Crag & Route Beta

Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
VIC All (General) (General) (General) [ Victoria Guide | Images ] 

Author
Newport lakes
vinscor
9-Feb-2013
5:55:38 AM
Hi I just found an old thread from 2008 about bouldering at Newport lakes. At the time there was a guidebook on the way, 60% completed. What happened to that? Is there any information available anywhere? I have been there a few times and made up my own lines, but since it has been extensively explored before, I'd appreciate any info. Cheers.

shortman
9-Feb-2013
10:05:40 AM
Not much recorded info available to the public. The old skool guys are pretty secretive. Good little spot for a few hrs, can't see how a guide would help much.
BA
9-Feb-2013
1:35:24 PM
It's also close to the walking track and chalk would be highly visible to all and sundry.
vinscor
9-Feb-2013
2:11:34 PM
Secretive he? Is that what it is? Is that why there is no much info on camel hump or mount Alexander bouldering either? When I first arrive to Melbourne I thought there was just not a single boulder climbable between here and the Grampians.

Why would you be secretive about something like Newport lakes? It is not like there are some amazing projects to be stolen or anything! Is there any other secret little spots like this one around the city? Or is it part of some kind of initiation to stumble on them by mistake? I just don't have the time for road trips to the Gramps anymore.

Cheers

nmonteith
9-Feb-2013
5:02:11 PM
Dalai? We've been hearing about his bouldering guide for 10 years now!

Newport is a fun spot - I used to live nearby and spent quite a it of time there. There is no issue with chalk or climbign there that I could see. It's an old quarry, in a public park.
dalai
9-Feb-2013
6:16:54 PM
Guidebook wasn't 60% complete, only the Newport section was 60% complete. Other chapters are in various states of completion.

This and other spots aren't openly discussed as there aren't that many worthwhile local spots to get in a couple of hours. So the loss of even just one such as Newport due to overuse or abuse would be missed.

The main issue with spots like Cobaw or Mt Alexander is the developers didn't care to write anything down and most have moved interstate or even overseas.

Plan was only to publish when I have completed all chapters, though have still been unsure if if some more local areas such as Newport and a few other favourites would be omitted...

dalai
9-Feb-2013
6:49:04 PM
On 9/02/2013 nmonteith wrote:
> There is no issue with chalk or climbign there that I could
>see. It's an old quarry, in a public park.

The management of the park is contracted out every two years and is therefore not a regular coucil park. If the current managers saw and disproved of climbing they could easily ban it.

I've always kept a low profile, kept chalk use minimal and brushed it off after bouldering there... Get too many people bouldering there will only be a bad thing, as the parks primary aim is on flora and fauna protection in the section of the park with the bouldering.

There are 7 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints