Crag & Route Beta

Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
All SA (General) (General) (General)  

Author
Sydney to Moonarie

Superstu
18-May-2011
4:48:32 PM
Well I was gonna have two weeks of fun at Arapiles but the long range weather forecast for Vic looks poo, so we're thinking of driving to Moonarie instead. Anybody done the drive from Sydney, and what did you find that was interesting to see and do along the way?

nmonteith
18-May-2011
5:19:13 PM
Yes - i did this drive last winter. We drove there over several days via Blue Mtns, Mudgee (wineries!), Dubbo (zoo), Bourke, Wilcania (mostly abandoned town with amazing old buildings), white cliffs (opals), Mutawingi National Park (awesome - spend 2 days there), Broken Hill, South East flinders rangers (no one at all!) and finally Moonarie. Drove home the VERY boring way via Mildura HUme home. Very tedious long flat drive with nothing to see on the way back.

Superstu
18-May-2011
5:28:55 PM
Sounds good. Did you go all the way south to Peterborough or cut across? From goog maps looks like you have no option but to go south.

Ahhh pooo...

> Mutawintji National Park
> Fires, floods and park closures
> Last update: 1/4/2011 1:16PM
> Closed areas
> Due to flooding the park is closed until further notice. For further information, please contact the local NPWS office > on (08) 8080 3200.
> The park will not be open for the April school holidays or the Easter long weekend.

nmonteith
18-May-2011
5:56:44 PM
On 18/05/2011 superstu wrote:
>Sounds good. Did you go all the way south to Peterborough or cut across?
>From goog maps looks like you have no option but to go south.

We cut across. It was awesome remote desert land - saw no one in an entire day of driving. Didn't need big 'proper' 4WD but Subaru would be vital. Sandy roads for hundreds of km. Quite a few cool abandoned old mine sites and springs to see. It took us all day driving from Broken Hill to Flinders via that way. I think we left highway at Yunta and finished in Craddock?
lacto
19-May-2011
3:43:45 PM
we flew from arkaroola to broken hill at start of may dont think water would be a problem go north from yunta to where ever you want to go in the flinders great looking cliff within 5 to 10 minutes walk of the arkaroola resort but it is a long way up there and if you do get big rains you can be stuck for ages waiting for the creeks to go down
ben wiessner
21-May-2011
6:56:09 PM
Hey Stu,
I was at Moonarie over Easter and the area is in a serious mouse plague. The sneaky buggers were getting into everyone's cars, there was no escaping them! Take plenty of mouse-traps (see if you can beat Singer's record: he got six in one day).
singersmith
23-May-2011
11:50:39 AM
Stu,

I've been up the Broken Hill way and would call it interesting but not really worth it unless you're into metal detecting (Broken Hill tailings or Waukaringa, for example) or there's something else you really want to check out along the way. Probably better to devote your time to getting there and climbing more. Lacking a suitable vehicle we went all the way to Peterborough, but the overland route through Waukaringa would be fun.

It's no joke about the mouse plague; I had to walk all over Port Augusta to find traps. All the locals were wide-eyed about the situation, "Ah, mate, I've got a lot of mice but no traps..." Four per night seems to be the magic number after which they leave you alone. Don't go without traps (tie the bait on), especially if you sleep in your rig, and include a sufficient number of suitable containers for your food.
Mike Bee
23-May-2011
1:23:07 PM
I was at Moonarie on the weekend. There's a few mice around, but I wouldn't call it a plaugue any more. Maybe the cold temps have killed a few off. We were careful about leaving out food out (and took all food down from Top Camp at night), but as long as you have a couple of plastic tubs or eskies to store the food in after you're done, they didn't seem to be much of an issue.

There are 8 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints