Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Crag & Route Beta

Crag & Route Beta

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 27
Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
International (General) (General) (General)  

Author
schengen zone
ademmert
12-Feb-2013
12:38:22 PM
Anyone been able to get around the restriction of 90 days in a 6 month period with an Australian passport in the schengen zone?
All tips welcome

Cheers
martym
12-Feb-2013
12:52:27 PM
don't you just leave and come back?
2 day trip to Morrocco, Croatia, or England...
dalai
12-Feb-2013
12:52:49 PM
Travel to a non Schengen state and then back in is the obvious one.

Or

Apply for an EU passport if there are family connections? Could take a while though; mine took a year!
One Day Hero
12-Feb-2013
1:10:29 PM
On 12/02/2013 martym wrote:
>don't you just leave and come back?
>2 day trip to Morrocco, Croatia, or England...

Nope, on a standard tourist visa you can now only be inside the schengen zone for 3 months in any 6 month period. I.e. 3 in, then 3 out before you're allowed back in again.

Adam, I know some climbers who obtained 6 month longstay visas. The application process was easy but drawn out, and I think the visa cost about $1000.........and was possibly only valid for one country rather than the whole schengen zone.
ademmert
12-Feb-2013
1:20:29 PM

>
>Nope, on a standard tourist visa you can now only be inside the schengen
>zone for 3 months in any 6 month period. I.e. 3 in, then 3 out before you're
>allowed back in again.

Yep this is the problem!

>Adam, I know some climbers who obtained 6 month longstay visas. The application
>process was easy but drawn out, and I think the visa cost about $1000.........and
>was possibly only valid for one country rather than the whole schengen
>zone.

Do you know how they went about this??

Cheers
One Day Hero
12-Feb-2013
1:28:57 PM
Nope, I'll ask them...........also, they're under 30 so it might have been a working holiday thingy
dalai
12-Feb-2013
2:19:31 PM
On 12/02/2013 One Day Hero wrote:
>allowed back in again.

Didn't realize they had changed the rules... That is a pain!

Good information on http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/TravelBulletins/Europe_Schengen

kp
12-Feb-2013
2:34:04 PM
Mate,
I know some that have been there 8 months and had no issues... others have been caught and fined. Stay away from Greece, Switzerland & Germany as they are strict...Spain France and others are more relaxed.
martym
12-Feb-2013
4:01:21 PM
On 12/02/2013 One Day Hero wrote:
>allowed back in again.

What's the logic? We don't want foreigners injecting money into the European economy for longer than 3 months..
Any wonder there's a crisis?

phillipivan
12-Feb-2013
9:09:21 PM
Yes I have done it. Lose, or declare your passport lost or stolen and have an Australian Embassy issue you a new one, it may cost you $100 or so (much less than a fine for overstaying). Your new passport won't have an entry date. When they ask as your leaving, lie.
Dj Biggs
13-Feb-2013
12:33:31 AM
I am looking at starting a business up in germany for the sake of getting a business visa... if I don't have enough work, then I am afraid I shall be obliged to climb 1-2 years. Still trying to figure out the full cost,will let you know if it can sponsor.
Legally I don't think there is any recourse to extension of stay in the schengen zone of the standard 90 day period.
Illegally take you pick, but a method I know for certain, involves getting out over the border sans stamp and a letter from friends on the other side to say you were outside for 3 months, you then get the proper stamps on your return.
Heaven forbid they have upgraded to an electronic system if you just declare you passport lost. Various rumours abound about which border guards are slackest.
Dj Biggs
13-Feb-2013
12:59:16 AM
The other option.... is if you work in Oil and Gas. Is ... set up company in British Virgin Islands (tax free) , a bank account in hong kong without being a resident for tax, then Set up another company in the country of choice that pays you a stipend and taxes on that stipend in the country you need the visa for(providing the benefit for your visa). The BVI company owning the other wholly. When you work you are then employed by your company in your tax residence of choice, using a work visa that you sponsored yourself in on. The invoicing for your wages from your British Virgin Company then goes to your employer to be paid into HK account, with your remaining wage taken from that. So your interests may end up paying your self 1/2 of your real wage. The remainder being equity within the company that you are sole director and owner of. All perfectly legal ( depending on the individual country of choice). THere may be all kinds of interesting things you have to do before you employ yourself... like prove no one from the target country could be employed instead. So if you don't pick up the phone for the job you advertised and no one is as experienced as you....to be you. The other thing is to prove you aren't a residence for tax purposes in Australia, then you have to prove you are some where else for 183 days.... THough better talk to a professional about this IMO.

trog
13-Feb-2013
5:01:59 AM
mmm be careful with Spain too...

Met some climbers who pushed out their stay to the max, missed their ferry or it was already full or something (to morroco) and camped out in the carpark to get one the next day.

Some Spanish official checked them out, almost fined them for overstaying the one day but checked the video in the carpark and saw what time they bedded down in the carpark the previous day and let them off, only because they were there the previous day. Someone else that was there who was over by a bit longer definitely got fined.

Think it might be a bit of a lottery. And I think the fine is a daily rate?? It can rack up pretty quick.

Turkey is another good spot for whiling away some non-schengen time...
Will_P
13-Feb-2013
11:24:46 AM
On 13/02/2013 Dj Biggs wrote:
>The other option.... is if you work in Oil and Gas. Is ... set up company
>in British Virgin Islands (tax free) , a bank account in hong kong without
>being a resident for tax, then Set up another company in the country of
>choice that pays you a stipend and taxes on that stipend in the country
>you need the visa for(providing the benefit for your visa). The BVI company
>owning the other wholly. When you work you are then employed by your company
>in your tax residence of choice, using a work visa that you sponsored yourself
>in on. The invoicing for your wages from your British Virgin Company
>then goes to your employer to be paid into HK account, with your remaining
>wage taken from that. So your interests may end up paying your self 1/2
>of your real wage. The remainder being equity within the company that you
>are sole director and owner of. All perfectly legal ( depending on the
>individual country of choice). THere may be all kinds of interesting
>things you have to do before you employ yourself... like prove no one from
>the target country could be employed instead. So if you don't pick up the
>phone for the job you advertised and no one is as experienced as you....to
>be you. The other thing is to prove you aren't a residence for tax purposes
>in Australia, then you have to prove you are some where else for 183 days....

Ah, a simple solution!
dalai
13-Feb-2013
12:26:44 PM
On 13/02/2013 Will_P wrote:
>
>Ah, a simple solution!

Easier to marry someone for residency!
Will_P
14-Feb-2013
11:15:58 AM
On 13/02/2013 dalai wrote:
>On 13/02/2013 Will_P wrote:
>>
>>Ah, a simple solution!
>
>Easier to marry someone for residency!

I'd prefer that. And I kinda have a thing for German women. Stern, but with a quirky sense of humour.
dalai
14-Feb-2013
11:50:17 AM
On 14/02/2013 Will_P wrote:
>I'd prefer that. And I kinda have a thing for German women. Stern, but
>with a quirky sense of humour.

You may want to research different countries. It took six years to get my dual residency – Five years marriage and another year for the country to process the application…
ademmert
14-Feb-2013
3:17:42 PM
Man it all sound like a bit of a pain in the preverbal.

Has anyone gone through the French/England border recently by train? any hassles.
What about France/Spain?

Cheers
dalai
14-Feb-2013
3:43:54 PM
Not train - rode over the Italian Swiss border and back last September and a few times over the French Italian border in 2011 with no issues since all the road border checks are no more....
tor.lattimore
14-Feb-2013
4:05:36 PM
You have to go through airport-like security on the France/England train. Passport checks, baggage checks etc etc. It's also pretty expensive. (70 euro I think)

I didn't do France/Spain, but I don't remember any check on the Germany/France border. They *might* have looked at my passport, but I don't think even that.

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 27
There are 27 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints