Page 2 of 3. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 46
Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
VIC Melbourne (General) (General) (General) [ Melbourne Guide ] 

Author
Merri Creek Glue up......
BA
20-Jan-2004
11:55:56 AM
The Merri Creek that Rein mentioned is the bluestone wreckage more or less below Rushall Station. It was only a couple of minutes walk from where we lived in Holden Street. A bit further downstream the "wall" becomes something like dirt with lumps of bluestone sticking out of it, I tried traversing it one day only to find that, below water level, the current had undercut the wall by about a metre. After getting back home the clothes were taken off and soaked in disinfectant and I had a good long hot shower, Merri Creek wasn't as 'clean' then as it is now!
joemor
3-Feb-2004
5:02:45 PM
photo............

nmonteith
3-Feb-2004
5:06:14 PM
scale that pic down dude!
Dalai
9-Feb-2004
12:31:22 PM
On 20/01/2004 BA wrote:
>The Merri Creek that Rein mentioned is the bluestone wreckage more or less
>below Rushall Station.

Went out to Rushall station wall on Saturday again, giving the place the benefit of the doubt that it may be not as bad as I remember...

It's worse!! Since last time the council have dug a drain infront of 'the cave'. In the process it looks like they had quarried some of the wall (probably just touched it and blocks fell off it).

I am stunned that you survived climbing on that wall at all BA!

alrob
28-Feb-2004
7:41:26 PM
there is a freeway piller about 2 minutes from my house which i noticed had bolt plates on it, about a year ago? actually got down there tonite with the new digi and took some photos. i have no idea who put them there, but the glue up has sorta been started.

The "offending" piller
The line of bolt plates
Bolted and glued on rock as a hold and bolt plate
lower pillar - possible boulder glue up site??
A chipped footer on the corner

joemor
29-Feb-2004
11:06:45 AM
i remember there being more holds on the upper part of the pillar?
dalai
29-Feb-2004
12:31:30 PM
Those hangers and start of a glue up have been there since the mid 90's by one of the Burnley developers.
The reason things only got so far is one of the houses overlooking the pillars called the police. After being taken down to the station and getting threatened that they would be charged and the gear confiscated development understandibly stopped.

alrob
29-Feb-2004
3:25:57 PM
ohh, ok then. it could have been good. joe, there were only a few holds on it, the highes being an proper plastic hold near the second bolt
Dalai
29-Feb-2004
4:49:54 PM
Alrob,

there is supposedly (2nd hand information) a vertical glue up traverse in one of the pedestrian tunnels under the eastern freeway near you.

The shorter pillar would be great for a steeper bouldering wall, but unfortunately as the wall is visible from the nearby houses, the authorities would be there very quickly...

Cheers Martin

tmarsh
1-Mar-2004
9:53:54 AM
On 29/02/2004 Dalai wrote:
>Alrob,
>
>there is supposedly (2nd hand information) a vertical glue up traverse
>in one of the pedestrian tunnels under the eastern freeway near you.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's on the bike path that winds its way around the freeway. And, if its condition 5 years ago was any indication, is shit. Dull vertical traversing on nasty glued on flakes of shit rock. It lacked the complexity of bluestone, and the fun of steeper stuff.

Oh, and it stinks of piss.

tim

alrob
1-Mar-2004
11:42:10 AM
yep martin, i know the one. like tim said, it is shit, it does smell, and it is utterly boring. plus, its been painted over, which makes it shit, smelly, boring AND slippery!
dalai
1-Mar-2004
11:45:57 AM
Glad I never went and checked it out then! Bluestone does in most instances climb far better than glue ups anyway. Just as it's close to where you live I thought it may have been worthwhile.

Rupert
1-Mar-2004
11:47:15 AM
On 1/03/2004 alrob wrote:
shit, smelly, boring AND slippery!

Once again thats word for word from my last performance review at work - amazing!

alrob
1-Mar-2004
11:48:00 AM
>The shorter pillar would be great for a steeper bouldering wall, but unfortunately
>as the wall is visible from the nearby houses, the authorities would be
>there very quickly...

couldn't there be something worked out with the local council, such is wat is supposedly happening with the authorities who tore down burnley?
joemor
1-Mar-2004
3:10:42 PM
night time mission me thinks....
(removed)
9-Mar-2004
11:53:44 AM
I wanna know why people feel the need to report this kind of thing to police. Really, who gives a shit ? Who are they helping anyway ? Geez some people shit me.
RK
24-Jan-2005
12:32:25 PM
Just stumbled on this facinating rambling dialogue. Pleased to know that after all the years of climbing and discovering great stuff in the "olden days" one is remembered for the true classics like "Bumbo's Flying Circus" and the Merri Creek "Bluestone Wreckage". Actually I'm surprised to hear that the latter is still there in any form. Fully expected it to have rotted away like BA's bedroom floor did in Holden Street - such was the corrosive nature of the creek and surrounding mud we lived on. BA is trully lucky to still be alive.

shortman
8-May-2011
8:23:32 PM
On 3/02/2004 joemor wrote:
>photo............
>

This picture shows the yarra, not the merri creek. And on that note, who would I need to get in contact with to fix and refine the bouldering around Melbourne guide bit on this site?

It's riddled with errors, and some don't exist anymore, and others have popped up.

shortman
8-May-2011
8:26:23 PM
On 28/02/2004 alrob wrote:
>there is a freeway piller about 2 minutes from my house which i noticed
>had bolt plates on it, about a year ago? actually got down there tonite
>with the new digi and took some photos. i have no idea who put them there,
>but the glue up has sorta been started.
>
>
> The "offending" piller
> The line of bolt plates
> Bolted and glued on rock
>as a hold and bolt plate
> lower pillar - possible
>boulder glue up site??
> A chipped footer on the
>corner
>
>

Also, this isn't far from my place, and I'd like to finish what someone started. I've got a heap of epoxy left over from a boat building project and would happily spend a few hundred dollars on holds to get it rockin.

Anyone wanna help?

Thinkin a few missions at night.

And I'll take the heat if we get caught.

Miguel75
8-May-2011
9:28:24 PM
On 8/05/2011 shortman wrote:
>And I'll take the heat if we get caught.

Heat schmeat Dan; don't let 'em take you alive...

Page 2 of 3. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 46
There are 46 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints