Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Crag & Route Beta

Crag & Route Beta

Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
VIC All (General) (General) (General) [ Victoria Guide | Images ] 

Author
Weather in Arapiles/Grampians in August?
tjh
6-May-2013
10:14:54 PM
Hi,

I have a friend from overseas whose looking to visit in August. She's keen to get in some climbing and I'm wondering how cold/wet it gets in the Arapiles/Grampians in August? Or would we better heading north, maybe somewhere near Brisbane, and climb somewhere warmer! Anyone know/got any advice?

Cheers
Mike Bee
7-May-2013
9:14:21 AM
I can be cold and wet, cold and dry or very pleasantly cool and dry.
A sunny Araps day in winter is my favourite time to climb there!

Just pick your weather and you'll enjoy it.

cruze
7-May-2013
9:28:14 AM
Frog Buttress is your answer. To everything.
Wendy
7-May-2013
9:32:48 AM
A quick chockstone search will reveal this to be a hotly debated topic. I personally don't ever want to spend another winter in Natimuk, but I am a soft, cold blooded wuss. There is the odd nice day which I reckon are well outnumbered by the too cold, drizzly and windy and general miserable days.

If you want to be sure you can do lots of climbing, i'd go to qld, otherwise if you can climb steep sport mostly 23+ and tolerate the cold, you can run to some caves in the gramps that are mostly dry in the rain should the weather be less than hospitable. There a list of crag wet weather ratings on here somewhere, searching "grampians rain climbing" will probably find it.

The good Dr
7-May-2013
11:34:50 AM
Most Nati locals are extremelyy wussy these days. I have regularly heard weather related excuses on a 25 deg day. You know it is bad when keen locals text and ask if you are heading up from Melb as they cant find climbing partners!! Winter in Nati is fine. But if you want guaranteed warmer weather, Frog is a good bet with excellent climbing and decent weather in August.
Wendy
7-May-2013
6:24:05 PM
you wont hear weather excuses from me on a 25 degree day - sounds perfect! my working temp zone is about 20-40. i might suffer down to 17 if its sheltered and sunny. if i have to do laps of 22 in my down jacket to main tin body temp, its way too cold, friction be damned.

There are 6 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints