Crag & Route Beta

Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
VIC All (General) (General) (General) [ Victoria Guide | Images ] 

Author
Hammock bolting - closet engineers only please

ChuckNorris
23-Nov-2012
8:42:01 PM
What is the verdict on having one end of a home hammock bolted to a brick wall on the side of the house?
Big fear...am I gonna pull the bolted brick out....should i disperse the load (but that'll look ugly). 
Any suggestions from you armchair/hammock experts?

IdratherbeclimbingM9
23-Nov-2012
9:02:54 PM
On 23/11/2012 stugang wrote:
>What is the verdict on having one end of a home hammock bolted to a brick
>wall on the side of the house?
>Big fear...am I gonna pull the bolted brick out....should i disperse the
>load (but that'll look ugly). 
>Any suggestions from you armchair/hammock experts?
>

Dear stugang,

On crag & Route Beta? ... Maybe safer cliffs would be more appropriate! ... ☻
I suggest after the first belay off the verandah post, trend left past the potted shrub, and go for the dyno just after the cactus*...
(*= added incentive to stick the dyno otherwise you will be cactus'd).

Is the prefered brick a sandstock, a clinker, or something else? ... as this will make a huge difference as to how you handle the situation, ie backfill with glue or rely on a dynabolt or similar.
Also where is the brick concerned, ie if it is in the last three or four courses of the wall then there is likely no bonding wire laid in the binding cement, which would normally add strength to it.
If the brick is above a lintle then the same applies as above, ie bugger all strength involved.

High regards,
Idra~>M9
patto
23-Nov-2012
11:37:29 PM
I've seen it done before without any problems. I'd be less worried about the single brick and more worried about the wall! This is what happens when the forces are too high on masonry. (Also, several failures and even deaths have occurred from having basketball rings attached to brickwork.)

Though if the bolted brick is near a perpendicular supporting wall and not near the top of the wall then your should be fine.

ChuckNorris
24-Nov-2012
10:59:56 PM
Ok. i'm gonna give it a crack (hope you insured patto cos if my house fall down i will be out to blame someone for my own stupidity - and that someone is you).

Idruddabewankin99: the bricks are clinker and hard as f---,

Anyone wanna loan me a decent drill for 20 mins? I will give you a few stainless truebolts and a minimum of 3 metolious hangers (I'm not giving numbers cos they are in the shed and whatevers there you are welcome to). I've got my own sds drill bits (which are part of the booty if you wanna loan me ya drill).

the mrs is away next weekend - so it will be the perfect time to get powertools out on the house.

shortman
25-Nov-2012
7:21:21 AM
Yeah, I'll help Stu. Can loan ya a drill, but dunno about goin into the side of the house.

Macciza
25-Nov-2012
10:53:18 AM
Bloody typical . .
As soon as a hammock gets mentioned it's straight to the drill.. .
Whatever happened to traditional ham mocking , what's wrong with wooden dowels, or chockstone in the gap between the bricks . . . . Bloody spurt hammockers . . .

skink
25-Nov-2012
11:57:11 AM
On 23/11/2012 stugang wrote:
>Big fear...am I gonna pull the bolted brick out....should i disperse the
>load (but that'll look ugly). 

I don't think you will pull the brick out. I do think an expansion bolt will split the brick and then you are screwed.

Glue in would be what I would do.
One Day Hero
25-Nov-2012
12:39:15 PM
Has Stu been hitting the christmas pudding early this year? The consensus seems to be that his fat arse is sufficient to pull a house over. So much for that climbing comeback, eh?

ChuckNorris
25-Nov-2012
2:07:56 PM
anyone want some kids bikes (3 to 6 year old) nothing flash but still work. Also got a very old mountain bike that is getting skipped tonight - I was using it up till about 4 months ago, until dealing with its crapness became too much for me.

Post here soon otherwise I'll dump them tonight.

Miguel75
25-Nov-2012
5:04:46 PM
On 25/11/2012 stugang wrote:
>... SNIP... Post here soon otherwise I'll dump them tonight.

You going to ghostie them into the yarra?

IdratherbeclimbingM9
26-Nov-2012
9:44:34 AM
On 24/11/2012 Stugang wrote:
>the bricks are clinker and hard as f---,
>
Dear stugang,
That is good to know beforehand; along with whether they are hollow* or not, depending on the drill used and how hard the driller person, may be.
(*Clinkers are hollow and that affects what type of bolt you may care to use).

It is a good thing you are not planning on drilling a chook house (I know nothing about them), or are you? I am sure ODH could help you out with that, as I read in the past that he gave someone on Chocky plenty of advice when it comes to chook houses, so I suggest you contact him.
High regards,
Idra~>M9

There are 11 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints