Links
  Forum
  Search
  About

Sponsored By
      ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop

Black Diamond "STOPPER" Set. (Sizes 4 to 13) - 10 pieces. Comes with a "free" karabiner for racking.   $109.00
16% Off

Chockstone Photography Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Crag & Route Beta

Crag & Route Beta

Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
International (General) (General) (General)  

Author
Spain in January - which crags?
Tastrad
13/03/2013
8:48:41 AM
So many good looking crags in Spain can't decide which ones to go to. In a 4 week trip in January, what are the absolute must crags to visit? Is Siruana too cold that time of year? Should I just focus on El Chorro, Costa Blanca and other cliffs in southern spain.
bobic
13/03/2013
9:53:12 AM
Stay close to the coast as it'll be too cold inland. Alot of inland crags are granite. Smearing granite in winter isn't my idea of fun. Also consider Mallorca. There's nothing overly long but good climbing in awesome places.

Eduardo Slabofvic
13/03/2013
10:15:26 AM
There's plenty of other crags close by El Chorro, if you've got a car. Although, I'm led to believe that El Chorro is packed in winter. I was there in October, and it was still too hot climb in the sun.
Dave J
13/03/2013
10:39:26 AM
climbing in the sun on a good winter day siurana could be good but its a bit of a gamble. We climbed there one january and had a few good days but then bailed down south after a cold snap when there was icicles growing out of the pockets. Rodellar up north was a write off (running wet and you dont get to find that out until after you've waded through an waist deep icy river to get there), everywhere else was fine Rigilos for multi-pitch conglomerate, frost on the tent in the morning but lovely in the sun once it warmed up. Further south the weather was not an issue anywhere Costa Blanca, El Chorro etc. We mostly went to escape the summer here but its a good time to go I think.
maxdacat
13/03/2013
2:51:03 PM
El chorro is likely to have the best weather.

Benjenga
13/03/2013
6:47:40 PM
So I was there in feb and enjoyed really nice sunny weather and full sun climbing at Montserrat, oliana, there is a great sunny sector of montsant which is a must if you love pockets. I didn't rate Siurana that highly but there is plenty of rock to explore so you can find sunny warm sectors.
http://climbinspain.com/area-overview/barcelona/ this site has some info on good winter sectors and I found them to be spot on.

I really enjoyed my time is Spain, great food, friendly people, not to much of a launguge barrier a car hire is cheap.

TheBerg
14/03/2013
2:40:19 AM
Margalef is an absolute must. It recieves less wind than Siurana while being at the same altitude and it has some of the best rock I've ever climbed on (pockets pockets pockets!). There is a freecamping site by the dam or two cheap alternatives in town (refugio or tres pines).

We were there in early/mid January and were climbing without shirts in the sun. Cheap shopping is a 50m to 1hr drive away in Lleida. 50 min drive to a nice sandstone bouldering area called El Cogul now listed in the 2012 Lleida climbs guidebook (perfect for the colder days).

There are 7 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints