Crag & Route Beta

Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
All WA (General) (General) (General)  

Author
Kokerbin Rock WA
kieranl
8-Sep-2011
3:46:54 PM

Came across this nice spot about 300 km east of Perth while on our travels. Couldn't find anything on WA websites about it but those flakes look like they've had chalk on them. Some good rock in this are but no bolts evident and little available protection. A few boulders too though the ones I looked at were a bit crumbly.
This is not far from the charming town of Bruce Rock. Let's just say that Bruce does not rock.
grangrump
8-Sep-2011
4:24:30 PM
Head SE to Hyden.
Overhanging wall ('Wave Rock')
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave_Rock

IdratherbeclimbingM9
8-Sep-2011
4:43:59 PM
Pretty as Wave Rock is, there is no climbing on it, both from a legal perspective, and also the practical perspective of it being almost blank (not to mention overhanging) rock regarding holds/protection.
~> At least that was the case back when I visited it in the mid 70's!
kieranl
8-Sep-2011
4:57:09 PM
We visited a lot of the granite outcrops around the southern wheat belt. Kokerbin has much more potential than Wave Rock and any of the others we saw. Still not extensive but if you were driving Perth-Kalgoorlie it could be worth a visit. Hardly any tourists, camping at base. I didn't have any climbing gear and it was blowing a gale and trying to rain.

ryguy
19-Sep-2011
2:21:42 PM
Just was at Wave Rock. It's a pretty big granite area beyond the little Wave section. I scoped about 40-50 boulders around, probably a few days worth of climbing if you cleaned it up. But it's a pretty friable fedlspathic grantite, where a lot of flakes will probably snap. I easily broke a hold off of just playing around, which ensued giggles from tourists.
You could get away from the tourist trekking around and clean up some problems if you wanted.

All around the monolith there is potential for heaps of slab short-wall bouldering with slanty landings (bleh).

Also I saw heaps of boulders along the Brookton Hwy, west of Brookton, on farmers land. Could be plenty of fun there.

Most of that is all irrelevant because no one would really travel to climb there regularly unless you were working with the mining and exploration east of there and you brought a boulder pad for extra PPE.

There are 5 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints