend, aim for just right of the base of the land-slide (bearing 160). Open scrub but you'll still get black. Should hit the old track just before the creek crossing.
access t cliffcare
17-Mar-2014
12:58:26 PM
Hi All,

My latest A&E report contains some info on Summerday,Stapylton, Taipan as well as a short update on Emu Foot Track (Janangin jawi). See here on the CliffCare website http://cliffcare.org.au/2014/03/17/access-environment-officer-report-march-2014/

Cheers,
Tracey
access t CliffCare
8-May-2014
12:30:57 PM
Latest A&E report. Info on Flat Rock area, Kindergarten etc http://cliffcare.org.au/2014/05/08/access-environment-officer-report-may-2014/

Also Red Rock Road temp closure and Weirs Creek Access http://cliffcare.org.au/2014/05/08/red-rocks-road-closure-5514-approx-2-weeks-weirs-creek-access/

Cheers,
Tracey

phil_nev
22-May-2014
7:19:23 PM
Can anyone tell me if centurion walls area is open for climbing?

ajfclark
22-May-2014
8:12:50 PM
It's inside the area that Parks has marked as closed.
kieranl
13-Jun-2014
10:39:24 AM
Anyone know if Red Rock Rd is actually open yet? Parks advice last week had it as open but Road Closed signs were still in place last Thursday afternoon just before the long weekend.
patto
13-Jun-2014
12:21:35 PM
On 13/06/2014 kieranl wrote:
>Anyone know if Red Rock Rd is actually open yet? Parks advice last week
>had it as open but Road Closed signs were still in place last Thursday
>afternoon just before the long weekend.

Advice from Cliffcare as of today was that it is closed.
kieranl
13-Jun-2014
1:06:16 PM
On 13/06/2014 patto wrote:
>On 13/06/2014 kieranl wrote:
>>Anyone know if Red Rock Rd is actually open yet? Parks advice last week
>>had it as open but Road Closed signs were still in place last Thursday
>>afternoon just before the long weekend.
>
>Advice from Cliffcare as of today was that it is closed.
The info on the Cliffcare website is from early May. Parks update of 7/6 (which, interestingly, I received on 4/6) is saying that it is open. On Thursday 5/6 the road was still physically closed. I was wondering if anyone saw last weekend if the road was actually open or closed.
MichaelOR
13-Jun-2014
1:30:30 PM
Hi Kieran,
On Saturday and Sunday last weekend there were 'Road Closed' signs across Red Rock Rd. They were only across half the road and many vehicles had clearly driven through.

As an aside, Harrop Track was pretty slippery after Saturday's rain. 2WD cars were leaving 'wandering' tyre tracks! Had improved considerably by Sunday with no further rain.
kieranl
13-Jun-2014
1:47:55 PM
Thanks Michael
patto
13-Jun-2014
2:06:43 PM
On 13/06/2014 kieranl wrote:
>The info on the Cliffcare website is from early May. Parks update of 7/6
>(which, interestingly, I received on 4/6) is saying that it is open. On
>Thursday 5/6 the road was still physically closed. I was wondering if anyone
>saw last weekend if the road was actually open or closed.
Who said anything about the Cliffcare website?
kieranl
13-Jun-2014
3:30:03 PM
On 13/06/2014 patto wrote:
>On 13/06/2014 kieranl wrote:
>>The info on the Cliffcare website is from early May. Parks update of
>7/6
>>(which, interestingly, I received on 4/6) is saying that it is open.
>On
>>Thursday 5/6 the road was still physically closed. I was wondering if
>anyone
>>saw last weekend if the road was actually open or closed.
>Who said anything about the Cliffcare website?
Neither did you identify the origin of the cliffcare advice but that's no matter. Did your advice have any more detail? The roadworks were originally flagged to be finished in 2 weeks.

Page 4 of 5. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 82
There are 82 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints