Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Crag & Route Beta

Crag & Route Beta

Page 2 of 3. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 57
Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
VIC Arapiles (General) (General) (General) [ Arapiles Guide | Arapiles Images ] 

Author
Tiptoe ridge
anthonycuskelly
2-Oct-2012
12:27:15 PM
Cliff: It's not an ideal climb for the OP's original suggestion. It wanders a bit and there's all sort of trees and ledges to catch your rope if you try to throw it.

Have you looked at TTR lately? You could set belays almost anywhere you wanted.
Wendy
2-Oct-2012
1:11:59 PM
I really hate to risk getting caught arguing with Cliff again, because it's really not my favourite passtime, but I really wouldn't recommend his suggestion. Sure, you can do it. But what happens if someone freaks out? If one of the later climbers actually does fall off? If they get confused trying to unclip from the belay when all three of them are on the same rope and unclip the other? It all works fine as long as everything goes fine. But it all goes to shit beyond normal proportions of going to shit if it doesn't. Why complicate life when there's a really simple solution - just buy two more ropes. Cheap 50s will be more then adequate for anything at the mount, you can pick them up from Phil for about $170 each and you'll get heaps of use out of them you're going to be going out climbing with the kids regularly.
martym
2-Oct-2012
1:22:24 PM
On 1/10/2012 Groveller wrote:
>Going to Arapiles tomorrow with my 3 kids, leaving the wife at home to
>have coffee with friends, work, study and generally spend money. Hopefully
>will return home sane with no injuries. Threatened them all to put them
>on the train home if they fight.Only have one rope and plan to climb Tiptoe
>ridge as main adventure. Could I get away with throwing the rope down every
>time someone gets to the next belay point? Eg. No overhangs?

To answer specifically - Tip Toe Ridge is not suitable for dropping a rope back down the climb because it involves several traverses and climbing over a pinnacle. So regardless of the experience of any of the party - it's simply impractical.
Take em up something on the organ pipes - tie the least experienced in at the 30m mark, lower the rope back down have the "leads 18s" kid clip the second kid in there.

Ages & sizes of your kids would really help people point you in the right direction.

sliamese
2-Oct-2012
1:28:56 PM
I reckon go for it. Tie some alpine butterflies a few metres apart, pit the weakest at the top so they dont pull the others off amd belay them all at the same time on a reverso/ bd guide. Their collective weight would atill be lower than most on here so dont worry too much as to whether the anchor can take it.

Its grade 5, they sound up for that. Its not the eiger north face your trying. Dont listen too much to the many opinions with little experience that are all too abundent. Its this same fear that holds many back from doing much at all!

You could just ask to borrow someones rope too?
anthonycuskelly
2-Oct-2012
1:39:06 PM
Cliff, geez, did you read mine? I said I thought your idea was a good one... which means I would've had to have read your post.

The standard pitches go all over the top of a few extra significant ledges, and no-one wants 15m pitches if they can be avoided. If, however, the OP wants shorter pitches due to available rope lengths, the option's there.

Climboholic
2-Oct-2012
2:06:39 PM
On 2/10/2012 Cliff D wrote:
>On 2/10/2012 Wendy wrote:
>>I really hate to risk getting caught arguing with Cliff again, because
>>it's really not my favourite passtime,
>
>Drivel, drivel, punctuation drivel...................................

Cliff D.

I get.

her.

Point.

Climboholic
2-Oct-2012
2:17:20 PM
Yep! Thanks for brightening my day ;-)

Btw Cliff, I noticed you're looking for climbers in Newcastle. Want to go climbing sometime?

shortman
2-Oct-2012
2:30:59 PM
CliffD - Have u climbed TTR in the last 15 years?
widewetandslippery
2-Oct-2012
2:43:09 PM
I reckon 3 people on 1 50m rope would be the maximum you would want to have. 20m pitches and some change for belays. This has nothing to do with age or competance. If i saw a clusterf--- of geese throwing ropes down a multipitch I'd grab a case and some popcorn and watch the show.

Groveller
5-Oct-2012
7:53:58 PM
Hi everyone, thanks for all your advice. Had a great time at Araps camping and climbing. Lots of lizards, never seen so many.
Didn't do TTR although my 11 year old daughter would probably have been able to do it. Stuck to some easy single pitches for her.
Loved the pillars of Hercules at the top of Dracula. Wish I had taken a picture of my 17 year old son climbing it facing outwards on the second pitch. I couldn't stop laughing as he is such a know it all.
Thanks to all the people who returned lost gear and helped us. I got stuck on Keyboard at OP and had to be helped. Sorry to the guy I woke up singing songs about bacon at 6 am.
Sadly back to the grindstone.

shortman
5-Oct-2012
10:40:04 PM
Tell tell....what happened on Keyboard?

Groveller
6-Oct-2012
6:45:49 AM
Fell and broke both my legs but managed to haul myself up the last 5 meters. By the way, has anyone met the 11 year old kid from Sydney who has memorized the Araps guidebook. Bit like talking to a miniature rainmain. Lastly, when did they increase the fees for camping at the Pines. $15 per night put a big hole in my budget.

shortman
6-Oct-2012
7:01:49 AM
Oh, just legs. How was your footwork on the last 5 meters?

Playin the fool on keyboard.
hero
6-Oct-2012
9:59:28 AM
On 6/10/2012 Groveller wrote:
>Fell and broke both my legs but managed to haul myself up the last 5 meters.
>By the way, has anyone met the 11 year old kid from Sydney who has memorized
>the Araps guidebook. Bit like talking to a miniature rainmain. Lastly,
>when did they increase the fees for camping at the Pines. $15 per night
>put a big hole in my budget.
>

If that's Louise's guide I'm impressed. If it's the Mentz guide, what a waste of brain power.

simey
6-Oct-2012
12:37:17 PM
On 6/10/2012 hero wrote:
>On 6/10/2012 Groveller wrote:
>>By the way, has anyone met the 11 year old kid from Sydney who has memorized
>>the Araps guidebook. Bit like talking to a miniature rainmain.
>
>If that's Louise's guide I'm impressed. If it's the Mentz guide, what
>a waste of brain power.
>

That's correct. It's a much better use of brain cells to be memorising the hundreds of extra worthless routes that Louise had the unfortunate task of recording in her guide.

hero
8-Oct-2012
9:06:29 AM
And you're the authority on the use of brain cells now are you?

Groveller
8-Oct-2012
10:49:09 AM
By the way, love your guidebook Mr Mentz. When I am depressed and can't go climbing, I open up your guide and feel lots better after reading it.
martym
8-Oct-2012
10:54:56 AM
On 6/10/2012 Groveller wrote:
>when did they increase the fees for camping at the Pines. $15 per night
>put a big hole in my budget.

WTF?

Are you another robot spammer or is this for real?

shortman
8-Oct-2012
11:21:57 AM
On 8/10/2012 martym wrote:
>On 6/10/2012 Groveller wrote:
>>when did they increase the fees for camping at the Pines. $15 per night
>>put a big hole in my budget.
>
>WTF?
>
>Are you another robot spammer or is this for real?

Times are a changin.....It's to pay for the new hot showers they put in.
martym
8-Oct-2012
1:42:38 PM
On 8/10/2012 shortman wrote:
>On 8/10/2012 martym wrote:
>>On 6/10/2012 Groveller wrote:
>>>when did they increase the fees for camping at the Pines. $15 per night
>>>put a big hole in my budget.
>>
>>WTF?
>>
>>Are you another robot spammer or is this for real?
>
>Times are a changin.....It's to pay for the new hot showers they put in.

I call shenanigans!

Page 2 of 3. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 57
There are 57 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints