Page 2 of 3. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 51
Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
VIC Grampians (General) (General) (General) [ Grampians Guide | Images ] 

Author
Mt Rosea and Bundaleer Open! UPDATE 12/12/12

jezza
8-Oct-2012
1:23:24 PM
Kieran / Tracy - do you know if there's been any progress in the last month?
kieranl
8-Oct-2012
2:27:09 PM
Nothing that I've heard. I wouldn't expect anything until opening is imminent which, from Tracey's earlier post is probably not going to be until late November/early December.

It's worth keeping an eye on the Grampians Park Web Page http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/explore/parks/grampians-national-park

Also on this webpage is a new (August) PDF map for download supposedly "optimised for viewing on mobile devices" (requires Avenza PDF Mapps app). Here's a link.
http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/543099/Map-Grampians-NP.pdf
I haven't tried this out on a mobile device but it does have some useful stuff, particularly on where you can and can't camp in the Park.
Access T CliffCare
9-Oct-2012
4:14:19 AM
In Morocco at moment so won't be phoning to check but I have had no correspondence from my contacts at PV who keep me informed. The situation will still be as it was the last post I made. It is a very rare occurence that a reopening occurs sooner than noted.

Cheers,
Tracey
BA
9-Oct-2012
4:18:45 PM
Hey Kieran

Can you email me please? I lost your email address in a hard drive mishap.

Cheers
BA
Wendy
9-Oct-2012
9:00:18 PM
The top one of the Stoney Creek Rd Campsites is accessible. The one opposite the Bundaleer turnoff.
BigJam
13-Oct-2012
5:52:42 PM
Any news if Mt Rosea has opened yet?
kieranl
13-Oct-2012
9:38:26 PM
On 13/10/2012 JN wrote:
>Any news if Mt Rosea has opened yet?
Not in the last few days. Perhaps you could look at the posts towards the top of this page?
gfdonc
21-Nov-2012
4:58:03 PM
(bump) any news?
Mike Bee
7-Dec-2012
1:53:50 PM
I'm heading over to the Gramps this weekend, so just to confirm, Bundaleer is open, Rosea is still closed?
Access T CliffCare
7-Dec-2012
2:18:53 PM
On 7/12/2012 Mike Bee wrote:
>I'm heading over to the Gramps this weekend, so just to confirm, Bundaleer
>is open, Rosea is still closed?

Bundaleer open ( new access details for current situation) http://cliffcare.org.au/grampians/central-grampians/, Rosea closed.

Cheers,
Tracey
anthonycuskelly
8-Dec-2012
9:02:02 AM
Just to add: The section of road immediately before the climbers track has been repaired recently and we were able to park at the start of the climbers track a couple of weeks ago.
kieranl
8-Dec-2012
9:33:01 AM
On 7/12/2012 access t wrote:
>Bundaleer open ( new access details for current situation) http://cliffcare.org.au/grampi
>ns/central-grampians/, Rosea closed.
>
>Cheers,
>Tracey
Fixed the link : http://cliffcare.org.au/grampians/central-grampians/
(didn't have a space after it)
kieranl
11-Dec-2012
12:17:36 PM
Notification from Parks that the Silverband Road is opening tomorrow 12 December at 11:30 am. There will be a short site tour from the Rosea CarPark at 10 am sharp for anyone who is interested.
Unfortunately this doesn't mean that Rosea is open. I've checked with Parks and they are still working on the track. I was hoping that it might be open to climbers as we only follow the tourist track for 5 minutes but not so.
gfdonc
11-Dec-2012
3:41:48 PM
On 11/12/2012 kieranl wrote:
>.. Parks and they are still working on the track. I was hoping that it might
>be open to climbers as we only follow the tourist track for 5 minutes but
>not so.

Does anyone really understand what is going on here?
I suspect from rumours that the track works are a substantial upgrade to the previous walking track. This can be compared to closing the Natimuk-Arapiles road until they upgrade it to a 4-lane freeway. Except in any case we are just trying to get to Goroke. Whaaat?
kieranl
11-Dec-2012
4:38:59 PM
On 11/12/2012 gfdonc wrote:
>
>Does anyone really understand what is going on here?
>I suspect from rumours that the track works are a substantial upgrade
>to the previous walking track. This can be compared to closing the Natimuk-Arapiles
>road until they upgrade it to a 4-lane freeway. Except in any case we
>are just trying to get to Goroke. Whaaat?
>
I don't know in detail but I understand that the track was to be relocated in places (because of erosion?) so some sections of new track would have to be built in addition to repairs. Very disappointing that this is still closed. Of the almost 7 years since the large fires of January 2006 Mount Rosea has been closed to the public for 4. That's not good. There's got to be a better way than these blanket closures.
Access T CliffCare
11-Dec-2012
5:08:20 PM
I'm waiting to hear back on further information as to what stage the contractors are at and the time frame we are looking at and will go from there.

Some of the reasons to take into account why it has been taking so long - The damage to the track was the flood event. They only recently received insurance money to cover the repairs to a number of places. And possibly like a few other repair jobs in the park, not all is covered by insurance and the park are then required to make up the difference. The track received some damage down lower(where we access it) which wasn't too bad in the grand scheme of things but there are other parts where it is now not possible to have the track due to really serious damage. The track has needed to be realigned through a new area. This takes quite a while to assess where the best place would be and is it viable. As it is a new track that has to be cut and ground disturbed, this then needs to have an application put in for it to be assessed by an Indigenous cultural heritage team. All new tracks and works that PV do that disturb ground are required to undergo this. All of this takes time and money and unfortunately that isn't something that PV has a lot of.
I did discuss the possbility of climbers accessing it. The problem is Rosea is a really popular area with a number of user groups who want to access it and who have been asking as much as we have. If they allow climbers to access it, then they have little leg to stand on to tell the other groups they are not allowed to.
In the bigger picture, what is really disturbing is that budget cuts and 'streamlining' of our parks service are making it more and more difficult to get these kind of works done in a decent timeline.

Cheers,
Tracey
Access T CliffCare
12-Dec-2012
10:52:15 AM
Hi All,

Just finished speaking with PV. Good news. Rosea climbing area is open for climbing! They have agreed that as we only need to use a small section of the walking track at the start then this will be acceptable in order for us to access the climbers track. Please note though that the Rosea walking track is still officially closed so don't use this to access any other part of the area. Other users are still not able to use it and the area and walking track won't be promoted.
I assured them that it is highly unlikely that the climbers will want to be doing anything other than walking up the climbers track and climbing :)

Cheers,
Tracey

IdratherbeclimbingM9
12-Dec-2012
11:09:26 AM
On 12/12/2012 access t wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>Just finished speaking with PV. Good news. Rosea climbing area is open
>for climbing! They have agreed that as we only need to use a small section
>of the walking track at the start then this will be acceptable in order
>for us to access the climbers track. Please note though that the Rosea
>walking track is still officially closed so don't use this to access any
>other part of the area. Other users are still not able to use it and the
>area and walking track won't be promoted.
>I assured them that it is highly unlikely that the climbers will want
>to be doing anything other than walking up the climbers track and climbing
>:)
>
>Cheers,
>Tracey

That is excellent news Tracey and we are indepted by your (& VCC), tireless efforts to gain/keep access for climbers.
Thank you for a job well done, and I trust climbers will keep the faith you have shown in them.

Thanks too, to Parks Vic, for letting some common sense enter this access situation!
kieranl
12-Dec-2012
11:09:50 AM
Brilliant news. Thanks Tracey.
gfdonc
12-Dec-2012
11:44:48 AM
Yay! Super. Thanks for the continual follow-up.

Page 2 of 3. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 51
There are 51 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints