HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Crag & Route Beta

Crag & Route Beta

Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
VIC Arapiles Mitre Rock (General) (General) [ Arapiles Guide | Arapiles Images ] 

Author
Falcon nesting mitre rock south side

seppo
30-Sep-2011
11:00:53 AM
Howdy just a warning so you all know there is a falcon nesting in a small cave about halfway up the first pitch of serpent and the fall of man on mitre rock south side.

there were 5 eggs in there, and the falcon was very quickly on the scene letting me know he wasn't very happy about me being there. very quickly sank a nut and got out of there as he swooped us a fair few times.

never been so scared on an 11 in my life....i'd avoid unless you feel like soiling your pants a bit.

Andrew_M
30-Sep-2011
11:28:08 AM
Ah that explains things. We were on south mitre last week and saw the agitated falcon but luckily didn't get swooped. Hopefully she can have some peace...
kieranl
30-Sep-2011
12:45:48 PM
Got a little hassled high in the Beau Geste area of Northern Group last Saturday, but the birds lost interest after 10 minutes or so and a few swoops. It didn't get to the full=on attacks that I've experienced in the past so we must have been a good distance from their nest.
Might be having a bumper breeding season because of all the mice, rabbits etc.
pharmamatt
30-Sep-2011
2:42:27 PM
Has anyone put a note on the noticeboard/

Its a long weekend in south australia this weekend
Mike Bee
30-Sep-2011
2:57:09 PM
On 30/09/2011 pharmamatt wrote:
>Has anyone put a note on the noticeboard/
>
>Its a long weekend in south australia this weekend

There's at least 20 or so of us heading over for it too!

IdratherbeclimbingM9
30-Sep-2011
4:16:07 PM
On 30/09/2011 pharmamatt wrote:
>Has anyone put a note on the noticeboard/
>
>Its a long weekend in south australia this weekend

Long w/end in NSW too.
kieranl
6-Dec-2012
11:46:41 AM
ajfclark has reported a nest with several chicks on first pitch of Revelations. Will put a sign up there before weekend.

ajfclark
7-Dec-2012
12:28:23 PM
Might be a kestrel rather than a falcon, but either way, little birdies in the nook. Bit of a surprise that I got right up to them without seeing mum or dad.
kieranl
7-Dec-2012
9:34:09 PM
Sign is up. Didn't see the parent birds so not sure what type. Probably should modify the signs for next year so we're not talking about falcons when they're kestrels or owls or dodos instead.
kieranl
20-Dec-2012
4:03:54 PM
Went for a look this afternoon from high up on left could see 2 big chicks. Saw parents come in several times to feed and definitely kestrels. I thought they were peregrines because there was a peregrine flying about but it was definitely a kestrel doing the feeding.
From the size I would guess that the chicks can't be far off leaving the nest but the Serpent/Revelations/Bishop area should still be out-of-bounds for a little while longer.
maelgwn
21-Dec-2012
10:09:39 AM
Thanks Kieran. Saw the sign on sunday and changed plans accordingly, although it was a bit confusing referring to breeding season ending in Nov (not including December, when the sign was dated).
kieranl
21-Dec-2012
12:00:35 PM
On 21/12/2012 maelgwn wrote:
>Thanks Kieran. Saw the sign on sunday and changed plans accordingly, although
>it was a bit confusing referring to breeding season ending in Nov (not
>including December, when the sign was dated).
Thanks for the comment.It's the first cut of the signs and I expect that they'll be revised a little for next year.
kieranl
22-Dec-2012
11:28:56 AM
Chicks are clearly visible with binoculars from road into Mitre carpark. Had quite a good time there in the cool this morning watching the parents come in to feed them. You would be excused for thinking they are peregrine chicks as they appear to be enormous compared to parents.
kieranl
3-Jan-2013
10:16:44 PM
Chicks appear to have left the nest. No activity at the nest seen for a few days. Have taken down the sign
Access T CliffCare
4-Jan-2013
9:57:44 AM
On 3/01/2013 kieranl wrote:
>Chicks appear to have left the nest. No activity at the nest seen for a
>few days. Have taken down the sign

Huge thanks Kieran for keeping an eye on this and glad to see they have finally flown the nest :) As we discussed the other day, it looks like the other sign we had in place near Cassandra has been snaffled. It anyone has it, or removed it because there were no signs of chicks anymore, could you please leave it down near the toilet block in the Pines with a note saying Returning to CliffCare. It would be greatly appreciated. Might not look like much but still took volunteer time and materials to put together. Would be a shame if we had to make them every year.

Cheers,
Tracey

ajfclark
7-Dec-2015
10:16:30 PM
Chicks in this nest again. Parents didn't like anyone being near the base of serpent, fall of man, revelations, etc.
ldshield
8-Dec-2015
4:20:26 PM
I was there on the weekend and there were some, including chicks judging from the squawking, in a cave (I think) between Empire Strikes Back and Behemoth.

ajfclark
8-Dec-2015
4:39:09 PM
On 8/12/2015 ldshield wrote:
>I was there on the weekend and there were some, including chicks judging from the squawking, in a cave (I think) between Empire Strikes Back and Behemoth.

There's certainly a roost at least on that side, but I'd be surprised if there are two active nests that close together. When I climbed Nude Baloon Dance, I could actually see the young fluffy birds in the Revelations/Serpent/Fall of Man chimney from the rap station. That said, I'm not a bird watcher so maybe kestrels do nest that close to each other?
ldshield
9-Dec-2015
9:10:55 AM
The mate I was with thought they might have been something other than falcons but I don't recall what. In retrospect their wings did seem to be a bit too straight for falcons.
duglash
10-Dec-2015
10:01:09 AM
Yep, they're Nankeen Kestrels. Light brown and white and slightly smaller and lighter bodied than Peregrine Falcons (dark brown and white). I've actually seen a Peregrine kill a young Nankeen - just behind me on the top pitch of Bard.

There are 20 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints