Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Crag & Route Beta

Crag & Route Beta

Page 2 of 3. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 41
Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
International (General) (General) (General)  

Author
1st time climbing in Australia - help needed!
White Trash
28-Nov-2012
1:25:27 PM
On 28/11/2012 davidn wrote:
>ahhhhhhhh....
>
>so white trash is WWS' alternate. That makes sense.

only to u in yer dreams.

i had a dream. davidn is stugang' alternate of odh' alternate of dang dunk when he is not dreamin. that prolly makes sense 2u2.
widewetandslippery
28-Nov-2012
2:13:49 PM
I am a c***

[Post moderated by Chockstone Moderator]

Miguel75
28-Nov-2012
9:14:08 PM
On 28/11/2012 widewetandslippery wrote:
>I am a c$@*
[* Post moderated by Chockstone Moderator]

That's a horrible word!

I can't believe it's taken me this long to catch on...

EDIT; catch on that WWS is a she, not that the 'c' word is horrid...
Dieter
3-Dec-2012
8:04:33 AM
First of all I want to say thank you to the forum members who posted a reply to my questions. They were really helpful (except the "political" contributions of WWS and WT which I am not going to comment).
Hi Cliff - special thanks for your offer to lend out your guide books, but I don't think this will be necessary. I have ordered the "Blue Mountains Guide" and "Sublime Climbs" for Gramps/Araps from a British bookstore because postage is cheaper. This way I can study the areas and the routes before our trip - and look forward to it.

As many of you suggested a longer stay in the Gramp/Arap area we have changed our travelling schedule a little bit: at the end of out trip we will spend 1 week in Alice Springs and 1 week in cairns, This means we will have 6 weeks for Gramp/Araps, Ocean Rd, Sydney, Blue Mtns ans Pt. Perp.

Hi lacto - thank you for the info about the toll roads. We will be careful. We have booked a Toyota Hitop campervan from a company called Britz for the 1st 6 weeks.

Hi H9 - I know that March/April is autumn in OZ - when I wrote "spring" I was referring to Europe. Btw, we had a real good start into the skiing season here with lots of snow in November. (I was just going to add a few fotos, but then I read in forum directions that this is not really wanted).

Bye for now. Looking forward to hear from you again.
One Day Hero
3-Dec-2012
10:51:32 AM
Hi Dieter, here's some more tips.

Ropes are always tricky on overseas holidays. You can definitely get away with a single 60m rope, there will be a few routes which will be more difficult but you will be fine for most things. Most of the pitches at Arapiles are quite short (<35m), so if you happened to own a thin 70m single rope you could fold it in half when doubles are needed.

Also, we don't have many proper mountains in Australia. If you don't have double ropes for the abseil, you can almost always walk down somehow.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but Point Perp. is only open on weekends and school holidays. I would really recommend camping there (Honeymoon Bay Campground) as it is one of the most beautiful camping areas you will see. Nowra isn't world class, but there are some really good routes. I think it's worth a look, you'll know very quickly whether you like it or not. Be a little bit careful with car thieves at Nowra, it's the only Australian climbing area where I've had my car broken into.

I don't think anyone else has mentioned the beer, so I'll tell you. Our beer is weak, expensive, and doesn't taste good at all..........also our bread is not going to be up to your usual standards, sorry about this. Kangaroo meat can be really good to eat, but it must be cooked properly. If you try some which seems like rubber it has been overcooked. Emu meat is really fantastic, but there are ethical issues since Emus are pretty cool animals. I imagine you'll think Kangaroos are pretty cool animals too, but we're bored with them already. Anyway, that's another topic, but Emu meat is really, really tasty.

Sounds like you have a good plan, should be a great trip

martym
3-Dec-2012
12:33:26 PM
On 3/12/2012 One Day Hero wrote:
>Hi Dieter, here's some more tips.
>>
>Sounds like you have a good plan, should be a great trip

That was the nicest post you've ever written ODH.
dalai
3-Dec-2012
1:15:51 PM
On 3/12/2012 One Day Hero wrote:
>Hi Dieter, here's some more tips.
>
>Ropes are always tricky on overseas holidays. You can definitely get away
>with a single 60m rope, there will be a few routes which will be more difficult
>but you will be fine for most things. Most of the pitches at Arapiles are
>quite short (<35m), so if you happened to own a thin 70m single rope you
>could fold it in half when doubles are needed.
>
>Also, we don't have many proper mountains in Australia. If you don't have
>double ropes for the abseil, you can almost always walk down somehow.
>
>Not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but Point Perp. is only open on weekends
>and school holidays. I would really recommend camping there (Honeymoon
>Bay Campground) as it is one of the most beautiful camping areas you will
>see. Nowra isn't world class, but there are some really good routes. I
>think it's worth a look, you'll know very quickly whether you like it or
>not. Be a little bit careful with car thieves at Nowra, it's the only Australian
>climbing area where I've had my car broken into.
>
>I don't think anyone else has mentioned the beer, so I'll tell you. Our
>beer is weak, expensive, and doesn't taste good at all..........also our
>bread is not going to be up to your usual standards, sorry about this.
>Kangaroo meat can be really good to eat, but it must be cooked properly.
>If you try some which seems like rubber it has been overcooked. Emu meat
>is really fantastic, but there are ethical issues since Emus are pretty
>cool animals. I imagine you'll think Kangaroos are pretty cool animals
>too, but we're bored with them already. Anyway, that's another topic, but
>Emu meat is really, really tasty.
>
>Sounds like you have a good plan, should be a great trip
>
>
Agreed martym. I'm quoting it for prosperity... ;-)
climberman
3-Dec-2012
8:24:15 PM
Dieter it's worth working out when Easter and the Anzac day holidays are in relation to your trip. Lots of east coast campgrounds are booked out at these times so it's worth trying to book ahead a bit if you can. Do try to get to point perpendicular. Climbing aside it is a wonderful spot, with great camping at Honeymoon Bay. If you have a loose weekend near Wollongong let me know and we can do some climbing at the local crag if it suits.

Have a great trip.
Dieter
4-Dec-2012
8:45:17 AM
Hi ODH - thanks for the practical tips about food and drink. Seems to be similar to the UK, but I am sure your wine and the BBQ steaks are better.
Pt. Perp. certainly is an area where we would like to climb. I have checked the 2013 calender with the NSW public and school holidays and there is a period which would fit in very well with our trip schedule: March 29 to April 1. We will try to be there early on Thursday in order to get a place at Honeymoon campsite.

Hi climberman - that's a great offer! We should be around there before or after the Pt. Perp. period. Let us stay in contact.

Best regards
martym
4-Dec-2012
9:28:28 AM
On 4/12/2012 Dieter wrote:
there is
>a period which would fit in very well with our trip schedule: March 29
>to April 1. We will try to be there early on Thursday in order to get a
>place at Honeymoon campsite.

you mean Easter, the most popular long weekend in Australia?
One Day Hero
4-Dec-2012
8:15:24 PM
I'm not sure what happens at Honeymoon Bay over easter, never been there at that time. I don't think the rest of the south coast is crazy busy, it's too late in the year for the mass migration of Canberra-ites.

Dieter, getting there early in the day won't help since pre-booking is the common practice. Over the Christmas holidays it is impossible to camp there as the whole place has been booked out in advance. I wouldn't worry about it. There are lots of free places to camp nearby if Honeymoon Bay is full, and it isn't quite as amazing when it's completely packed anyway.
Doro
4-Dec-2012
8:43:14 PM
Bring ALL your gear. You don't want to buy anything here because it costs at least twice as much as back home. You may be able to hire a few things if needed. Expect a massive food bill. I just went back to Germany to visit family, it's still way cheaper than Australia.

rodw
5-Dec-2012
7:28:26 AM
On 4/12/2012 One Day Hero wrote:
>I'm not sure what happens at Honeymoon Bay over easter, never been there
>at that time. I don't think the rest of the south coast is crazy busy,
>it's too late in the year for the mass migration of Canberra-ites.

It still gets swamped by people from Sydney..Easter is just busy no matter were ya go.
Dieter
6-Dec-2012
3:18:11 AM
OK - Easter may not be the ideal time for Honeymoon Campsite though the website says that registration at Easter is still unregulated. But if it is ok to use free places to camp nearby it should not be too bad. Or does that mean that the climbing routes at Point Perp. are also absolutely crowded? If so, are there any quieter climbing areas?
I suppose the Blue Mountains will be crowded, too?

Big G
6-Dec-2012
6:47:50 AM
Point perp is never crowded. The most I've ever seen there is about 10 (and I knew nearly all of them) and there are a lot of routes to go round.
bones
6-Dec-2012
10:48:09 AM
On 6/12/2012 Big G wrote:
>Point perp is never crowded. The most I've ever seen there is about 10
>(and I knew nearly all of them) and there are a lot of routes to go round.

True, the routes are never crowded. There's free bush camping for Point Perp in Jervis Bay at Red Point. Turn right down a track off the road to Point Perp about 5km before the Navy gate. It's not as nice as Honeymoon Bay but it works, it's free and you dont need to book. (The company wont be charming: lots of bogans with quadbikes, generators and utes with oversized wheels and excessive antennae)

uwhp510
6-Dec-2012
12:18:02 PM
There's a cool fishermans hut somewhere halfway down the cliffs too apparently. Also I've seen people camped out on the rock platforms at the outer tubes (about 1km walk from the lighthouse car park).

benjenga
6-Dec-2012
1:38:49 PM
We have stayed at fisho's cave (half way between thunderbirds and VB slab) couple of times, it's pretty magic waking up with whales breaching below the cave.
The only problem is your not allowed to camp anywhere on the range except honeymoon bay. We have been threatened with $500 fines.
So be warned.

freesolo
7-Dec-2012
2:40:24 AM
don't remember the name, but there was a small town near the entrance to the navy base with a small park, toilet and cold shower near the beach. i stayed there a week and never had any problems. don't know if that's still allowed, this was a few years back. there were even wombats bashing about in the evenings
martym
7-Dec-2012
12:40:48 PM
On 7/12/2012 freesolo wrote:
>don't remember the name, but there was a small town near the entrance to
>the navy base with a small park, toilet and cold shower near the beach.
>i stayed there a week and never had any problems. don't know if that's
>still allowed, this was a few years back. there were even wombats bashing
>about in the evenings
You mean Currarong? where did you camp? There's tons of weekenders etc. there but don't know of a free campsite?
That's our usual beer & snacks stop before entering the peninsula

Page 2 of 3. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 41
There are 41 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints