All NSW (General) (General) (General)  

Author
www.sydneyclimbing.com going offline

pmonks
19-Oct-2011
11:40:39 AM
On 19/10/2011 tnd wrote:
>My thanks as well Peter for your vision and work putting the guide together
>when you did. It really was a resource ahead of its time.

Thanks!

Interesting trivia: the original idea for SSS came from the Rockies' very own Bede Harrington (editor of the UBM guide). I can remember chatting with him about how best to capture and store climbing information after a club meeting one wet Wednesday in 1996, and he mentioned he was working on an electronic route database for all of NSW (or was it Australia? I forget...).

I have no idea how far he got with his database (he kind of dropped off the radar at about that time), but he got me thinking about the woeful state of info on climbing in Sydney, and how the (then newfangled) interwebitubes could be a great way to publish climbing info, and the rest is history as they say...

Anyone know if Bede is still climbing?

ajfclark
19-Oct-2011
11:59:17 AM
That's the right IP address. Near as I can see it should work fine just pointing it there but you'll only get the root page of the site.

It is possible to do some config that'll handle the sydneyclimbing.com domain differently and redirect into the appropriate portion of confluence, but there's a little bit of work to be done before that could happen. I don't want to run around on Stu's machine while he's not here so...

In the meantime, I've popped up a vhost on vanya. If you hit 173.255.211.121 and ask for www.sydneyclimbing.com/* or sydneyclimbing.com/* it should serve the appropriate redirect to the Sydney section of the rockies site. Let me know if it's busted or you don't want to use it.

kuu
19-Oct-2011
1:31:25 PM
On 19/10/2011 pmonks wrote:
>
>Anyone know if Bede is still climbing?

Yes, he's still climbing, and XC skiing when there's snow around.

tnd
19-Oct-2011
2:43:34 PM
On 19/10/2011 pmonks wrote:
>...he kind of dropped off the radar at about that time...

Bede would hate to hear you say he dropped off the radar! I think that was about the time he started to breed, which does take up an inordinate amount of time. But he still climbs and has found time in recent years to do a couple of first ascents in the Grose.

Superstu
21-Oct-2011
4:00:20 AM
On 19/10/2011 ajfclark wrote:
>but there's a little bit of work to be done before that could happen.
>I don't want to run around on Stu's machine while he's not here so...

Feel free to run around on that machine while I'm away, I'd only be coming to you for help if I tried doing it myself!

Page 2 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 25
There are 25 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints