Crag & Route Beta

Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
VIC All (General) (General) (General) [ Victoria Guide | Images ] 

Author
Bouldering near Lilydale Yarra Valley
Wolfa
25-Aug-2012
2:43:59 PM
Hi guys, after too long of a break from climbing i want to get back into it and i was wondering if anyone knew some good bouldering locations near or around lilydale or in the yarra valley where i could go and get some practice and exercise in. Thanks in advance

Justin
dalai
25-Aug-2012
9:04:10 PM
Good and local are mutually exclusive out that way. Closest good bouldering is in the Cathedrals.

Best bouldering there is up from the Sugarloaf carpark - left to the Sugarloaf boulder plus either side of the path to the summit Otherwise right via Wells cave checking the uphill sides of the exposed bedding planes.

I haven't been out there in a while, so probably worthwhile taking some nylon bristled brushes.

http://www.chockstone.org/Cathedral/Cathedral.htm

More local - check out the Eastern Vic guide and look for places like Ship or Egg rock plus other obscure granite blobs in the forest. Personally I rather drive further afield, but these are passable if you live close.

http://www.chockstone.org/Gembrook/Gembrook.htm
Wolfa
25-Aug-2012
9:23:07 PM
Thanks mate! that'll get me started.
paul
26-Aug-2012
10:48:43 AM
There are numerous road cuttings which have a bit of potential (most are crap though) and there are many old quarries in the Yarra valley heading torards Warburton, many with loose rock. Maroondah resivour l;ooks like it might have something but I am fairly sure that you are not allowed to climb there. Someone told me about an old quarray on the road between toolangi and healsville but I haven't checked this out yet. Maybe you could bind a concrete structure and epoxy some broken bricks on.

Pat
26-Aug-2012
6:29:29 PM
If you sniffed around enough you would find some bouldering along the Yarra.
dalai
26-Aug-2012
8:37:00 PM
Can't recall even one quarry in the Yarra Valley that I'd pull shoes on for...

On 26/08/2012 Pat wrote:
>If you sniffed around enough you would find some bouldering along the Yarra.

There is one slightly overhanging wall by the river that springs to mind - but has one short traverse and at most half a dozen up problems... Used to go out there a little as at the time it was only 15 minutes from home. Dropped down to the wall various ways and enjoyed a lovely grassy landing. Last time I was there it had been discovered with a worn track to it's base, no grass and even a fixed wire!

IdratherbeclimbingM9
26-Aug-2012
8:44:18 PM
On 26/08/2012 dalai wrote:
>- but has one short traverse and at most half a dozen up problems...

Is this the equivalent of a multipitch for adventure-trad climbers?
;-)
marky
26-Aug-2012
10:57:46 PM
Where is this spot Martin?

Pat
27-Aug-2012
10:02:04 AM
. . . and even a fixed wire!

Booty stampede!

There are 9 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints