Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 21
Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
All TAS (General) (General) (General)  

Author
coles bay info

ChuckNorris
13-Apr-2011
6:36:55 PM
I tried doing the post under the beta forum. But gave up after some stupid endless loops in trying to make a new topic.

Nevertheless, I have a few questions for u folk:

Q1. Let me know if anyone is in the Coles bay area looking for a climb next week. I'll have all gear plus car. Sub 20 but follow harder. I'm there on family holiday but would like (need) a couple of days on rock.

Q2. Failing above are there any crags in the area particularly suited to self belay and/or TR?

Q3. Are there any places in the area I could set up easy TR's for a 5yo? She's tr'd up to 10 on rock (with a boost at the crux).

dalai
13-Apr-2011
7:26:54 PM
Moved it for you.

shortman
13-Apr-2011
7:30:25 PM
pm'ed ya!

ajfclark
13-Apr-2011
8:14:32 PM
You might get more bites posting on http://www.thesarvo.com.au/

Top ropes? Lassie's Wall? http://www.thesarvo.com.au/confluence/display/thesarvo/Lassies+Wall+and+Harlequin

shortman
13-Apr-2011
8:17:42 PM
On 13/04/2011 ajfclark wrote:
>
>Top ropes? Lassie's Wall? http://www.thesarvo.com.au/confluence/display/thesarvo/Lassies
>Wall+and+Harlequin

Probably not the greatest walk in for a 5yr old though.

ajfclark
13-Apr-2011
8:20:08 PM
Yeah, not much sprang to mind at all in that grade range. I don't remember the walk in to Lassie's being an issue though. Just wander down the ramp, Been a while since I was there though.
tas alex
13-Apr-2011
8:47:01 PM
the walk to lassie's wall is fine. you are probably thinking of harlequin access. the bottom end of lassies wall that you first walk past is low angle juggy rock, good for kids.

In terms of self belay TR, throw a rope down whitewater wall and you can do baystone blues 17 and the 19 next to it from the same anchor (with maybe a directional or 2), both great pitches

ChuckNorris
13-Apr-2011
9:12:25 PM
Thanks for all the info guys - looks like there is more than enough to keep me happy (with or without real flesh partner). Keep it coming...

Final big question....My (completely disorganized) Mrs has just found out that she has an online mid term test for her uni course. You guessed it, turns out it is open for exactly the same week as we are away. Are there decent internet cafe's around the place???
tas alex
13-Apr-2011
9:16:47 PM
there is an internet cafe in coles bay at the iluka bakery, but if the prices are anything like their food it will be ridiculously expensive. The 3G reception is good enough to tether your phone to a laptop, if that helps at all, and you have the hardware

shortman
13-Apr-2011
9:58:16 PM
I sh*t myself when my daughter goes near a 6in step. Maybe I'm a bit paranoid.

smiles

JamesMc
13-Apr-2011
10:21:20 PM
Took my youngest boy top roping at Lassies Wall when he was about eight. Gret spot for it.

JamesMc
scooby
13-Apr-2011
11:06:02 PM
My girlfriend and I will be down there for a few days paddling and climbing next week, have pm'd you my number.
Funnily enough I have a online test for uni then as well, so if you see a confused looking guy in the bakery internet cafe come and say gday

tnd
14-Apr-2011
8:35:45 AM
Does Gerry allow top roping in Tasmania now?
citationx
14-Apr-2011
9:09:25 AM
On 14/04/2011 tnd wrote:
>Does Gerry allow top roping in Tasmania now?

As long as it's not at the Ben and you don't use any bolts.

Sabu
14-Apr-2011
9:17:33 AM
Just remember that if you don't have a 4wd its likely you'll have to walk in to whitewater wall area + surrounds from the main road. Its about 5km or so from memory. Plenty to do up there, have fun!
bones
14-Apr-2011
9:21:37 AM
On 14/04/2011 Sabu wrote:
>Just remember that if you don't have a 4wd its likely you'll have to walk
>in to whitewater wall area + surrounds from the main road. Its about 5km
>or so from memory. Plenty to do up there, have fun!

Unless the track has deteriorated I think that's a bit misleading - plenty of 2wd's make the trip fine, although it is a rough track
Winston Smith
14-Apr-2011
9:21:37 AM
On 14/04/2011 Sabu wrote:
>Just remember that if you don't have a 4wd its likely you'll have to walk
>in to whitewater wall area + surrounds from the main road. Its about 5km
>or so from memory. Plenty to do up there, have fun!

You can get into Whitewater Wall in a 2wd as long as you take it slowly and don't rip the sump off on some of the ruts.

The sign certainly says 4wd only but I've only ever driven a 2wd.

widewetandslippery
14-Apr-2011
9:23:25 AM
I thought whitewater camp was 2wd accesssible. It was when i went there and have seen recent thesarvo posts saying the same.
citationx
14-Apr-2011
10:54:02 AM
On 14/04/2011 widewetandslippery wrote:
>I thought whitewater camp was 2wd accesssible. It was when i went there
>and have seen recent thesarvo posts saying the same.

I drove my little car out there with no worries. just be sure to think about what angle you want to take the bumps and dips, try get both tyres on the raised ridges in certain places and you'll be fine. oh, and after the first 500m (once you've slowed for the hideous dips) you may need to drive at around 10km/h just to be sure you get it all right...

freesolo
14-Apr-2011
9:07:38 PM
how is it that track hasn't been graded since i was there 6 years ago? or do they do it once a year the week before it rains madly?

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 21
There are 21 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints