Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
VIC All (General) (General) (General) [ Victoria Guide | Images ] 

Author
Climbing areas

bigchris
6-Aug-2012
7:22:15 PM
Hey Guys,

Apart from the mountains/crags in the iCrag guide/arapiles and gramps, where else is there to climb in vic?

Mainly looking for multipitch stuff. Is there anywhere else?

shortman
6-Aug-2012
7:35:48 PM
Yeah. You've been to the cathedral ranges havn't ya?

Buffalo is really really good too.

Check out the guide button to the left of these words.

Ben_E
6-Aug-2012
7:40:11 PM
http://www.chockstone.org/guide.htm

Nothing there that takes your fancy?

Honestly not wishing to be rude or put a dampener on things, but it seems you've tried chockstone looking for multipitch stuff proximal to Melbourne before. If no-one posted up the Victorian version of Yosemite a mere 45 minutes drive from the CBD then, odds are they will continue to keep silent about it now.

I think other than Araps and the Gramps, Mt Buffalo is probably the best option for multipitch in Victoria.

Edit: Shortman beat me to it, but I think we're more or less on the same page.

bigchris
6-Aug-2012
7:46:15 PM
Yeah been to cathedrals a few times. Haven't been to buffalo, so we'll check that out. Its obviously a summer only thing so will have to wait until then.

Duang Daunk
6-Aug-2012
7:58:13 PM
On 6/08/2012 bigchris wrote:
>Mainly looking for multipitch stuff. Is there anywhere else?
>
Take up bouldering. It will all seem out there for your climbing when you do it without a rope.

ajfclark
6-Aug-2012
8:17:06 PM
I believe Ben Nevis near Ararat has some multipitch stuff too: http://www.chockstone.org/BenNevis/BenNevis.htm

The longer Mackey's slab routes at Buff might be nice this time of year too? M9 might have the local beta for you on what's good to climb up there in winter.
widewetandslippery
6-Aug-2012
8:44:31 PM
the strong dollar would make italy the best local multi pitch option

shortman
6-Aug-2012
8:52:54 PM
This thread is like a mirror image of one started by bigchris in the past.

Can u start another one about training bigchris?

That one was a cracker.

:-)
One Day Hero
6-Aug-2012
9:50:50 PM
Is bigchris the drummer who wanted to know how to get to climbing mid 20's at Araps in a hurry? How's that coming along, mate? You smashing it up yet?

shortman
6-Aug-2012
10:04:33 PM
On 6/08/2012 One Day Hero wrote:
>Is bigchris the drummer who wanted to know how to get to climbing mid 20's
>at Araps in a hurry? How's that coming along, mate? You smashing it up
>yet?

I just bought that up on another thread. Classic stuff.

bigchris
7-Aug-2012
10:46:52 PM
Haha yeah I am that guy. Leading high teens and starting to TR into the 20's. Funny thing is, a very good friend of mine who has climbed with you said you were a nice bloke ODH.

So cheers for your help and general c--kheadness ODH and Shortman. It must be difficult to offer advice to people who are generally trying their hardest to get out and climb to have a good time.

Peace.
One Day Hero
8-Aug-2012
12:01:52 AM
On 7/08/2012 bigchris wrote:
>Haha yeah I am that guy. Leading high teens and starting to TR into the
>20's. Funny thing is, a very good friend of mine who has climbed with you
>said you were a nice bloke ODH.

Hmmm. Well, say hi to this mystery person, whoever they might be.
>
>So cheers for your help and general c--kheadness ODH and Shortman. It
>must be difficult to offer advice to people who are generally trying their
>hardest to get out and climb to have a good time.

Straight advice is easy, witty and clever is hard ;)

Anyway, the straight answer goes a little like this; You live in a not very cliff-endowed (by world standards) section of the flattest continent on earth. Gramps and Araps are world class, buffalo is worth getting to know as it's only a few hours up the road, almost everything else in Victoria is little or crap or (most likely) both. If you want long easy routes, I'd plan trips to the 'Bungles, Tassie, Blueys, and Queensland. If you want lots of long easy routes on good rock, you'll need to buy a plane ticket.

shortman
8-Aug-2012
3:29:18 AM
On 7/08/2012 bigchris wrote:
>Haha yeah I am that guy. Leading high teens and starting to TR into the
>20's. Funny thing is, a very good friend of mine who has climbed with you
>said you were a nice bloke ODH.

Mike right?
>
>So cheers for your help and general c--kheadness ODH and Shortman. It
>must be difficult to offer advice to people who are generally trying their
>hardest to get out and climb to have a good time.

No, it wasn't hard to answer your question again.
>
>Peace.

Just so I'm not confused. Pls explain c--kheadness?

There are 13 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints