Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Crag & Route Beta

Crag & Route Beta

Page 2 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 29
Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
VIC Arapiles (General) (General) (General) [ Arapiles Guide | Arapiles Images ] 

Author
new small-format Araps guidebook, 444 of the best.
kp
5-Jul-2013
8:40:10 AM
This is a great little book. Good to see the ed stick with the three star system.

I must say though that imho Pilot Error is lucky to get one star..... yet it has three!!
Damien Gildea
5-Jul-2013
8:49:04 AM
On 28/06/2013 onsight wrote:
>On 26/05/2013 ryguy wrote:
>
>I'd like to take this opportunity to explain some of the things we've
>been doing with these guidebooks; ...I hope that explains some of the similarities.
>
>
>

Thanks Simon (and Ryan), it's an interesting subject. It feeds into a broader issue that I discuss with various editors fairly regularly, which is the value of print vs. digital media, particularly for climbing information and even more so for instructive or 'useful' or guide information. Even more so given we look at topos on our phones and have guidebooks as tablet apps.

Does the format matter? Does it make a difference? Ryan's comment indicates the physical nature of the information affects the perception of the subject and even the overall experience. I agree with this, and have noticed, and continue to try and observe, how people react to, or use, informational media differently according to its form. I don't think Ross at Vertical Life would mind me mentioning that this is an issue they deal with in the delivery of VL, hence an evolution from simple pdf to different apps and desktop presences. To me, VL is too good to just be another file we download only to vanish into the depths of our hard drives. Would you store a glossy guidebook with nice photos and good stories in it in the bottom of your wardrobe?

In climbing it can be particularly important because often the information is important to our safety, so we need to see it, understand and digest it properly. A lot can be riding on that information, so it needs authority and at this point in time for most people print has more authority than digital, but surely this will change. I'd like to think we have a future with an intermingled and complementary mix of both, so modes of presentation are worth caring about.
kieranl
5-Jul-2013
8:51:30 AM
On 4/07/2013 Cool Hand Lock wrote:
>On 23/05/2013 kp wrote:
>>Gordons 'mainly bolts' guide to victoria is a classic!
>
>A guide written by someone who has actually climbed the hard routes...
>is this a first?
No. Let's rattle off a few that come to mind : Stone/Speedie Arapiles guide, Carrigan Arapiles Guide, Tempest/Smith Eastern Vic Guide.

edit : Of course it's Eastern , not Central Vic

Cool Hand Lock
5-Jul-2013
10:51:18 PM
On 5/07/2013 kieranl wrote:

>No. Let's rattle off a few that come to mind : Stone/Speedie Arapiles
>guide, Carrigan Arapiles Guide, Tempest/Smith Eastern Vic Guide.

Is this a list of the worst guides writen in the 70's?

ajfclark
6-Jul-2013
8:29:45 AM
I always liked how the Carrigan guide's grade index started at 18. Almost like he's saying "If you don't climb at least this hard, you should have to thumb through the entire book looking for stuff you can climb..."

Duang Daunk
6-Jul-2013
9:01:18 AM
On 6/07/2013 ajfclark wrote:
>I always liked how the Carrigan guide's grade index started at 18. Almost
>like he's saying "If you don't climb at least this hard, you should have
>to thumb through the entire book looking for stuff you can climb..."

If you climbed with Edweirdo he probably tore that index page out for poo paper.
BA
6-Jul-2013
12:10:57 PM
On 5/07/2013 Cool Hand Lock wrote:
>On 5/07/2013 kieranl wrote:
>
>>No. Let's rattle off a few that come to mind : Stone/Speedie Arapiles
>>guide, Carrigan Arapiles Guide, Tempest/Smith Eastern Vic Guide.
>
>Is this a list of the worst guides writen in the 70's?

Well no, actually. The Stone/Speedie guide was published in 1965, the Carrigan guide in 1983 and the Tempest/Smith guide in 1988. Didn't even fluke one out of three.

Although it has brought to mind a quote from Mike Stone about the (Green) guide he co-produced versus the next volume (Black guide) that Baxter produced - "All the best climbs are in the green guide, I know because I did them."
kieranl
6-Jul-2013
2:03:33 PM
And not forgetting the various guides brought out by Bryden Allen and John Ewbank in NSW in the 60s.
Chockstone Moderator
6-Oct-2013
3:56:04 PM
A cross reference to another post (by E Wells) on the subject, contained in a locked duplicate thread.

http://www.chockstone.org/Forum/Forum.asp?Action=DisplayTopic&ForumID=15&MessageID=25394&Replies=0&PagePos=0&Sort=#NewPost

Page 2 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 29
There are 29 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints