Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Crag & Route Beta

Crag & Route Beta

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 28
Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
VIC Eastern (General) (General) (General)  

Author
Avon Wilderness Forest Climbing
AcaliwebbinOz
9-Mar-2012
4:23:24 PM
Hello Victorian climbers. I am a California native, lived in Perth now for 4 years and in a few months I will be moving to Gippsland. I am scouring the area for some climbing spots. I noticed the nearest climbing gym is about 2.5 hours away :( But the Avon wilderness is nearby. I hope there are some boulders in Gippsland or maybe some quarries that have exposed some climbing spots. It looks like a desperate area but hey I've managed to climb in Perth (really flat) for a while and keep entertained. Looking forward to moving and meeting some cool people to climb with. So, does anyone know if there is good climbing in the Avon wilderness forest or the Alpine national park?
Cheers, much appreciated.
kieranl
9-Mar-2012
4:59:08 PM
YPB.
Where are you going to live in Gippsland?
AcaliwebbinOz
10-Mar-2012
1:06:18 AM
Maffra I think.
hero
10-Mar-2012
8:35:05 AM
The Channels (on the Avon) near Maffra could be a good place for above water bouldering. They're pretty amazing.
dalai
10-Mar-2012
6:54:17 PM
On 10/03/2012 hero wrote:
>The Channels (on the Avon) near Maffra could be a good place for above
>water bouldering. They're pretty amazing.

Doesn't look that great from a climbing perspective...

hero
11-Mar-2012
9:13:58 AM
Did I say climbing?
dalai
11-Mar-2012
10:29:38 AM
On 11/03/2012 hero wrote:
>Did I say climbing?

You did say bouldering, which I still see as a form of climbing. Though I know others will disagree...

IdratherbeclimbingM9
11-Mar-2012
12:37:06 PM
On 11/03/2012 dalai wrote:
>On 11/03/2012 hero wrote:
>>Did I say climbing?
>
>You did say bouldering, which I still see as a form of climbing. Though
>I know others will disagree...

... ~> dems sound like fightin words ta me some!
Hehx3

I want to see the video (like on Qurank), after simey gets to a point in his water+ level traverse*, and dives off to swim to the rescue kayak!
;-)

(*There looks to be an undercling endless traverse to glory at about third to half height).
AcaliwebbinOz
13-Mar-2012
9:29:24 PM
Looks like some swift water. I've been searching the area for decent bouldering... without much luck.

Pat
13-Mar-2012
10:19:19 PM
Neilson's is sort of near Maffra - wilderness crag needing development?
gfdonc
14-Mar-2012
10:10:35 AM
There's an undeveloped cliff upstream of the Channels, nearer to Huggetts Crossing.
I was in there in January and have photos but not with me just now.

There are also some possibly-fun boulders upstream of the Channels, about 1-2 bends up the river, but I'm no boulderer so it would seem a waste of time.

Nice spot regardless.
dalai
14-Mar-2012
10:57:45 AM
On 14/03/2012 gfdonc wrote:

But both worthy tips for AcaliwebbinOz. If nothing else, he will end up exploring some beautiful country... ;-)

ZERO
14-Mar-2012
11:45:44 AM
Great kayaking through the channels when in flood.
Excellent single track MTB near Glenmaggie and forest areas.
Did not find any climbing during my year in Maffra, but I am not a boulderer.
Lots of limestone further east in Snowy River area.
AcaliwebbinOz
14-Mar-2012
3:56:24 PM
Sounds like a really great spot. I love MTBing, not as much as climbing but...
This is encouraging, before I was worried but I reckon there is way more to do outdoors in Gippsland than Perth. I started as strictly bouldering because I had no one to climb with. I've only gotten into route climbing doing some sport and lead in the last 3 months. What I am really looking forward to is getting out in the country and camping/hiking/ exploring for some interesting boulder routes. Also I hope to get up to the alps and do some Ice climbing.

rodw
14-Mar-2012
6:34:33 PM
Just what out for the drop bears...there have been a shit load of sightings in that area...probably because of all the recent rain...

http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear

AcaliwebbinOz
14-Mar-2012
8:25:33 PM
Been in Australia 4 years and I've only seen them when people from America come and visit me oddly enough.
gfdonc
15-Mar-2012
11:50:38 AM
Haven't got the shots of the new cliff yet, but here's a couple more of The Channels if you're interested.

nmonteith
15-Mar-2012
12:00:39 PM
On 15/03/2012 gfdonc wrote:
>Haven't got the shots of the new cliff yet, but here's a couple more of
>The Channels if you're interested.

Is that water worn sandstone Steve? Looks a lot like a mini Utah canyon!
gfdonc
15-Mar-2012
12:07:16 PM
Yep, water polished sandstone.

Paulie
15-Mar-2012
8:51:30 PM
Pics of the cliff please! Could be the uber crag of East Gippy that everyone is dying for!

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 28
There are 28 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints