Crag & Route Beta

Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
All QLD (General) (General) (General)  

Author
Gladstone rocks?
J.C.
15-Dec-2012
2:13:39 PM
Up in Gladstone for a while with work.. anyone know of rocks I can climb, jump off, fly paragliders/speedwings off, scuba dive down to, smoke or rail? Or anything else besides sit on the verandah in a caustic haze slamming beers? I need SOMETHING to do here on days off or I'm gonna end up tits deep in a habit and climbing a clocktower with an uzi!

Miguel75
15-Dec-2012
2:40:19 PM
On 15/12/2012 J.C. wrote:
>...SNIP...I need SOMETHING to do here on days off or I'm gonna end up tits
>deep in a habit and climbing a clocktower with an uzi!

There's always self-abuse:)

rodw
15-Dec-2012
4:00:41 PM
Uzi's are no good for clock towers...they are a close quarters weapon

nmonteith
15-Dec-2012
6:07:27 PM
That whole area of Queensland is a hole. No rocks. 4 hours south to Sunshine coast? 4 hours inland to carnavan national park which is lovely hiking but mostly choss.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
15-Dec-2012
6:46:34 PM
I disagree.
Try Mt Larcom,
Mount Larcom is a small rural town on the North Coast railway, 35 km west of Gladstone. It is named after a mountain (631 m) 12 km to its east, which was recorded and named by Matthew Flinders in 1802 after Naval Captain Thomas Larcom.
There is a small photo of the Mt Larcom summit here...
http://www.about-australia.com/attractions/mount-larcom/
... that may be base-able?

Another pic here.

... or there is another minor location (I can't remember the name of), located between Gladstone and Hervey Bay, for limestone routes to about 80m* though details of same could be hard to find! One side of the main cliff (facing the Bruce Hwy?), had sufficient overhang that it may also be base-able? ... although 80m is probably unacceptably low?? (*caveat: old memory operating here!)

nmonteith
15-Dec-2012
10:59:48 PM
80m limestone - hahahaha. I presume it's utter choss?

wallwombat
16-Dec-2012
1:20:08 AM
I was born in Gladstone. That's why I moved to Wingello.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
16-Dec-2012
8:53:11 PM
On 15/12/2012 nmonteith wrote:
>80m limestone - hahahaha. I presume it's utter choss?

Last time I saw it was in the early/mid '80's and the bit of a play I had on it gave me the impression that it was remarkably compact. In fact so much so, that there didn't appear to be many lines on it that I was capable of climbing. Sadly nothing much has changed for me since those days!

I have no idea if it is still accessable, or has been mined from a Mtn to a hole since...
widewetandslippery
17-Dec-2012
5:13:20 PM
Never been to Gladstone. Just had a google. The caliope river has a rare flesh eating germ and box jelly fish. Buy a packraft.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
17-Dec-2012
8:01:19 PM
On 17/12/2012 widewetandslippery wrote:
>Never been to Gladstone. Just had a google. The caliope river has a rare
>flesh eating germ and box jelly fish. Buy a packraft.

Don't you worry about that (shades of Bjelkie Peterson!), as the outfall from the Mt Larcom mine has dealt with those(!), ... and a packraft would be a good thing to be in due to those conditions...

Post edit: ... and by the way ww&s, your PM box is full.
:(
widewetandslippery
17-Dec-2012
10:12:02 PM
Space avaiable now so you can tell me to get hehehehe

There are 11 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints