ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Crag & Route Beta

Crag & Route Beta

Page 1 of 6. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 100 | 101 to 111
Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
All NSW (General) (General) (General)  

Author
Warrumbungles
superk
30-Mar-2010
2:32:43 PM
Just wondering if anyone is going to the Warrumbungles this easter? Me and the missus might go if the weather plays ball, but she doesnt climb and if anyones keen i would like to do a couple climbs. Never been there before and it seems a waste to go all the way up there and just walk! We will be camping since the hut is booked out. I can lead trad up to about 19 or 20.

Andy
citationx
30-Mar-2010
3:01:48 PM
Have heard rumours that someone is going there - can't remember who or where they were from (i've been in Vic with climbers recently as well), nor how hard core they are.
Regardless, you may stumble upon them if you're going anyway.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
30-Mar-2010
3:09:07 PM
... and a cast of thousands, as it is the known busiest time of the year for greatest number of park attendance there, many of whom are climbers...

nmonteith
30-Mar-2010
3:09:42 PM
I'll be there (in the hut!) with 6 others for all of Easter... pop in and say hi and i'm sure you can join up with one of our days out on the rock.

IdratherbeclimbingM9
30-Mar-2010
3:12:33 PM
Not good to mess with the Breadknife during busy time!
:-0
Heh, heh, heh.

Hendo
30-Mar-2010
3:27:05 PM
I'll also be there (probably outside the hut :S) with 5 others...

nmonteith
30-Mar-2010
4:08:15 PM
On 30/03/2010 Hendo wrote:
>I'll also be there (probably outside the hut :S) with 5 others...

We might throw you some scraps occasionally. :-)

pmonks
30-Mar-2010
4:12:27 PM
On 30/03/2010 Hendo wrote:
>I'll also be there (probably outside the hut :S) with 5 others...

Where are you all going to fit?? From memory there's not much flat ground outside the hut.
Auspep
30-Mar-2010
4:40:25 PM
There will be a bunch coming up from Newcastle aswell...

nmonteith
30-Mar-2010
5:31:24 PM
Anyone know what to expect from the hut? How many beds? I presume no mattresses?

IdratherbeclimbingM9
30-Mar-2010
5:47:07 PM
8 hard wood bunks, and if your unlucky a rodent or two.
No mattresses.
Guaranteed lurgy lurking on the wooden table though, unless you use newspaper or a tablecloth...
Nice outside dunny with a view.
A rain tank that usually has good water in it.
The back of the hut has a lean-to roof off it, and 3 can bivvy under it in amongst the fire-ash from past fires if the weather turns bad enough.
There is space for about 3 maybe 4 small tents crammed nearby at the back, and probably another 2 or 3 at the front/side.

wallwombat
30-Mar-2010
5:56:03 PM
8 beds, no mattresses and as M9 mentioned, invest in a cheap plastic table cloth. I'm sure most of the cases of Balor Hut gastro stem from that table and not the water. The water was fine when we were there and I believe there has been enough rain up that way for it to be fine now.

Anti-bacterial Wet Ones are nice to have too.

nmonteith
30-Mar-2010
6:13:20 PM
Cool! That answers most of my questions. Only one more - where do i plug in my drill?

kuu
30-Mar-2010
6:15:38 PM
On 30/03/2010 nmonteith wrote:
>Cool! That answers most of my questions. Only one more - where do i plug
>in my drill?

Oh Neil, you're really asking for it!

wallwombat
30-Mar-2010
6:21:12 PM
>in my drill?

I have a suggestion but I'm not sure you will like it ; )

IdratherbeclimbingM9
30-Mar-2010
6:23:24 PM
On 30/03/2010 kuu wrote:
>On 30/03/2010 nmonteith wrote:
>>Cool! That answers most of my questions. Only one more - where do i plug
>>in my drill?
>
>Oh Neil, you're really asking for it!

Yeah, I'm sure if he asks nicely enough the Ranger will tell him exactly where to-
;-)
superk
31-Mar-2010
8:48:19 AM
choice we will pop in. looking forward to it!

the weather forcast is looking good atm.

andy
widewetandslippery
31-Mar-2010
8:51:02 AM
Its worth noting that you don't have to camp at the hut. There are sites at Ogma and Dows Camps. Walking up to Ogma rather than the hut gives you great views of Bluff mtn. When I stayed at Ogma we walked up, set up camp, walked around to the hut with a collapsable water jug, filled up from the tank and walked back to the tents. Enough water for the trip. Good flat tent sites around the hut can go fast.

evanbb
31-Mar-2010
9:23:33 AM
>in my drill?

How many volts is the drill? You could probably rewire it to recharge direct from a DC solar panel.
Auspep
31-Mar-2010
9:54:19 AM
A drill seriously wouldn't be a bad idea up there...

I'm not talking Grose valleyesque bolted classics, derinately not, keep it long loose and natural in my books!

But some (most) of the bolted anchors on the harder routes up there are in dire need of replacement. i.e. the single carrot anchor on Ginsburg that is sticking 3 inches out of the rock and is bent down at nearly 90degrees. Haven't been up on it yet, but I'm sure all the bolts (if you can find them) on Crucifixion are rusted stumps.

Kudos to Sydney Rockies for rebolting the most used rap anchors a few years ago!

Also, you wouldn't be the first to put bolted routes up there anyway. If you climb straight out the top of Caucusus Corner there is a line of hangers (prob 7 or 8) that go through the overhung choss at the top!

Page 1 of 6. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 100 | 101 to 111
There are 111 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints