ROCK
   HARDWARE

Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Crag & Route Beta

Crag & Route Beta

Page 3 of 6. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 100 | 101 to 106
Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
VIC Melbourne (General) (General) (General) [ Melbourne Guide ] 

Author
Burnley closure??

ajfclark
27-Sep-2010
3:17:28 PM
Reinforcing the bed of the road and the support structure to carry the weight of bigger trucks.

Miguel75
27-Sep-2010
3:18:15 PM
Crap!! I was gettting stoked to play at Burnley all Summer long (after work).... now I'll have to go back to laying around doing nothing!

nmonteith
27-Sep-2010
3:21:21 PM
I find it a bit of a worry that they didn't build the road strong enough to start with? How old is it? It can't be more than 20 years. Same with the Westage Bridge. They are spending literally billions making it stronger so it can handle the grid-lock every day. Some seriously short-sightness from the engineers on these projects.
devlin66
27-Sep-2010
3:23:13 PM
Unfortunately a lot of the time with these projects it's not the engineers but the bean counters that dictate the life span these installations.
patto
27-Sep-2010
3:58:20 PM
As I understand it. It isn't the life span its the original engineering design. Again my understanding is that the original engineering design was found to be insufficient to meet safety standards.

But the length of closure and delays are a construction and prioritising issue. There is very little importance placed on minimising inconvenience for climbers and cyclists.

nmonteith
27-Sep-2010
4:02:40 PM
Cars are still driving on this overpass aren't they? Surely its doesn't take a year to strengthen two pillars? There would be 10s if not hundreds of them along that freeway?

Sabu
27-Sep-2010
4:11:54 PM
Its the same reason it took them years to add an extra lane and resurface the damn thing. And even now we're not allowed to drive at 100...

ajfclark
27-Sep-2010
4:19:50 PM
I'm pretty sure the trunks are getting bigger than what the engineers took into account. I vaguely recall some mention of b-triples at some stage too though that might've got shut down...

There's a few projects in Melbourne's history that seem to have that same shortsightedness though. Fixing the Bolte Bridge/Westgate intersection was something that shouldn't have needed to be done. Any moron could've looked at the traffic flows the original design was going to create and think "Wow, that'll be a joke in peak hour".

I also remember Connex complaining that the city loop was designed with 30 seconds to open, unload, load and close at each platform during peak hour...
gfdonc
27-Sep-2010
4:55:25 PM
On 27/09/2010 nmonteith wrote:
>Cars are still driving on this overpass aren't they? Surely its doesn't
>take a year to strengthen two pillars?

It does if you're paying people by the hour ..
egosan
27-Sep-2010
5:16:38 PM
unfortunately they are not strengthening two pillars. They are compressing every beam with some great big orthidonture. That and there is no incentive for them to finish on time.

JamesMc
27-Sep-2010
9:40:09 PM
The freeway upgrade is to carry the extra weight vehicles from squeezing in an extra traffic lane.

JamesMc

VicRoads
egosan
27-Sep-2010
10:02:33 PM
On 27/09/2010 JamesMc wrote:
>The freeway upgrade is to carry the extra weight vehicles from squeezing
>in an extra traffic lane.
>
>JamesMc
>
>VicRoads

Then we blame you!
Rocafella
28-Sep-2010
7:58:58 AM
Just a suggestion, but maybe you could all just go to the Lactic Factory for your fix? Problem solved
Paz
28-Sep-2010
8:45:17 AM
On 28/09/2010 Rocafella wrote:
>Just a suggestion, but maybe you could all just go to the Lactic Factory
>for your fix?

it's so hard not to be sarcastic to such a post...
here goes,
I'm sure a lot of people would agree they love paying $15 to be squeezed into a small room with 30 other stinky people so everyone can flex their ego's while doofing to loud electronic....Burnley's problems may (nearly) always be the same, but at least it's, free; on the river; not crowded; did i mention free?

maybe this freeway crud is just an elaborate ploy to boost numbers at the spastic factory...

Problem solved

vomit
egosan
28-Sep-2010
8:47:14 AM
I bit my tongue. I am glad you didn't, Paz.

JamesMc
28-Sep-2010
9:24:15 PM
On 27/09/2010 egosan wrote:
>On 27/09/2010 JamesMc wrote:
>>The freeway upgrade is to carry the extra weight vehicles from squeezing
>>in an extra traffic lane.
>>
>>JamesMc
>>
>>VicRoads
>
>Then we blame you!

Don't blame me - it's the other guys' road.

JamesMc

BenHev
29-Sep-2010
3:54:59 AM
On 27/09/2010 egosan wrote:
> They are compressing every beam with some great big orthidonture.

If you were wondering what that meant, it looks like this

compressing the outer lane cross beams

and length ways beams

kieranl
14-Oct-2010
10:06:12 PM
On 14/10/2010 nfljerseys wrote:
>100% Stitched(not printed) Jersey. This Mitchell And Ness Cleveland Browns
>....SPAM! SPAM! SPAM! SPAM!

Chuck Norris
14-Oct-2010
10:24:50 PM
Any feedback on the light issue? Personally I think requesting spot lights blah blah is OTT and will have little chance of being accommodated. But there are a few places under the freeways where they have a style of permanent downlight that would be far better than the oblique light from the misdirected bike track lights. Is there a better chance of one or two of these being installed in the bouldering area?

For example - underneath the Collins St bridge in Docklands. Also underneath the SE freeway bridge over Hoddle st...etc...

ajfclark
15-Oct-2010
7:51:29 AM
There has been some feedback on the lighting issue. Something along the lines of "Some additional lighting will be provided" but the details are scant. Ben may know more but he's on holiday at the moment.

Page 3 of 6. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 100 | 101 to 106
There are 106 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints