Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Crag & Route Beta

Crag & Route Beta

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 22
Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
VIC Grampians Northern Mt Stapylton Amphitheatre Epsilson Wall [ Grampians Guide | Images ] 

Author
Project at Stapylton
kieranl
29-Oct-2009
10:41:01 PM
Anyone know the details of the seam on the far right of the overhanging wall on the Let X=X terrace. Apparently it's now been equipped, tried and tagged. Just curious. I tried to point a few people at it over the last 15 years or so. Good to see someone has taken up the challenge. I always wondered if the last couple of metres was feasible but could never be bothered rapping it to check as it was obviously out of my league.

nmonteith
29-Oct-2009
10:47:21 PM
I think this is an a-team project. Philnev, alrob or grosey will be able to say more...

phil_nev
30-Oct-2009
9:11:22 AM
On 29/10/2009 kieranl wrote:
>Anyone know the details of the seam on the far right of the overhanging
>wall on the Let X=X terrace. Apparently it's now been equipped, tried and
>tagged. Just curious. I tried to point a few people at it over the last
>15 years or so. Good to see someone has taken up the challenge. I always
>wondered if the last couple of metres was feasible but could never be bothered
>rapping it to check as it was obviously out of my league.

Hi Kieran, you are correct, it has been equipped and is ready to be sent (Still a closed Project though :). I spied the line whilst up there doing your routes and came back and bolted it a couple of months later.
Its about 23 ish to the halfway break, then its turns it on pretty quickly, two very hard boulder problems in a row to the top! It will certainly go, how hard though i'm not sure, perhaps 30+.
Chers,
Phil
kieranl
30-Oct-2009
9:16:20 AM
Hi phil, good to hear that it's being worked on. As I thought, it's miles out of my league. I've noted it in the ACA guide as a closed project.
kieranl
9-Dec-2010
11:10:29 AM
Does anyone know anything about the route that's been bolted directly up from the initial traverse of Walking And Falling on Epsilon Walls? I know Will Monks top-roped it some time ago.
kieranl
9-Dec-2010
12:24:28 PM
I think I've got Steve's email somewhere. I'll have to prod him for a write-up.
MichaelOR
9-Dec-2010
10:31:46 PM
Yeah, Steve botled and ticked it a little while back. 24 is the go.
Climbs well too.
kieranl
9-Dec-2010
10:50:03 PM
Thanks Mike.
Steve has got back to me and description is now on ACA - Riding and Climbing 24 sport.
kieranl
9-Dec-2010
11:03:44 PM

And here's a preview of a new cliff that will hopefully be public soon (as soon as it stops raining long enough). This route is grade 18 sport and yes it is as steep as it looks and as good as it looks.
crm114
9-Dec-2010
11:26:29 PM
Any broad hints on where the new area is..? Looks pretty interesting.

nmonteith
10-Dec-2010
12:17:57 AM
Looks awesome Kieran,
KP
10-Dec-2010
1:18:01 AM
it looks like a slab!!
kieranl
10-Dec-2010
6:42:01 PM
On 9/12/2010 crm114 wrote:
>Any broad hints on where the new area is..? Looks pretty interesting.
Grampians

phil_nev
13-Apr-2011
3:26:25 PM
On 9/12/2010 kieranl wrote:
>
>And here's a preview of a new cliff that will hopefully be public soon
>(as soon as it stops raining long enough). This route is grade 18 sport
>and yes it is as steep as it looks and as good as it looks.

When do we find out about this place??

nmonteith
13-Apr-2011
3:46:32 PM
I guess after the roads to the cliff get re-opened!
pharmamatt
13-Apr-2011
6:27:40 PM
On 10/12/2010 kieranl wrote:
>On 9/12/2010 crm114 wrote:
>>Any broad hints on where the new area is..? Looks pretty interesting.
>Grampians

Style/grades?
kieranl
13-Apr-2011
10:12:21 PM
I was hoping to have finished a couple of other things and opened it up for Easter but the road closures have got in the way.
The wall pictured is the best single bit of the crag and is all sport. Currently has 4 excellent sport routes grade 17-20 (one at each grade), 20-25 metres long, plus another warm-up route at 16 and a couple of harder lines that have worked on top-rope and will probably prove too hard for me and I expect to be open sport projects when the area reopens.
There's quite a lot of other rock in the area but it's scattered, currently 3 easy trad routes and 1 sport.
I'm a bit embarassed about keeping it closed for so long.
Ethos is good gear. If the gear is poor, place a bolt; if it's mostly bolts make it all bolts.
** post-edit ** Sorry KP some of the climbs have obligatory slab moves
kieranl
13-Apr-2011
10:22:39 PM
And to drag this thread back onto topic, how's that seam at Stapylton going?

alrob
14-Apr-2011
8:39:18 AM
It shall be seeing some action over Easter I expect ;)

phil_nev
26-May-2011
12:26:21 PM
On 13/04/2011 kieranl wrote:
>And to drag this thread back onto topic, how's that seam at Stapylton going?

I have tried it Kieran but its pretty hard. It has 3 distinct sections
1. Grade 23/24 start, bouldery moves on good holds to the massive jug at half height
2. V7/8 Boulder problem to shallow rail and tough bolt clip
3. V9/10 Boulder problem with huge deadpoint/dyno to finish

I did quite a few of the moves in the hard section, but there was a couple of spots where I could barely hold my weight onto the wall. :(

An early guess for me would be 31++

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 22
There are 22 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints