Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Crag & Route Beta

Crag & Route Beta

Page 1 of 5. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 89
Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
VIC All (General) (General) (General) [ Victoria Guide | Images ] 

Author
Latest Road and Track reports for Grampians.
Access T CliffCare
5-Jun-2009
9:48:37 AM
Hi All,
Most recent road and track report 13/12/12 can be viewed here on the CliffCare site along with the flood recovery update http://cliffcare.org.au/grampians/

cheers,
Tracey

nmonteith
5-Jun-2009
9:57:02 AM
On 5/06/2009 access t wrote:
>Stapylton Campground:
>Works will continue at Stapylton Campground over the next few weeks. The
>campground will remain open but sections of the campground may be closed
>for works.

What changes are they working on? Can i suggest a large sound barrier like the ones on the highway between the shelter shed/groups area and the rest of the campground? :-)
BA
5-Jun-2009
11:29:27 AM
On 5/06/2009 nmonteith wrote:

>What changes are they working on? Can i suggest a large sound barrier
>like the ones on the highway between the shelter shed/groups area and the
>rest of the campground? :-)

You've got my vote Neil :-)
sch
7-Jun-2009
11:43:35 AM
It is interesting that parks management clearly want everyone to camp at the bigger official campgrounds despite the increase in numbers and conflict this will create. Noise from other campers especially large groups is a significant issue, eg punchup at the pines. We were left a nasty note by the ranger telling us not to camp at the bush site nearby. The claim was it was less than 1k from Stapylton campground and we should camp there. It is more like 3 k and even from that distance we could hear the sounds of youthful exuberance well into the night. Another claim was our fire was left alight. It was infact buried under 5 cm of soil with a proper shovel and in a spot that is clear of vegetation for 10 m and has been used as a fireplace for more than 10 years by us and many others. It was also the middle of winter, raining and the area had been burnt by DSE only a few years prior. I suspect the ranger was looking to log a report against bush camping to further their cause to herd everyone into a few big areas.
Access T CliffCare
1-Feb-2010
12:48:06 PM
updated 29 Jan, 2010
Cheers,

Tracey
Access T CliffCare
9-Dec-2010
12:58:55 PM
Update 9/12/10 due to flooding in area
Access T CliffCare
25-Dec-2010
11:40:12 AM
bump 25/12/10

And to all - have a great festive season!

Cheers,

Tracey
Access T CliffCare
17-Jan-2011
5:58:25 PM
bumped this with the last report uploaded and also recent flood update
Access T CliffCare
24-Jan-2011
3:39:20 PM
update today for 26th January Australia Day

Cheers,

Tracey
ZERO
11-Feb-2011
12:26:49 PM
On 7/06/2009 sch wrote:
Another claim was our fire
>was left alight. It was infact buried under 5 cm of soil with a proper
>shovel and in a spot that is clear of vegetation for 10 m and has been
>used as a fireplace for more than 10 years by us and many others. It was
>also the middle of winter, raining and the area had been burnt by DSE only
>a few years prior. I suspect the ranger was looking to log a report against
>bush camping to further their cause to herd everyone into a few big areas.

You have just declared your complete ignorance of fire regulations.
Burying your fire is not the appropriate way of extinuishing, especialy under only 5cm.
This only protects ash and coals from the rain, and they can rekindle after being exposed to air.
The Bushfire Act stipulates that fires are to be extinguished by water so that you can place your hand in the ash/coals.
And just because the area was burnt only a few years previously does not mean it cannot burn again in the present.
Rangers have an ungrateful job to perform, and the constant dealing with irresponsible park users for such a piffy wage is a hard slog.

ajfclark
11-Feb-2011
12:55:04 PM
Not sure sch will see your reply here... They last logged in 25/06/2009 at 7:11:19 PM
kieranl
20-Feb-2011
6:27:50 PM
Here’s a small update on some track conditions within the Grampians as of today. Billywing Road from Henty Highway at Glenisla was open with no signs or gates. Red Rock Road had wide-open gates. I didn’t go around towards Buandik but didn’t see any sign of gates on that road.
Red Rock Road was in reasonable condition. There were some repair works just after leaving Billywing Rd; these looked much the same as they were after the December rain event, before the big January wet. Muline Creek crossing had a bit of sand but not bad. A standard car might scrape the sand with their engine base though. There had been lots of trees down but these had been cleared. There was one tree still down, probably fell over the last few days, but I cleared enough to get by.
Emu’s Foot Track was traffickable until the rise just before the Eureka Wall parking spot where there was a tree across the road. This will need a chainsaw to clear. I walked from there to Emu’s Foot and there were no other obstacles. There are a couple of eroded spots on this track but nothing that would require 4WD.
From there went down Red Rock Road, across the Glenelg ford, through Red Rock Picnic area and out to the Henty Highway over the other ford. There was a locked gate at the other side of this ford, barring access from the other direction, but there was a well-defined track around it so I took that and got back to the highway.
According to the latest update on the Parks website(dated 10/2) all of these tracks are closed but on the ground it looks like they’re in the process of being opened. From what I saw, access to Red Rocks, Mount Fox, Muline, Lost World and Eureka Wall is OK. As I didn’t go around towards Buandik I can’t say what the situation is there but there was certainly no visible closure near the junction with Red Rock Road.
Access T CliffCare
20-Feb-2011
7:35:37 PM
I have a meeting with the Grampians Head Ranger on Tuesday to discuss the situation and current progress re climbing areas and following that a general stakeholders meeting and tour of some damaged areas. I'm sure we will have a clearer idea of things after that

Cheers,

Tracey
kieranl
20-Feb-2011
7:47:28 PM
Hi Tracey,
I was quite surprised to find the roads open. I would guess that they are probably about to formally re-open some of these. I didn't see much evidence of water damage where I was but there had been a lot of trees cleared from Red Rock Road.
Access T CliffCare
20-Feb-2011
7:59:03 PM
On 20/02/2011 kieranl wrote:
>Hi Tracey,
>I was quite surprised to find the roads open. I would guess that they
>are probably about to formally re-open some of these. I didn't see much
>evidence of water damage where I was but there had been a lot of trees
>cleared from Red Rock Road.

You're probably right Kieran.
While some areas/roads have quite a lot of water damage and are closed for that reason, others have been awaiting and are required to have risk assessments carried out and tree risk removal. With the huge amount of work and areas to assess, unfortunately its taking a while to get around to all of them. I know this to be the situation with other parks as well.
kieranl
20-Feb-2011
8:41:46 PM
There's also a large landslip just over a km east of Emu's Foot, not that wide but quite long coming from high on the hillside. No roads there to damage though.
Access T CliffCare
23-Feb-2011
10:44:36 PM
More info to come on this shortly. Attended a couple of meetings in the Gramps and was also taken on a guided walk up Silverband Road to see one of the large landslides that will be a major headache for a long time to come. Large isn't even the right word for it. To be honest I was blown away

Lots of notes to get into some kind of concise document...
Access T CliffCare
27-Jun-2011
12:41:43 PM
New update 24th June, 2011 - see top post
gfdonc
27-Jun-2011
2:44:32 PM
Thanks for the updates, Tracey, and for acting as a conduit between the authorities and the climbing community. Much appreciated.

I must confess I've become very cynical about these closures. The authorities seem hellbent on keeping the public out of the parks for liability issues. That is, the same public who provide a mandate and funding for the parks in the first place.

Yesterday I was in regional Victoria (nowhere near the Grampians) and passed a 'road closed' sign. The sign was beside the road rather than across it and it was not obvious it was an attempt to close it. We drove through to the end (about 5km later where the lesser road reached the next major road) and saw a similar sign at the other end.

Yet the road section we drove was perfectly well graded and in great condition apart from one small muddy/soft patch on one side of the road (about 2.5m x 1m) which could easily be driven through in a 2WD vehicle (or even driven around without leaving the road).

My conclusion is that the token 'closure' sign was only there to avoid liability if anyone had problems (which was extremely unlikely). I don't think this occurrence is isolated.

dalai
27-Jun-2011
4:02:21 PM
In regards to the Grampians I have to disagree. I was up at Stawell over Easter to watch the Gift and ducked into Halls Gap one morning. There we went into the Grampians Furniture to look at his beautiful pieces and got to chat with the owner. He showed photos he had taken on some of the roads which were closed... We aren't talking about a few puddles, but whole sections of roads washed away, as where quite a few bridges. Major infrastructure works will be required to get these open again!

Page 1 of 5. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 40 | 41 to 60 | 61 to 80 | 81 to 89
There are 89 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints