Shop
Chockstone Photography
Australian Landscape Photography by Michael Boniwell
Australian Landscape Prints

Chockstone Forum - Crag & Route Beta

Crag & Route Beta

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 29
Area Location Sub Location Crag Links
VIC Arapiles (General) (General) (General) [ Arapiles Guide | Arapiles Images ] 

Author
Rainy Day Options at Arapiles(and Gramps)
olbert
25-Sep-2009
2:26:49 PM
What rainy day options are there at Arapiles?

I have been to Hollow Mountain Cave and couldnt pull my ass off the floor so I dont really wanna go back.

I'm thinking maybe something up to the mid twenties in sport climbing in the Grampians if there is nothing that is doable at Arapiles.
WM
25-Sep-2009
2:40:42 PM
Araps:
Flight Deck, but careful on the approach.
Mandible (19 on Fang Buttress) stays very dry if you finish at the retro chains of Wagalak.
i'm sure others can add more

this is a previously posted list for the Grampians - with approx dryness ratings (out of 10):
millennium 9
gallery 9
muline 9
ravine R side 9
Bundaleer L side 9
Hollow Mtn Cave 9
red cave 9
amnesty 8
mt talbot 8
curiosity steep routes 8 (and Axe wall is ok too, maybe 6)
sentinel 8?
spurt wall 8 (gets zero direct rainfall, but can get spoodgy)
centurion 7? (ok for a few hours but then seeps?)
sandinista 7
van diemans 7
olive caves 7
Taipan R side 7 (belayer gets the odd drop though)
The Tower 7
scoop rocks 7?
upper cut lunch 6 (access pitch is a 3)
ruined castle 6? (access pitch 4?)
Cave Cliff / Sundeck 6 (and the lunch cave is a 10!!!)
Flat Iron 6
red rocks steep routes 6
gilhams 5

there's probably more.
Duncan
25-Sep-2009
2:45:12 PM
Kindergarten?
hero
26-Sep-2009
10:57:21 AM
Batcave. Intrepid. Cyclops.

Chuck Norris
26-Sep-2009
8:37:49 PM
Thanks for the good suggestions above, but most of the routes suggested so far seem to be pretty steep. Does anyone know of sub-15 multipitch slabs that are good in the rain? Preferably less than 10 minutes walk from the car.
hero
27-Sep-2009
10:20:00 AM
mantis
Wendy
27-Sep-2009
5:40:41 PM
On 26/09/2009 stugang wrote:
>Thanks for the good suggestions above, but most of the routes suggested
>so far seem to be pretty steep. Does anyone know of sub-15 multipitch slabs
>that are good in the rain? Preferably less than 10 minutes walk from the
>car.

well, they all make good waterfalls in the rain. we'd all walk 10mins to admire a good waterfall. And the climbing's probably no worse.

on a slightly more helpful note, the In phase/Hurts wall seems to have seen quite a bit of action this weekend despite the terrible weather. the saving grace was the southwesterly wind so the area is both steep and sheltered.
Hermes
27-Sep-2009
7:10:20 PM
Lamplighter can be good depending on how much wind comes with the rain
Andy
jgoding
28-Sep-2009
9:51:19 PM
A trip to the wineries at Coonawarra is always good...only 1/5hrs from Araps...

Eduardo Slabofvic
29-Sep-2009
8:23:17 PM
On 26/09/2009 stugang wrote:
>Thanks for the good suggestions above, but most of the routes suggested
>so far seem to be pretty steep. Does anyone know of sub-15 multipitch slabs
>that are good in the rain? Preferably less than 10 minutes walk from the
>car.

VB

D.Lodge
29-Sep-2009
8:39:26 PM
I was at sentinel cave on friday and spurt wall on saturday and sunday all were great just the top of menstrual was wet on sunday. So a 9 out of ten for them, but it was about 5 degrees as well brrrrrrrrr

Chuck Norris
29-Sep-2009
9:17:34 PM
On 29/09/2009 Eduardo Slabofvic wrote:
>On 26/09/2009 stugang wrote:
>>Thanks for the good suggestions above, but most of the routes suggested
>>so far seem to be pretty steep. Does anyone know of sub-15 multipitch
>slabs
>>that are good in the rain? Preferably less than 10 minutes walk from
>the
>>car.
>
>VB

Bollocks you drink VB "Eduardo". Why don't you come out of the closet and confess to your recent
reorientation to become the magnificent Miss Edwina Drimartini.

One Day Hero
30-Sep-2009
10:03:43 AM
Piece of crap! I haven't touched rock in ages and the weather looks shit for ALL of NSW this w/e, hence I'm entertaining thoughts of driving 1500k's round trip for three days of climbing. Does anyone have a feeling for what the weather's going to be like in the Gramps? Is it wet now? What are the chances that I'll end up sitting in the pub the whole time with a huge case of carbon emmitter's remorse?

cruze
30-Sep-2009
10:10:57 AM
Hey mate
The weather in the wimmera looks fricking awesome for the weekend. cool (cold overnight) and sunny with light breezes. Don't need a webcam for this one. It's a no brainer.
We were considering driving to Point Perp last weekend (from Melb) until we put our brains back in.

nmonteith
30-Sep-2009
12:11:09 PM
Looks like i've made the right choice then... i'm booked in for 4 days in the Grampians this WE!
One Day Hero
30-Sep-2009
1:25:32 PM
Righto, sounds like common sense is going out the window and we're going for the meters climbed : meters driven ratio of 1 : 50 000 !?!

Bugger the polar bears, eh? Taipan here I come!
WM
30-Sep-2009
1:26:16 PM
On 30/09/2009 One Day Hero wrote:
> Does anyone have a feeling for what the weather's going to be like in the Gramps? Is it wet now?

the forecast looks deluxe, you should go for sure.

there's been 4 months of above average rain (Mt William getting 125mm-200mm per month, Horsham 50-85mm per month), including plenty last weekend, so seepage lines might be flowing. Crags with no catchment above should be in great nick this weekend - eg at Rosea last week seepage only affected a couple of routes

edit: whats on the list at taipan?
2nd edit: Melbourne climbers average 600-700km per climbing trip - so your emissions will hardly make a dent
One Day Hero
30-Sep-2009
1:43:00 PM
On 30/09/2009 WM wrote:
>edit: whats on the list at taipan?

Considering how little climbing I've done of late, the answer is most likely a great big arse whooping.......davo, however, seems to have hit some form.

Thanks a f---ing million, by the way, to chockstone's south australian contingent! I was supposed to get some good miles in at Bungonia on the weekend. Instead, my warmup stroll on Iron Curtain turned into a protracted shakefest as I dealt with thick red dust on every bloody hold!! (good lockoff training, brushing and blowing EVERY hold for 150m) I hope in future the crow eaters can manage to police up their dirt instead of sending it over to crap up our rock.

Robb
30-Sep-2009
2:03:51 PM
tuffen up ODH. gonna be great weather at Moonarie this weekend.

nmonteith
30-Sep-2009
2:07:36 PM
On 30/09/2009 One Day Hero wrote:
> Instead, my warmup stroll on Iron Curtain turned into a protracted
>shakefest as I dealt with thick red dust on every bloody hold!! (good lockoff
>training, brushing and blowing EVERY hold for 150m)

Blowing dust of every hold at Bungonia is the usual situation isn't it? It's just usually black lichen instead.

Page 1 of 2. Messages 1 to 20 | 21 to 29
There are 29 messages in this topic.

Home | Guide | Gallery | Tech Tips | Articles | Reviews | Dictionary | Forum | Links | About | Search
Chockstone Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | Landscape Photos Australia

Please read the full disclaimer before using any information contained on these pages.

Australian Panoramic | Australian Coast | Australian Mountains | Australian Countryside | Australian Waterfalls | Australian Lakes | Australian Cities | Australian Macro | Australian Wildlife
Landscape Photo | Landscape Photography | Landscape Photography Australia | Fine Art Photography | Wilderness Photography | Nature Photo | Australian Landscape Photo | Stock Photography Australia | Landscape Photos | Panoramic Photos | Panoramic Photography Australia | Australian Landscape Photography | High Country Mountain Huts | Mothers Day Gifts | Gifts for Mothers Day | Mothers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Mothers Day | Wedding Gift Ideas | Christmas Gift Ideas | Fathers Day Gifts | Gifts for Fathers Day | Fathers Day Gift Ideas | Ideas for Fathers Day | Landscape Prints | Landscape Poster | Limited Edition Prints | Panoramic Photo | Buy Posters | Poster Prints