Page 3 of 4. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 79
Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
All NSW (General) (General) (General)  

Author
change in access to cosmic county/freezer nsw
widewetandslippery
7-Mar-2011
9:55:20 AM
Yep, group smuggness without imaginary friend.

BundyBear
7-Mar-2011
10:03:51 AM
Here is a Piccy from the Monk's cave at Wingello. They love rock climbing and play there bells all day long.. Its awesome !!

wallwombat
7-Mar-2011
10:19:11 AM
I think those monks at Wingello are overdoing it a bit with the chalk.

E. Wells
8-Mar-2011
6:18:49 AM
I went to the county on Sunday, a perfect overcast Autumn day, and there wasnt a soul there or at the freezer or the railway cliffs, which has me confused as to why this is so controversial. We walked from the dam cliffs. You can walk around the fence immediately where you park, and then later as the road veers up left to meet the intersection (beneath retreat) there is a loose chain on the gate which you can walk through. I guess it added ten minutes. We did spot a menapausal looking short cropped lady taking video evidence of the tranquil valley and we joked of how an advertisement for a bush retreat might include sport climbing tantrums, drills, and clanging of hexes etc..
citationx
8-Mar-2011
8:45:04 AM
On 8/03/2011 dangermouth wrote:
>I went to the county on Sunday, ......
>is a loose chain on the gate which you can walk through. I guess it added
>ten minutes.

Well, you've just hardened ODH's resolve, THIS would make for an interesting youtube special...and I quote, "I'm going to time the drive+walk. If the Dam Cliff approach adds more than 10mins each way, the monks can suck my balls! "

IdratherbeclimbingM9
8-Mar-2011
9:45:00 AM
On 8/03/2011 citationx wrote:
>On 8/03/2011 dangermouth wrote:
>>I went to the county on Sunday, ......
>>is a loose chain on the gate which you can walk through. I guess it added
>>ten minutes.
>
>Well, you've just hardened ODH's resolve, THIS would make for an interesting
>youtube special...and I quote, "I'm going to time the drive+walk. If the
>Dam Cliff approach adds more than 10mins each way, the monks can suck my
>balls! "

~> We will be able to deduce any ODH fantasies by how slowly he walks?
;-)
ademmert
19-Apr-2011
9:29:13 PM
Anyone got a easy map to follow into these areas?

Cheers
onsight
20-Apr-2011
9:39:20 AM
On 19/04/2011 ademmert wrote:
>Anyone got a easy map to follow into these areas?

Yes, it's in the guidebook.

;-)

nmonteith
20-Apr-2011
10:35:06 AM
On 20/04/2011 onsight wrote:
>Yes, it's in the guidebook.

Really? I had a look in the new guide with Adam the other day and I couldn't see an overview map which showed how to walk from the Dams Cliff Carpark end to the Freezer. The Freezer map only showed the now banned method of walking past the Buddhist retreat place.
SimMad
20-Apr-2011
11:52:05 AM
On 19/04/2011 ademmert wrote:
>Anyone got a easy map to follow into these areas?
>
>Cheers

Get it sorted Demmert!!
citationx
20-Apr-2011
2:39:02 PM
On 20/04/2011 captainpant wrote:
>On 19/04/2011 ademmert wrote:
>>Anyone got a easy map to follow into these areas?
>>
>>Cheers
>
>Get it sorted Demmert!!

Oh no, are we being overrun by you Mexicans again this long weekend? Sounds like Demmert is already here. I think i'll be leaving town earlier than originally planned, in that case!
ademmert
20-Apr-2011
2:59:00 PM
On 20/04/2011 citationx wrote:
>On 20/04/2011 captainpant wrote:
>>On 19/04/2011 ademmert wrote:
>>>Anyone got a easy map to follow into these areas?
>>>
>>>Cheers
>>
>>Get it sorted Demmert!!
>
>Oh no, are we being overrun by you Mexicans again this long weekend? Sounds
>like Demmert is already here. I think i'll be leaving town earlier than
>originally planned, in that case!

Ho ho

any takers on a map for the area???
widewetandslippery
20-Apr-2011
3:15:16 PM
After Bell on the train keep a close eye out to the left after a couple of tunnels. When you see the crag hit the emergency brake.

aarond
20-Apr-2011
5:44:29 PM
Mike Law's 94 Blue Mts pocket guide has a map.
onsight
20-Apr-2011
8:38:55 PM
On 20/04/2011 nmonteith wrote:
>On 20/04/2011 onsight wrote:
>>Yes, it's in the guidebook.
>
>Really? I had a look in the new guide with Adam the other day and I couldn't
>see an overview map which showed how to walk from the Dams Cliff Carpark
>end to the Freezer. The Freezer map only showed the now banned method of
>walking past the Buddhist retreat place.

Oh dear... There is an area overview map on page 69 of the new guide and it also says what to do in the Freezer intro: it's very simple. Same maps are in the 2010 guide too.

sbm
20-Apr-2011
10:41:59 PM
On 20/04/2011 onsight wrote:
>On 20/04/2011 nmonteith wrote:
>>On 20/04/2011 onsight wrote:
>>>Yes, it's in the guidebook.
>>
>>Really? I had a look in the new guide with Adam the other day and I couldn't
>>see an overview map which showed how to walk from the Dams Cliff Carpark
>>end to the Freezer. The Freezer map only showed the now banned method
>of
>>walking past the Buddhist retreat place.
>
>Oh dear... There is an area overview map on page 69 of the new guide and
>it also says what to do in the Freezer intro: it's very simple. Same maps
>are in the 2010 guide too.

I didn't remember any overview maps in the 2010 guide but you're right; page 259. Small and a bit awkward matching it with the damn cliffs map but the info's there. Shame you wrote all that info about the Donald rd access that's now out of date.

The Dam Cliffs road can be a bit of fun after rain in a 2wd with poor ground clearance. Couple of weeks ago, as well as the standard potholes there were a few biiig puddles covering the road, my mate got out to check the depth, chucked a big stick in the middle and it disappeared! '...Better go as far right as you can ay'.

Anyway at least there's still a road. The access situation for canyoners trying to get in to Claustral at the moment is looking worse - they're talking about an extra 2 hours of creek bashing being required after one of the landowners built a house on the old trail.

nmonteith
27-Feb-2012
9:49:19 AM
We were at The Freezer on the weekend - and walked in via the Dams Cliff / railway lines way. There were at least 15 other climbers at the cliff - every one of them had walked in via the now off-limits Buddist Retreat road. I questioned them about signs - and they all saw the no entry signs but since there was no sign telling them an about an alternative method of getting in they ignored them. Most of these climbers were from overseas or interstate and were using the 2010 Simon Carter guide which shows the access only via the off-limits road. There is actually no clear map showing the Dams Cliff walk-in method (Correction - apparently there is but i can never find it when I look for it out at the crag!). So I couldn't show them the alt method in. They also followed a local climber who drove in because they had a key to the railway gate. Surely this sort of blatant disregard for private property is going to cause some major headaches for access in the future for these crags? Someone needs to install a BIG sign at the Buddhist retreat entrance stating that access is closed, and ignoring it will be detrimental to climbing access in the overall area. And most importantly there needs to be a map showing the alternative access method along the Dams Cliff/Railway lines track.

nmonteith
27-Feb-2012
10:10:22 AM
p.s. I would install a sign and talk to the land managers myself - but the last time time i tried to talk to Bluies rangers on behalf of climbers about another issue (Nick Kaz bad bolts) I got a severe bollocking from 'locals' because I wasn't a 'local' and 'locals' wanted to handle the issue themselves.
mikllaw
27-Feb-2012
12:21:09 PM
"If" the buddists don't won't people walking down the road (and I'm sure the landowners don't like people on their road either) we can walk down the fence between them and the crown land immediately to the east of them. This crosses no private property and will only add 2 minutes to the walk.

Green solid line is drive and park
Gree dotted line is walking
Red square is budhist retreat
blue dotted line is proposed walk -this would need minor clearing, and there is a slight uphill to get back up to the intersection tree.

nmonteith
27-Feb-2012
12:49:08 PM
Looks like a good solution Mike - mainly because you don't have to walk anywhere near the train lines. Currently the walking track on the outside of the fence next to the train line is totally overgrown - so it forces you to jump/squeeze the fence and walk along next to the train line - not ideal.

Page 3 of 4. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 79
There are 79 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints