Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
VIC Grampians (General) (General) (General) [ Grampians Guide | Images ] 

Author
Mt Rosea and Bundaleer Open! UPDATE 12/12/12
Access T CliffCare
11-Nov-2011
12:39:58 PM
Hi All,

UPDATE: PLEASE READ MORE RECENT POSTS IN THREAD FOR OPENING RESTRICTIONS 12/12/12

As mentioned in other threads, I will be starting work on Rosea and Bundaleer openings in the next couple of weeks (That doesn’t mean it will be open in the next few weeks, just starting the process  I will be looking at the sites and our access tracks and determining if and what work will need to be done due to flood damage. Besides my initial visits to the area, I am looking at setting up a small group of people to be involved in these areas in the longer term . In a sense, climbing area custodians. To work with me, if and when works need to be done and importantly to keep an eye on the area so any issues can be reported to me and we can resolve them sooner rather than later.
A couple of people who are familiar with these areas from a climbing and environmental perspective and regularly visit them would be beneficial. This is not an onerous task. Except being involved in the initial works due to the latest flood impacts, most of the time, it will just mean keeping an eye on the area and also providing feedback. Drop me a line if you would like to be involved - cliffcare@vicclimb.org.au As I said, its not an onerous task, but some kind of commitment would be great.

Cheers,

Tracey
Access T CliffCare
17-Nov-2011
9:18:10 AM
bump
Access T CliffCare
5-Dec-2011
11:16:03 PM
Hi All,

Some more info on Rosea and Bundaleer on the CliffCare website here http://cliffcare.org.au/2011/12/05/access-environment-december-report/ along with some pics

cheers,

Tracey

Doug
6-Dec-2011
6:27:28 PM
Thanks for the report, Tracey. It looks like Parks Victoria is doing what it can at the pace that it can. And thanks to you and others in advance for the work on the climbers' track up to Rosea. Were I in Victoria I'd happily come along and give a hand, but it will just have to be moral support at this stage.
Cheers
Doug
Access T CliffCare
23-Dec-2011
10:40:02 AM
Trying to cover all the threads here that relate to Bundaleer - It is now open. Yay! See here http://www.chockstone.org/Forum/Forum.asp?Action=DisplayTopic&ForumID=15&MessageID=11038&Replies=58#NewPost
CliffCare website also has the details http://cliffcare.org.au/

I'll let you know how Mt Rosea is progressing in the New Year

Cheers,

Tracey
gfdonc
9-Jan-2012
4:39:04 PM
We were over on the Mt Difficult side on Sunday morning, but decided to drive over to Rosea with the expectation we were just up for a longer (and rougher) walk-in. Quoting Tracey's report:
Possibly we can access it via a walk in from the Sundial carpark if the reopening of that section is not possible.

Just to be clear, the gate at the Sundial turnoff says very strongly "no entry" indicating pedestrians. A second sign mentions the area is subject to DSE burnoffs (I'm skeptical) and hence entry could be fatal. I have some photos on the camera at home.

I hadn't expected that from the postings (and links) here that the area was totally out of bounds to foot traffic.
regards
kieranl
9-Jan-2012
5:00:03 PM
On 9/01/2012 gfdonc wrote:
>We were over on the Mt Difficult side on Sunday morning, but decided to
>drive over to Rosea with the expectation we were just up for a longer (and
>rougher) walk-in. Quoting Tracey's report:
>Possibly we can access it via a walk in from the Sundial carpark if
>the reopening of that section is not possible.
>
>Just to be clear, the gate at the Sundial turnoff says very strongly "no
>entry" indicating pedestrians. A second sign mentions the area is subject
>to DSE burnoffs (I'm skeptical) and hence entry could be fatal. I have
>some photos on the camera at home.
>
>I hadn't expected that from the postings (and links) here that the area
>was totally out of bounds to foot traffic.
At the moment all access is prohibited. The issue is that the old Rosea parking area, and the road to it, will be part of the construction area for the Silverband Road works and any access through there is subject to approval of the contractors. At the time we met with Parks the contractors hadn't been appointed, but that was expected within a week or two. Once the contractors were appointed the Parks service were going to try to negotiate an access regime.
Access T CliffCare
9-Jan-2012
8:38:34 PM
On 9/01/2012 gfdonc wrote:
>We were over on the Mt Difficult side on Sunday morning, but decided to
>drive over to Rosea with the expectation we were just up for a longer (and
>rougher) walk-in. Quoting Tracey's report:
>Possibly we can access it via a walk in from the Sundial carpark if
>the reopening of that section is not possible.
>
>Just to be clear, the gate at the Sundial turnoff says very strongly "no
>entry" indicating pedestrians. A second sign mentions the area is subject
>to DSE burnoffs (I'm skeptical) and hence entry could be fatal. I have
>some photos on the camera at home.
>
>I hadn't expected that from the postings (and links) here that the area
>was totally out of bounds to foot traffic.
>regards
>
Hi Steve,

I'm sorry that you misunderstood my report but if you read that quote in context all I was explaining with regards to Rosea was the possibilities/options that may be able to be worked with and the discussions I had with Dave Roberts. I try to provide as much as I can in regards to the discussions and negotiations I have with PV and do try very hard so that people don't misunderstand what I am saying Possibly I should keep the details out of it until the area is actually opened. I actually never gave an opening time for Rosea and said that I would keep people informed as to the Rosea opening progress. As yet I haven't provided that. Now that the Christmas New Year period is over, I shall be speaking further with Dave and will then fill everyone in on the situation. As Kieran pointed out in his response the area is the same as it was before - out of bounds.

Cheers,

Tracey
gfdonc
9-Jan-2012
9:31:04 PM
Tracey,
No harm done and no slight intended. The work you do in engaging with the authorities is very much appreciated.

There was some discussion somewhere about how much longer the walk-in would be and I took that to imply it was open to foot traffic. We hadn't planned to go there when we left for the weekend, if we had I would have probably checked or at least reread the information.

Just wanted to make it clear for others.
People are just going to have to put up with me raving about how good the routes are without being able to go there for a few more weeks (I hope).
Access T CliffCare
17-Feb-2012
4:50:46 PM
>On 9/1/2012 gfdonc said
>Tracey,
>No harm done and no slight intended. The work you do in engaging with the authorities is very much >appreciated.

>There was some discussion somewhere about how much longer the walk-in would be and I took that to >imply it was open to foot traffic. We hadn't planned to go there when we left for the weekend, if we had I >would have probably checked or at least reread the information.
>Just wanted to make it clear for others.
>People are just going to have to put up with me raving about how good the routes are without being able >to go there for a few more weeks (I hope).

No probs Steve - just wanted to clear up what had been quoted incorrectly - on a forum these things have a habit of developing a life of their own. Couple more weeks before opening might have been a bit hopeful though :)
Discussions I have had so far on Rosea are:

VicRoads have engaged their contractor and they will be starting work mid February. Estimate of finished works is August/September 2013. They will be setting up their site office at the Rosea carpark(along with all their trucks) so at this stage, unlikely that we can use that carpark and have the section of road down from Sundial reopened. Looking at the option of being able to access via Stony Creek Road in the meantime – will need to sort out the car parking issue in the area
PV will be starting their work on the Tourist track within the next 2 months. We are also going to start working on our side of things so at least when the time comes we won't be waiting on ourselves. See another thread for the working bee at Rosea - 14th April.
I am hoping to have some firmer dates on re-opening shortly - but seeing as Rosea is not always the best in the colder months, realistically most people can plan to climb there when the season comes around again
Dave is happy for us to start the work we need to do. Best to wait until after summer heat has passed. Maybe March/April.
Access T CliffCare
7-Sep-2012
2:35:20 PM
Contractors have started work on the Rosea walking track but later than originally planned. Hoping that the work will be completed in the next two to three months. So November / December realistically is when it will be opened.

cheers,
Tracey

Pat
7-Sep-2012
3:54:08 PM
Thanks for all your co-ordination of the communication Tracey - can be a thankless task being the messenger.

jezza
10-Sep-2012
12:56:43 PM
So is this how to get to Bundaleer now? http://goo.gl/maps/TsVGg
(drive up mt victory road, turn off stony creek road, park at the end of rosea track and walk from there?)
kieranl
10-Sep-2012
1:46:38 PM
Yes. Don't go via Bellfield, either the one marked on the map or the actual one just south of Halls Gap. (Google doesn't seem able to get that right)

ajfclark
10-Sep-2012
1:57:10 PM
On 10/09/2012 kieranl wrote:
>(Google doesn't seem able to get that right)

They get their map data from whereis. If you complain on whereis, it usually gets fixed fairly quickly and flows through to google shortly after.

jezza
10-Sep-2012
2:24:28 PM
Those little campsites on Stony Creek road between Rosea Track and Silverband Road probably won't be accessible then will they?
gfdonc
10-Sep-2012
2:28:06 PM
Mapping data for the Grampians is all over the place. For example, my GPS claims that to get to Dreamtime Wall I can turn right (coming south) on the "111" which apparently is about 4-5km north of the Serra Road.
I'm yet to see any evidence of that road, or any concept of how it might get over the precipitous mountains to the west.

jezza
10-Sep-2012
5:22:19 PM
Access to Rosea has been explicitly forbidden by Parks till the contractors have finished their work?
One Day Hero
10-Sep-2012
5:27:51 PM
On 10/09/2012 jezza wrote:
>Access to Rosea has been explicitly forbidden by Parks till the contractors
>have finished their work?

If you moved the 'has' to the start of that sentence it'd be more recognisable as a question
Access T CliffCare
10-Sep-2012
6:56:13 PM
On 10/09/2012 jezza wrote:
>Access to Rosea has been explicitly forbidden by Parks till the contractors
>have finished their work?

Answer to your question - yes.

Page 1 of 3. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 51
There are 51 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints