Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Crag & Route Beta

Crag & Route Beta

Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
All QLD (General) (General) (General)  

Author
Worth taking a rack to Brissy this weekend?
bones
4-Feb-2013
10:47:50 AM
Hi all,

I'll be up in Brisbane this weekend and I'm trying to decide whether to take a rack with me. Forecast is not ideal:
Saturday A shower or two. Min 20Max 29
Sunday Mostly fine, possible shower. Min 21Max 30

Any crags within daytripping distance of Brisbane worth a look in summer?
A fished out an old crux magazine which suggested Flinders Cave, Tibro Caves or Coolum, but they didn't sound that appealing. Are they? Any other spots?

Thanks
rocknrob
4-Feb-2013
11:51:03 AM

Hi its been dry a few days now..Kangaroo Point right in the city is closest but Brooyar two hours north offers the most fun..Point Pure, Eagles Nest and Black Stump only drawback is getting the most of the afternoon sun..of course Frog lurks nearby..
Rob

Snappy
4-Feb-2013
11:55:29 AM
Flinders Cave is closed.

Tibro, Coolum and Slider are nice in summer. Frog only if you get up really early.

Ninderry is a new sport climbing spot, rock there is variable.
Cams
4-Feb-2013
1:19:41 PM
Was out at Frog this weekend and it was beautiful. You have to be out of there by about 11 to avoid the sun though. If you're not a morning person the other crags mentioned like Slider, the Eastern side of Tibro and Coolum are better. The lower cliffs at Ngun Ngun gets a fair bit of shade too.

nmonteith
4-Feb-2013
1:30:31 PM
I second Snappy.

Slider would be your best best - it is on Mt Tibrogargan in the Glasshouse Mtns. Bolted sport climbign walls between grade 18ish and 27ish. Heaps of great low 20s. Shade all day. Summit Caves are on the same mountain and are pretty crazy location - good rock.

Coolumn is awesome but a bit sucky in high humidty. Also grades start at 23 and the style of climbing takes a bit of getting used to. Wierd slopers and knee bars.

Frog is amazing world class crack climbing but gets sun after 11am.

Brooyar is a pile of chunk if you are used to Arapiles and Grampians quality sandstone.

Tibrgargan is where i would go if you want a unique day out. Leave the trad at home.

Get Lee Cujes/Simon Carter's new SE Queensland guide!
bones
4-Feb-2013
4:53:50 PM
thanks all - I'll leave the trad rack at home and use the money I would have spent on excess baggage on a shiny new SE QLD guide.

There are 6 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints