Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 22
Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
All NSW (General) (General) (General)  

Author
Wolgan - Capertree Creek Cliffs
technogeekery
1-Aug-2012
5:30:18 PM
Anyone got any info on this crag? Its in http://www.thecrag.com/area/11770909 but no further info re access, etc. We are planning to go camping in the area, and looking for easy trad, and this looks perfect with 30 routes of grade 8-18. I've tried to get the guidebook for the Wolgan but stores in Sydney are out of it.

Superstu
1-Aug-2012
5:42:07 PM
As far as I know the last time that crag appeared in a comprehensive guide was the Taylor/Penney 1984 guide! It didn't make it into the 2001 Stevens guide. Probably hasn't had a visit this century.
citationx
1-Aug-2012
8:05:37 PM
There is someone who occasionally lurks on here and has in the past through third-party channels claimed to have done many, many, many fine cracks. and has also claimed that he's bolted a shiteload.
Anyway, i don't really believe either claim, but I thought I'd put it out there anyway.
jrc
1-Aug-2012
10:30:09 PM
i went there in 74 and again in 2001. Hadn't changed much. Fairly easy grades and as i remember it more than a bit sandy.

Has a rather fun blocky / cave system at the end that overlooks the old pub, nice for games with adventurous kids.(usual caveats apply!)
technogeekery
3-Aug-2012
10:47:26 AM
jrc - can you please tell me where it is? I don't know the area at all, and there is no description of this cliff on thecrag.com - basically I'm trying to locate it so that we can find it when we go camping there. I'm taking my adventurous kids, and we are all into easy trad, so this cliff sounds great.
citationx
3-Aug-2012
11:08:39 AM
am i the only one that can't get onto thecrag.com?

ajfclark
3-Aug-2012
11:27:40 AM
According to their facebook feed, they've been having issues with their hosting provider recently. Could be related? I can get there at the moment though.

rodw
3-Aug-2012
11:35:41 AM
I get on it but its very slooooow.
jrc
3-Aug-2012
2:47:24 PM
i'll see if i can get you a map reference.
in the mean time, Capertee Ck is the creek with the 'big dip' about 500m after the pub, and before the 'green'. Walk left along the pub side of the creek, wander up past the old mine managers house ruins and make your way up to the cliffline, vaguely visible beyond the bush. Usual Wolgan 15-20 min uphill wander.
technogeekery
6-Aug-2012
7:41:30 PM
thanks jrc
jrc
6-Aug-2012
9:25:26 PM
Ben Bullen 1 / 25,000 414256 is about right
technogeekery
7-Aug-2012
9:02:26 AM
much appreciated. I see the SRC has a Wolgan trip and sheep roast on the Oct long weekend - maybe I can get some like-minded trad dads to revive this somewhat forgotten crag with me. I'll take my whippersnipper along with my whippersnappers.
Wollemi
7-Aug-2012
10:35:50 AM
FYI
From OzCanyons;

Just in case anyone's planning a mid-week winter trip to
Newnes in the next few weeks...

Stabilisation works on the Wolgan Road

Lithgow Council have advised that stabilisation works on the Wolgan Road
at Wolgan Gap will commence on Monday 30th July, 2012 and will continue
for and estimated 4 week period, weather permitting.

Road closures of up to 4 hours at a time will be necessary whilst the
reconstruction work is undertaken. The Wolgan Road will therefore be
closed during the following periods:
From 8.00am to 12 noon
From 1.30pm to 5.00pm
(Monday to Friday for 4 weeks)

Contact Chris Schumacher (Council's Works Manager) on 6354-9999 between
8.15am and 4.30pm Monday to Friday should you require any additional
information in relation to this matter.

or The Blue Mountains Heritage Centre on 02 4787 8877
Benm
7-Aug-2012
9:41:21 PM
Yeah - just another good example of government $$$ being used to assist private $$$makers, in this case that blight on the landscape Emirates Wolgan Resort.
citationx
8-Aug-2012
6:38:48 AM
On 7/08/2012 Benm wrote:
>Yeah - just another good example of government $$$ being used to assist
>private $$$makers, in this case that blight on the landscape Emirates Wolgan
>Resort.

i'm probably not going to be the only person to say that emirates was actually required to monetarily assist with the infrastructure (including making the road better) to newnes.

hangdog
8-Aug-2012
12:38:46 PM
On 8/08/2012 Superstu wrote:
>The emirates resort might provoke some kind of melancholy reflection on
>our society's values (such as exclusivity being cherished) but surely the
>wallerang coal power station is more of a blight on the landscape... With
>impacts that go far beyond its locality.
>
I wish chockstone had a LIKE button like facebook
Estey
8-Aug-2012
2:00:05 PM
On 8/08/2012 citationx wrote:
>
>i'm probably not going to be the only person to say that emirates was
>actually required to monetarily assist with the infrastructure (including
>making the road better) to newnes.
>

I'm guessing their investment in public infrastructure stopped at the entrance to the resort ... I don't think the road was improved further down. Could be wrong. I wonder how many people have driven down the improved road at speed and then hit moonscape of Wolgan pothholes at 100kph.

Something is better than nothing I suppose.
citationx
8-Aug-2012
2:03:03 PM
On 8/08/2012 Estey wrote:
>On 8/08/2012 citationx wrote:
>>
>>i'm probably not going to be the only person to say that emirates was
>>actually required to monetarily assist with the infrastructure (including
>>making the road better) to newnes.
>>
>
>I'm guessing their investment in public infrastructure stopped at the
>entrance to the resort ... I don't think the road was improved further
>down. Could be wrong. I wonder how many people have driven down the improved
>road at speed and then hit moonscape of Wolgan pothholes at 100kph.
>
>Something is better than nothing I suppose.

Had you seen the state of the "asphalt" road that went past the colliery, before you even reached the rim of the wolgan, prior to the upgrading, you'd be grateful that even that was provided for. once you're at the resort, you've already done 75% of the trip to newnes. I believe there's still work being carried out, i saw signs and coloured tape et al when I went down there two weeks ago.
Sure, it's not perfect, but as you say, something is better than nothing.
technogeekery
29-Jan-2013
11:42:18 AM
I was u[p at the Wolgan this wet & wild Australia Day weekend - didn't get a lot of climbing in because of the weather, but explored a lot of this wonderful place. Scoped out Old Baldy and Coke Ovens cliffs, and dragged a bunch of kids up some easy slabs on the Coke Ovens cliffs.

I'm keen to resurrect some of the routes on Capertee Creek cliffs, as there are lots of routes there which the kids should be able to get up (and not so many good easy routes on the bigger crags). If anyone has a copy of the 1884 guide, I'd very much appreciate a scanned copy of this crag (approaches and routes). I'll transcribe the routes (appropriately credited) on the SRC and Thecrag online guides so the details don't disappear forever, and go and check them out / do some cleaning & climbing / update the descriptions next time I go up there.

If you can help with a scan (or lend me the guide for me to transcribe from), I'd be grateful.

Cheers
climberman
29-Jan-2013
11:56:24 AM
I have a day off and have already been out with the kids to look at the swell eating our local estuaries, so could scan these pages across to you ?

Just Capertee Creek cliffs ?

Email sent to your listed addy.

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 22
There are 22 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints