HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Crag & Route Beta

Crag & Route Beta

Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
International (General) (General) (General)  

Author
Advice on climbing in Osp, Slovenia.
cogsy
15-May-2012
4:29:21 PM
I'm looking at spending a few weeks in Osp early next year, as part of a Euro climbing trip.
Anybody been there and have any advice about it?
It's a family trip.. my wife is a keen climber, we both like to climb in the 23-28 range in Australia (sport, and we proudly avoid placing wigglies). I have 2 kids who will be 5 and 3 and are pretty well adjusted to climbing trips, so might like some kid friendly routes too if possible.

(PS..I'm at the 23 end, she's at the 28 end)
kp
15-May-2012
4:31:43 PM
Hi Chris,

I know Nathan & Heather have both been there recently. Might want to hit them up for some info....

kp
maxdacat
15-May-2012
4:53:10 PM
Not sure about Osp, but I have heard good things about Misja Pec. I did stumble across this place there last winter. Talk about convenience climbing:

It's near lake Bohinj which is close to Bled. Both are worth a visit, but I'm not sure if much sport climbing gets done there in winter ie when you seem to want to travel.
gfdonc
15-May-2012
5:14:42 PM
They're the same place (well, 500m apart). Google works wonders.

http://www.coronn.com/TOPOS/slovenia/osp/osp.html
cogsy
15-May-2012
5:23:11 PM
Planning May (I suppose that's early.. I'm just wishing my holiday is coming sooner!). I found the corronn.com stuff. Also had a quick chat with Nathan on the weekend... he was raving about it.. Just fishing for as much info as I could get!
alpinejoy
15-May-2012
5:30:18 PM
I climbed in Osp a couple of days last year, amazing place. It was mid summer so way to hot for most routes, but allot of our grades were in to the shade (up to 6c) so we did ok. Just took a look at the guide and there is a handfull of french 3 and 4 routes for kids. Winter to spring would be the time to be there.

Climbed in a few different areas, but were often limited by the heat. Kotecnik was the best place we climbed, lots of quality routes and shaded. Not spectacular like Osp, but the farmhouse were we camped was great and the people friendly.

Try to order a guidebook if you can. They were out of print and very hard to find last year, just found one by luck after being there a couple of days. Print out what ever topos you can find online if you cant find the guide.
One Day Hero
16-May-2012
12:34:50 AM
Spent a week there a little over ten years ago, was a super nice little village with good camping and friendly locals. I had a bit of trouble with the routes........the main attraction is huge cave with 25-40m routes, steep as dicks with full tufa pinching craziness the whole way. All the locals had forearms bigger than my calves.......seriously!

Anyway, it'd be fine for kids, and I think the style is really cool if you have time to pick it up/get fit for it in 2 weeks.

BundyBear
16-May-2012
9:32:23 AM
I meant to stop and climb, but somehow I ended up on a beach in Croatia and never made it back..
martym
17-May-2012
11:40:25 AM
I'd recommend (as I do every time Europe comes up) Paklenica - be great for kids, tons to do, cheaper than Euro countries, beach nearby, lots of day trip options, toilet block built into an old bunker - but still feels outdoorsy.

I didn't climb in Osp, but other parts of Slovenia were nothing special, ok climbing, but not world class. The only issue with Osp we were warned (hence didn't go) is how popular it is - it's so close to the only strip of sea in Slovenia that it's over run with tourists & climbers alike.
That said - it'll be well developed.
jana
7-Jan-2013
3:08:06 AM
Hello! If you look for accommodation there is a great hostel Hostel Ociski Raj just 12 km from Osp. (www.hostel-ocizla.si).
Xaxid Hostel
13-Jul-2013
9:53:18 PM
Visit our webpage www.hostelxaxid.si and get some more informations about the Osp climbing area and really good accomodation :-) see you!
HostelOciskiraj
1-Jan-2014
9:37:14 PM
Climbing topo Osp&Mišja peč + Črni Kal http://krimp.si/Ppreview.html
Doolie
2-Jan-2014
1:28:00 AM
Make sure you get a Vignette ( pronounced vinjetta) if your driving on the Slovenian Freeways. We didn't and got whacked with a 150 Euro fine. You only need it for the freeways.

You can get them from petrol stations near the border or at the border it self. I'd recommend trying the petrol stations as its easy to go through the border and miss your pull over for the vignette as we did. They won't let you go back for it.

martym
2-Jan-2014
10:56:20 AM
On 2/01/2014 Doolie wrote:
>Make sure you get a Vignette ( pronounced vinjetta) if your driving on
>the Slovenian Freeways. We didn't and got whacked with a 150 Euro fine.
>You only need it for the freeways.
>
>You can get them from petrol stations near the border or at the border
>it self. I'd recommend trying the petrol stations as its easy to go through
>the border and miss your pull over for the vignette as we did. They won't
>let you go back for it.

Same for Austria & Czech Rep - I think Switzerland too.... Germany is free & Italy Charge (a motza) at toll booths. France is the worst. Google it.
>
climberman
2-Jan-2014
1:08:11 PM
On 2/01/2014 Doolie wrote:
>Make sure you get a Vignette ( pronounced vinjetta) if your driving on
>the Slovenian Freeways. We didn't and got whacked with a 150 Euro fine.
>You only need it for the freeways.

I always figured they were bigger on poetry?
ClimbIstria
16-Jul-2015
7:37:43 PM
Check for all the informations about sport climbing in Istria (Slovenia, Croatia, Italy) on www.climbistria.com

There are 16 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints