Page 2 of 4. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 63
Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
All ACT (General) (General) (General)  

Author
Niblo Boulders - Cooleman Ridge - Canberra

ajfclark
9-Mar-2011
3:00:54 PM
That's a shame. That was a great place to buy pot meet people I hear.
widewetandslippery
9-Mar-2011
3:03:04 PM
Thats the one.

And while we are on the topic of things ACT one of the suburbs in the north, east of Northbourne used to have a putt putt golf centre. Still there?

And while I'm at it people keep telling me there are pubs in Canberra. I am yet to see one. Beer barns, uni bars, wankfests like Pheonix, Irish theme pubs (which dont cut it in my book) but no pubs. Whats the deal?

cruze
9-Mar-2011
3:18:13 PM
Maybe your idea of pub is different to mine.

Wig and Pen. City. Microbrewery out back, great evolving range of tasty ales. Yes, there will be uni students there because it is halfway to the bus interchange from ANU.

All Bar Nun. Turner. Good drop in vibe. Again yes there is a high likelihood that some of the patrons attend university.

I am sure that Tuggers and the Creek have a few pubs that might be a little more to your liking.

rodw
9-Mar-2011
3:20:45 PM
If you have to wear shoes in the pub, WWS wont be impressed :)

ajfclark
9-Mar-2011
3:21:37 PM
Is the Contented Soul still in Woden?

[ Apparently kinda? http://the-riotact.com/the-rebirth-of-the-ole-soul/2307 ]
One Day Hero
10-Mar-2011
12:09:23 AM
On 9/03/2011 wombly wrote:
>On a (slightly) related topic, I'm moving to Canberra during the next few
>months. From a climbing perspective, where would you advise I live for
>the optimum climbing convenience?
>
Live northside, between the city and Canberra Uni if you can find a place/afford it. You'll be half an hour further from the granite and river crags, but half an hour closer to Bungers and sandstone. Easy ride to work, easy walk to nightlife (well, the canberra version of nightlife anyway)

Living in weston creek gives you very fast access to climbing, but you'll be riding 40min-1hr each way to work so I reckon you'll do less in the long run.

wombly
10-Mar-2011
9:12:31 AM
Thanks guys - all good info. Turner and Weston creek both look like reasonable options. My current commute has been about 13 km through sydney hills/traffic, so 16 along bike paths and relatively flat terrain doesn't sound too bad, but I Guess I'll just have to see what the canberra rental market spits at me for the first option.

Dane
10-Mar-2011
1:47:17 PM
It's less than 40 minutes to Belconnen, and under 30 to ANU from Weston Creek, at least at my pace... it's actually faster than driving in and finding a place to park
hipdos
11-Mar-2011
8:16:12 AM
On 10/03/2011 wombly wrote:
>Thanks guys - all good info. Turner and Weston creek both look like reasonable
>options. My current commute has been about 13 km through sydney hills/traffic,
>so 16 along bike paths and relatively flat terrain doesn't sound too bad,
>but I Guess I'll just have to see what the canberra rental market spits
>at me for the first option.

We started renting in Duffy a few months ago so don't know the place backwards, but this much is true:
- You can get a reasonably priced rental property in the Weston Creek area, we have a neat 3 bedroom house for $470/wk. We saw a lot of dives for $550 though!
- The bike paths into the city are really nice- along the Molonglo river, over the dam and around the lake. Quite flat all the way. You can shoot up Black Mountan on the way if you are feeling energetic or the bike path is too flat for you...
- There is no pub in Weston Creek! There is the 'Weston Club' but that is just plain terrible.
- I've been riding a lot since we came down here, both mtb and roadie and there are fantastic options for both right on our doorstep.

ajfclark
11-Mar-2011
8:21:06 AM
Is 8-ball Palace/Pendos/whatever it's called still there? Been ages since I headed to Coolo.

cruze
11-Mar-2011
9:19:53 AM
I seem to remember a tavern at Cooleman Court. That was back in the late 80s early 90s. Opposite where liquorland now is (used to be).

ajfclark
11-Mar-2011
9:39:04 AM
On 11/03/2011 cruze wrote:
>I seem to remember a tavern at Cooleman Court. That was back in the late
>80s early 90s. Opposite where liquorland now is (used to be).'

With the logs on the front wall?

8 ball place/pendos was a pool hall under the indoor cricket centre...

ajfclark
11-Mar-2011
9:40:30 AM
On 11/03/2011 davidn wrote:
>If it is, I certainly don't know it by that name... But that's not unusual,
>people have been climbing there since the 80's but no proper info recorded
>until Chris Warner's guide.

I meant Cooleman Court. Coolo, Belco, Tuggers, etc...

cruze
11-Mar-2011
10:28:51 AM
On 11/03/2011 ajfclark wrote:
>On 11/03/2011 cruze wrote:
>>I seem to remember a tavern at Cooleman Court. That was back in the late
>>80s early 90s. Opposite where liquorland now is (used to be).'
>
>With the logs on the front wall?

That's the one - still there?

ajfclark
11-Mar-2011
10:43:14 AM
I don't think so

cruze
11-Mar-2011
10:59:01 AM
Here's a great thread for us once-a-bogans (and possibly still boganesque) that grew up in the Creek:
http://the-riotact.com/down-memory-lane/8096
One Day Hero
11-Mar-2011
11:53:41 AM
On 11/03/2011 hipdos wrote:
>- I've been riding a lot since we came down here, both mtb and roadie
>and there are fantastic options for both right on our doorstep.

Yep, Duffy would be a sweet place to live if you like riding. Stromlo on your doorstep, and instant access to the Cotter-Uriarra loop (I love that ride)

So, the problem with living in The Creek is that all the other youngish outdoorsy people live in the inner north, and are mega-snobby about driving south for social reasons. So, every night that you want to go out/visit someone, you'll have to drive (no drinking). And, it'll mean riding home from work to get changed and then driving back to where you were..........while all your northside mates started drinking an hour and a half ago!

Unless you're mega serious about outdoor stuff and don't want a social life, I'd go with Turner. And if you're mega serious about outdoor stuff and don't want a social life, why not move to Horsham instead of Canberra?
grangrump
11-Mar-2011
12:10:04 PM
On 11/03/2011 davidn wrote:
>I do know what coolo is - give me some credit!
If you're bouldering at the Cooleman Court outcrop, well...

Oh for some decent suburban bouldering.

cruze
11-Mar-2011
12:56:37 PM
On 11/03/2011 grangrump wrote:
>On 11/03/2011 davidn wrote:
>>I do know what coolo is - give me some credit!
>If you're bouldering at the Cooleman Court outcrop, well...

Ha!
hipdos
11-Mar-2011
1:02:48 PM
On 11/03/2011 One Day Hero wrote:
>Yep, Duffy would be a sweet place to live if you like riding. Stromlo
>on your doorstep, and instant access to the Cotter-Uriarra loop (I love
>that ride)

Yes x10 - living in Duffy has exceeded all my bike riding expetations! It has also sent me broke buying new bikes and bike gear.

>Unless you're mega serious about outdoor stuff and don't want a social
>life, I'd go with Turner.

Totally agree with this. I have a wife, dog, a job with long hours and an exercise habit that all keep me from needing (or having) much of a social life. There is nothing going on socially in the Weston Creek area, particularly if don't have a circle of friends there that you grew up with.

Page 2 of 4. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 63
There are 63 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints