Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Crag & Route Beta

Crag & Route Beta

Page 1 of 3. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 52
Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
International (General) (General) (General)  

Author
Phi Phi - Accomodation

BundyBear
23-May-2012
3:22:18 PM
I am planning a family holiday to Phi Phi next January.

Can anyone recommend somewhere to stay that is good for the family (ie, pool, and close to shops, etc) and also walking distance to the climbing area’s.

Thanks

nmonteith
23-May-2012
3:24:18 PM
Look for accommodation more than 2m above the ocean level.

tnd
23-May-2012
3:51:54 PM
I just got back from two weeks there, Bundy. My shoulder's buggered and I'm waiting for an op, so wasn't climbing. You looking for one large room/suite or separate for you/wife and the kids? GF and I stayed in a new bungalow right under the tower, you could have rappelled onto the verandah.

BundyBear
23-May-2012
4:19:10 PM
On 23/05/2012 tnd wrote:
You looking for one large room/suite
>or separate for you/wife and the kids? GF and I stayed in a new bungalow
>right under the tower, you could have rappelled onto the verandah.

Yep, perfect. What's the joint called. How much ?

tnd
23-May-2012
5:09:58 PM
"Phi Phi Popular" bungalows (http://phiphipopularbeach.com/ ). We stayed a few nights so got a discount. Normal price at this time of year is Baht 2000 (30 to the $). Probably half as much again in high season when you'll be there! That's for an air con bungalow with double bed. I hate air con but gf can't live without it. All the new bungalows between the jetty and the tower seem to be air con now.

There's a place next door called Mama (http://mama-beach.com/ ) has little modern three storey buildings, might be more exy, I didn't check them out.

Beside Mama is a little bar/climbing shop called Deaf Gecko. Run by an American guy called Jeff, used to own Karma Bar which was pretty well known on PP. Good for info and cheap beers.

You can tick all my routes on that tower, they'll probably be second ascents...

tnd
23-May-2012
5:27:48 PM
Btw Phi Phi was the first place westerners (French) climbed in Thailand and what is probably the first bolted route in the country is on the tower:

Latitude 8 (5+) 15m
FA Dolby Monet, Wilfried Colonna 14/11/1987

Crap route, but historic in its way. Don't worry, the bolts have been replaced.

Maybe if a Pom had discovered the place it would be all bad natural pro and headpointing now (and no-one would go).

Pat
23-May-2012
11:05:16 PM
phiphipopularbeach link seems to be dead.
One Day Hero
23-May-2012
11:27:17 PM
On 23/05/2012 tnd wrote:
>Maybe if a Pom had discovered the place it would be all bad natural pro
>and headpointing now (and no-one would go).

.....or maybe if a bunch of Australians (who weren't sydney rockies softc--ks) had found it, the place would be sweet mixed climbing like Bungonia. None of those god awful backpacker/climbers would be be there, it wouldn't be polished, and you'd meet only proper climbers from all round the world..........ah fuch it, it's too hot for climbing anyway, might as well be given over to the pussies.

tnd
24-May-2012
8:12:45 AM
On 23/05/2012 Pat wrote:
>phiphipopularbeach link seems to be dead.

The underlined link was including the closing bracket, edited my post to fix it.

tnd
24-May-2012
8:14:33 AM
On 23/05/2012 One Day Hero wrote:
>Retarded shit.

f--- off and die, four eyes.

benjenga
24-May-2012
8:54:19 AM
Sorry I threadjack bundy but has anyone climbed in Thailand in late June/July?
I know it's in the middle of the wet season but on the rain charts it looks like the low point so it may not rain all day, just in the arvos.
Thoughts?
dalai
24-May-2012
9:19:40 AM
ODH - did you man up and climb all the routes on wigglies to show those pesky Euro's how it's done, or are you just all talk?
pecheur
24-May-2012
10:29:34 AM
On 24/05/2012 dalai wrote:
>ODH - did you man up and climb all the routes on wigglies to show those
>pesky Euro's how it's done, or are you just all talk?

Sadly when I first looked at the climbs there, I was thinking exactly that: "Why is this stuff bolted?"

Then when I started climbing and touching the rock I realised that I wouldn't trust small gear in a lot of the obvious placements, and went: "Oh that's why it's bolted ..."
mattbrooks
24-May-2012
11:34:57 AM
Man up and go to Railay with your wigglies Bundy! Seriously though Phi Phi, Railay is better. Although Phi Phi is good for the family, but more crowded with random back packers than Railay, but yeah I recommend up away from sea level after my last visit lol.
dalai
24-May-2012
12:15:14 PM
Why the concern with being close to sea level?
pecheur
24-May-2012
12:22:19 PM
>Why the concern with being close to sea level?

Tsunami ;)

BundyBear
24-May-2012
12:23:15 PM
On 24/05/2012 mattbrooks wrote:
>Man up and go to Railay with your wigglies Bundy! Seriously though Phi
>Phi, Railay is better. Although Phi Phi is good for the family, but more
>crowded with random back packers than Railay, but yeah I recommend up away
>from sea level after my last visit lol.

Yeah that's right Matt. Its not really a climbing holiday, more so a family holiday with some climbing.
One Day Hero
24-May-2012
12:52:59 PM
>ODH - did you man up and climb all the routes on wigglies to show those
>pesky Euro's how it's done, or are you just all talk?

Nope, I barely climbed there at all, it's too hot! Look, Thailand could be bolted as a mixed crag like Bungonia (and most of Victoria) it wouldn't be any more dangerous, it'd just require that people actually know how to climb. Anyway, whatever, it isn't a real climbing destination anyway, just a tropical holiday with a few climbs thrown in............and a last resort for losers who need to see the number 25 next to a route they can climb, even though they can barely wobble up 22.
One Day Hero
24-May-2012
1:10:41 PM
On 24/05/2012 pecheur wrote:
>
>Then when I started climbing and touching the rock I realised that I wouldn't
>trust small gear in a lot of the obvious placements, and went: "Oh that's
>why it's bolted ..."

Nope, it's bolted because a bunch of people decided it was going to be that way. Again, whatever, I'm not against sport climbing.

Henry Barber made an interesting point in his slide show a few years ago (he was probably the first person to put up routes in Yangshuo, but no one knows about it because he didn't bolt). His argument was that it's irresponsible to export a single climbing style to a foreign culture. The Chinese are being robbed of the opportunity to learn different styles and make their own decisions by a bunch of foreign climbers who teach them how to bolt but not how place gear.

Eduardo Slabofvic
24-May-2012
2:00:24 PM
China (including Yangshuo) has quite a lot of trad. The trad routes in Yangshuo were nothing special though.

Guoliang is mostly trad, with a few mixed routes, it's been a few years since I was in China, so I can't guarantee that there's no sport routes at all, some of the local climbers described it as a "trad paradise" - which is a big call. It tends to be vertical with lots of cracks, a pretty good place, pretty well smack bang in the middle of China - but a paradise????.

LiMing (I'm told) is all trad with bolt anchors. This was part of the deal allowing climbers access to the place. Climbing was banned when I was there, but now is permissible.

The granite crags further north would take trad, but I haven't been there, so don't really know.

I took a full rack last time I went and thoroughly enjoyed myself. You just need to decide on how much stuff you want to travel with. All the guys I met who are doing new routes more or less live there, so they've got loads of gear, way more than I would be comfortable traveling with.

Back on message - don't forget about Kao Laoliang for the family. It's pretty low key, with enough climbing for a week or so. You'd cop the tsunami in the teeth though.

Page 1 of 3. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 52
There are 52 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints